Fiberglass BFS Trout Rods

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Fiberglass BFS Trout Rods

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:17 pm

ras wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:50 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:02 pm
ras wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:15 pm
I know a few guys who use 22 M-Aire MG-50LC UD and say they can't get enough of it for 4-5 g sinking minnows. I use a spinning version, MG-50LS UD, and can say the same thing. UL stream fishing and glass have become synonymous to me.
UD glass is super crisp and responsive...you gotta pay to play though. I'm glad to see advancements in rod technology
I thought new Finetail Glass rods were also made of UD glass. I was very tempted to get one when they just came out – that initial price tag paired with strong dollar was less than $100 delivered... I'm curious how this model series fares against their more expensive counterparts from boutique makers.
I have the same thoughts as well. I will be doing some comparisons with a variety of glass rods.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

2por
Angler
Angler

Post by 2por » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:44 pm

Just has a recently had a Silver Creek Glass Progressive 5'1" shipped in. I didn't realize how "stiff" the rod would feel when I first put my hands on it (Tsurinoya Ares is my only other rod for comparison). Felt like it might have been a little too powerful. I didn't even try braid on it and went straight to mono.

They do winter stocking at ponds around the state, so I tested out the rod out on those stockies. Landed a nice 17 incher with that rod plus a good handful of other sized trout. That "stiffness" I thought the rod had was a total misconception LOL... The rod has a nice, smooth give when a fish is on, especially on 12in+ fish. The way the rod loads feels so good for some reason. It may be because I have only ever fished the Ares which maxes out pretty quickly, power wise.

Another note would be how ridiculously sensitive this rod is. The composite aspect of the rod really does some heavy lifting for the rod sensitivity. I felt much more of the lure action/vibrations when using mono line, which was surprising. Mono is definitely the way to go on the SCGP rod. Can't wait to get it on a stream!

The bad thing though... It has gotten me curious about the ultralight version of the SC Glass progressive haha! I'm also interested in full glass rods. I haven't ever used a full glass rod, but have a feeling I would love it. The tip seems much softer than the composite SCGP rod, and I would appreciate that since I use hardbaits almost exclusively when BFS fishing for trout.

@Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Have you ever considered trying out those Resilure rods?

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:28 am

I feel with the boutique makers, they also make their own blanks. UD, S, and E glass are all different and one will work better for some things than others. UD glass has all fibers running parallel, unidirectional. E and S glass are woven and therefore heavier and a more lively tip. Looking at rods like the Dankung and Anglo, they appear to be E glass based upon action alone, they have a very lively tip. Rods like the MC and Silver Creek are a stiffer blank with the qualities inherent of UD glass. The more limber tips of E and S glass better lens themselves to moving baits like spoons, spinners, and some plugs while UD is best with twitch baits minnows and jigs. This is all just my opinion of course so your mileage may vary. Here's a great article about the difference in fiberglass blanks. It is about fly rods but the same logic applies. https://www.epicflyrods.com/blogs/news/ ... ated-equal

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:19 am

Thanks for the info about fiberglass. I like the pros/cons that fishing brings. Really allows the anglers to fully exploit properties of materials to fully suit their needs.

I agree with mono on the 51 Glass Progressive. I currently have 8lb on for some winter steelhead action. I haven't got any yet but...gotta be prepared.

I haven't tried any rods from Resilure.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:23 am

Our steelhead run is pretty bad right now downstate, all of the rivers are very low and we haven't had much rain to push fish into the systems. There are some fish, but it's taking a lot of luck and patience right now.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:17 am

tincanary wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:23 am
Our steelhead run is pretty bad right now downstate, all of the rivers are very low and we haven't had much rain to push fish into the systems. There are some fish, but it's taking a lot of luck and patience right now.
We just had a snowstorm and some rain so, should start up good in the UP soon. You think the Glass Progressive will stand up to modest sized steelhead?

