Anyone have experience with the TENRYU RAYS RZA60MLM

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Anyone have experience with the TENRYU RAYS RZA60MLM

Post by John G » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:24 pm

I'm thinking about getting this rod and pair it with a Daiwa Luvias 1500. I did a search on the word 'Alter' and I see that guys have bought the 6'1" L and the 6'2" UL version of this rod. The one that I'm interested in has more power than the others and that's fine with me. It would be sharing duties with my other trout rod which is throwing little minnows and small cranks and small spoons. I would be using 3 or 4 pound Sunline Sniper. I'm in Florida and my target fish are Bluegill and Shellcracker but I'm guaranteed to catch bass with it. Am I on the right track with this rod or do y'all have any other suggestions? If anyone makes a suggestion for another rod, one thing that I have to have is cork.

Alphahawk, I just watched your video on the Tenryu Rayz Spectra and that's also another one that I should be looking at. I should be looking at that one versus one that I posted about originally.

As far as buying a different rod, that's very good possibility and I am definitely open to suggestions. And ultralight bass rod would probably serve me better but I don't want anything made by Shimano and I have to have cork and I have to have a JDM rod. I don't have anything against Shimano but I don't want to put a Daiwa reel on a Shimano rod.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anyone have experience with the TENRYU RAYS RZA60MLM

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:29 pm

May not be super helpful but, I will provide this info just to add to whatever research you have done.

I have fished the Tenryu Rays Spectra 51L BFS rod. Why I mention it is because it was a very versatile rod. The upper third of the blank loaded pretty light to cast light lures at close range. The mid section has a nice progressive taper that leads into a good backbone, which will give under decent force.

Being a MLM, that rod will probably act similar but, smoother and more power given the length and rating increase.

It was my friends rod and he caught quite a few panfish, bass and small pike with it. Always seemed to have that good mix of fun and function.

I'd throw some things braid to a leader for line, this will give you some more versatility and, give you more wiggle room to handle the random bass.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:41 pm

Hobie, thank you for all the info but I bought a completely different rod. I bought what Tenryu calls Nature Game. It's a 6'3"L. The Jerkin model.

Last edited by John G on Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:32 am

Seems like that will give you the faster action you would need. Still give some under pressure too.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:28 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:32 am
Seems like that will give you the faster action you would need. Still give some under pressure too.
Using the search feature on Tackle Tour, I'm pretty sure I read where someone was saying that the guides on one of their trout rods actually preferred monofilament over braid. On the rod that I just bought, Tenryu says the guides are for monofilament and PE line. Do you know about this sort of thing? Do you know if there would be a problem using FC? If mono or PE is the way to go, do you have a favorite JDM monofilament in 3 or 4 pound test? Thanks

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:37 am

Here are the comments about JDM trout rods favoring one line over another.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:08 am

Proshop Otsuka gave me a refund so I could buy the 6' Tenryu that I originally wanted. :D

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:22 am

Here it is. What a beautiful rod. :D
This probably 18 year old Luvias 1500 is still brand spanking new. The knob is riveted on so it doesn't have any bearings. After a little research, I found out that ZPI made a handle for this reel so I bought one and all I'm waiting on now is a cork knob and then I can add two bearings. I'm still waiting on some line so I haven't had a chance to use it yet.