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:04 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:17 am
tincanary wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:23 am
We just had a snowstorm and some rain so, should start up good in the UP soon. You think the Glass Progressive will stand up to modest sized steelhead?
I think it depends on which size is in question. The fish where I am in SE MI seldom grow more than 10lb and it's completely workable with those. Lake Michigan steelhead are a different strain than the Erie fish and can get much bigger. As long as your drag is set right you should be ok. I actually have a Smith Troutin'Spin BC 65ML 3g-12g I use for them most of the time. That extra length helps with a surging fish and the limber tip keeps them nicely pinned. As long as you aren't fishing around a ton of wood you should be fine with the Glass Progressive. I've caught 10lb+ sheephead on mine fishing for perch and gills. Here's a shot of my Smith.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:03 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:22 am
I use NTY Windshadow if long casts are not needed. It's really slow action, like a rubber hose. I have solid 110 cm blank to build a rod during this winter. I'm pretty sure that this is same blank as in LEYDUN Micro UL or AIOUSHi. That's really fast action / truly backbone as such light action rod.
I looked what ATC microwawe guides costs, and decided to spare those and ordered Leydun rod:
Leydyn_solid_glass_rod.jpg
Leydyn_solid_glass_rod.jpg (28.14 KiB) Viewed 3066 times
I probably don't like reelseat and grip in this rod, and I'm probably making some improvement for these.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:32 pm

I ordered a 4'10" 1/16-1/4 from Shane today. I picked his brain a little as to his source for blanks, turns out it's he himself rolling them. He bought Steffen Brothers a couple of years ago so now he's nearly building from scratch sans guides and reel seats. Steffen Brothers were a very well known botique fly rod manufacturer known for their high quality blanks and it appears to be that Shane is keeping the legend alive. The rod I bought today is his own blank with a progressive taper and deep bend. Should be a lot of fun to use. http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot. ... s.html?m=1

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:22 am

tincanary wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:32 pm
I ordered a 4'10" 1/16-1/4 from Shane today. I picked his brain a little as to his source for blanks, turns out it's he himself rolling them. He bought Steffen Brothers a couple of years ago so now he's nearly building from scratch sans guides and reel seats. Steffen Brothers were a very well known botique fly rod manufacturer known for their high quality blanks and it appears to be that Shane is keeping the legend alive. The rod I bought today is his own blank with a progressive taper and deep bend. Should be a lot of fun to use. http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot. ... s.html?m=1
This is awesome, it is great to see someone in the US trying to keep craftsmanship and tradition alive and well as opposed to doing a bulk order from Ali Baba and slapping their name on it. Let us know how you like it!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:38 am

tincanary wrote:
I did some prototype testing for Shane with glass BFS rods. The few rods available are pretty close to the final product. Getting some feedback on the initial rods for sale will help finalize the product. I think it is best to get feedback from multiple anglers in order to create the best product.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:31 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:38 am
tincanary wrote:
I did some prototype testing for Shane with glass BFS rods. The few rods available are pretty close to the final product. Getting some feedback on the initial rods for sale will help finalize the product. I think it is best to get feedback from multiple anglers in order to create the best product.
If I really like this rod, I want to have him build something in the 5'-ish range on a S glass blank rated for somewhere between 1/16-3/8 or so. That would be a great rod for the lake run browns that are on the Lake Huron tributaries in the spring and early summer. Steelhead would also be great with something like that. Shane shipped my rod out this morning so I should have it by the weekend hopefully. He's only an hour away from me.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:11 am

Do you think a slightly longer blank would help with the variety of size fish that could be running? Too long can get sloppy on the cast though.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:09 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:11 am
Do you think a slightly longer blank would help with the variety of size fish that could be running? Too long can get sloppy on the cast though.
I feel in a longer rod that Shane would have to use a different weave or roll a thicker blank to keep the tip from being too lively. Like you were saying, too slow of a tip will make for sloppy casting, but they are good for soaking bait though if drifting crawlers or crickets is your thing.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:31 am

tincanary wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:09 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:11 am
I feel in a longer rod that Shane would have to use a different weave or roll a thicker blank to keep the tip from being too lively. Like you were saying, too slow of a tip will make for sloppy casting, but they are good for soaking bait though if drifting crawlers or crickets is your thing.
Not me, I like to ride by the seat of my pants for reaction strikes \:D/