Fiberglass BFS Trout Rods

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fiberglass BFS Trout Rods

Post by tincanary » Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:33 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:31 am
tincanary wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:09 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:11 am
Do you think a slightly longer blank would help with the variety of size fish that could be running? Too long can get sloppy on the cast though.
I feel in a longer rod that Shane would have to use a different weave or roll a thicker blank to keep the tip from being too lively. Like you were saying, too slow of a tip will make for sloppy casting, but they are good for soaking bait though if drifting crawlers or crickets is your thing.
Not me, I like to ride by the seat of my pants for reaction strikes \:D/
Same here. The only time I soak bait is when I'm sitting in front of a hole in the ice.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:10 am

Shane's rod came in yesterday, the action feels great for creek fishing. It will be good for brookies as well as resident browns and rainbows. I'd also like to fish gills and perch with it on the St Clair River delta, it would be right at home there as well.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:33 am

tincanary wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:10 am
Shane's rod came in yesterday, the action feels great for creek fishing. It will be good for brookies as well as resident browns and rainbows. I'd also like to fish gills and perch with it on the St Clair River delta, it would be right at home there as well.

Great looking setup!

Bamboozle
Angler
Angler

Post by Bamboozle » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:53 am

New to the board so hello all and thank you for allowing me to disrupt things... ;)

I REALLY want a hollow fiberglass BFS casting rod for flick casting at 4'10" or so but I want a 2 piece blanks not three or more.

I would have jumped at the opportunity to get a rod from Shane at Graywolf but he told me he wouldn't do a 2pc which is strange if he is rolling his own BFS blanks like was suggested.

I reached out to Darren Keats and he may have a couple of 2 piece blanks but I was wondering if there were other options I should know that might get a rod in my hand a little faster and for less freight.

I'd prefer a rod made in Japan, the US or the EU.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer!!!

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:09 pm

Bamboozle wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:53 am

I REALLY want a hollow fiberglass BFS casting rod for flick casting at 4'10" or so but I want a 2 piece blanks not three or more.

These are spectacular rods, I almost went with the 3 piece version, but another brand won out on for aesthetic reasons. Not sure of your budget, these are pricey.

https://www.taperandshape.co.jp/glasswa ... out-v-new/

Bamboozle
Angler
Angler

Post by Bamboozle » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:34 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:09 pm

These are spectacular rods, I almost went with the 3 piece version, but another brand won out on for aesthetic reasons. Not sure of your budget, these are pricey.

https://www.taperandshape.co.jp/glasswa ... out-v-new/
Hmmmm? That looks interesting...

Do you know if it is made in Japan?

BTW - What other brand won out for aesthetic reasons? ;)

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:21 pm

Yes, MIJ.
MIJ.JPG
MIJ.JPG (34.38 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
I ended up going with an M-Aire MG-53MLC (Bait) UD Glass T2-Torzite to match to a red Abu and I wanted something more capable of mid-stream. Had to pre-order as it's not available until May. The wait will be a bi*tch. I really like the Taper and Shape though, there are some you tube videos and it looks like an excellent caster.
22_mg53mlc_01.jpg
22_mg53mlc_01.jpg (50.71 KiB) Viewed 2599 times

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:00 pm

Re multi-piece glass rods vs two-piece glass rods: I thought glass blanks were more prone to warping, especially those with thinner walls, hence the preference for shorter pieces in manufacturing, particularly in L/UL ratings. Perhaps ,not generally true and someone might correct me.

Bamboozle
Angler
Angler

Post by Bamboozle » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:38 am

ras wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:00 pm
Re multi-piece glass rods vs two-piece glass rods: I thought glass blanks were more prone to warping, especially those with thinner walls, hence the preference for shorter pieces in manufacturing, particularly in L/UL ratings. Perhaps ,not generally true and someone might correct me.
There are a slew of glass fly rods out there old & new from 5'0" to 9'0", I know because I own a bunch and they are fine so "warping" isn't an issue.

IMHO - The multi-piece thing with short glass BFS rods is marketing to people that intend to hike into remote places to fish versus someone like me who isn't and wants less pieces to lose. ;)

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:55 am

Warping of fiberglass can happen if you store the rods at an angle or other position that stores the rod slightly bent (say against a wall).

Quality multi piece rods still have a smooth taper. I can say, traveling with 2 piece rods around 5ft is a pain for checked bags. Those multi piece rods the same length can fit in your carry on.

The hiking thing is kinda overrated. Hiking from a cleared parking spot using a well groomed trail to the stream some people consider hiking. I like to keep my rod/reel/lure rigged as much as I can. I see people break down rods just to re-rig the same combo over and over...without any need to break it down in the first place. I can see if the rod/reel changes frequently or if there is a brushy hike through thick brush or whatever but...I suppose some people enjoy rigging up a setup near the stream. I prefer to fish ASAP.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Bamboozle
Angler
Angler

Post by Bamboozle » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:35 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:55 am
Warping of fiberglass can happen if you store the rods at an angle or other position that stores the rod slightly bent (say against a wall)

The hiking thing is kinda overrated. Hiking from a cleared parking spot using a well groomed trail to the stream some people consider hiking. I like to keep my rod/reel/lure rigged as much as I can. I see people break down rods just to re-rig the same combo over and over...without any need to break it down in the first place. I can see if the rod/reel changes frequently or if there is a brushy hike through thick brush or whatever but...I suppose some people enjoy rigging up a setup near the stream. I prefer to fish ASAP.
The resin in a graphite rod can warp too if not stored properly or the maker didn't "spline" the rod correctly and the guides are not in the optimum position on the bank.

However the real enemy is PROLONGED stress and heat. If you store glass, graphite or even bamboo fishing rods correctly (COMPLETELY DRY, apart and in a rod bag, their tubes or a case) they will never warp or take a set regardless of their length and I have a 100+ year old and a couple of 70+ year old bamboo fly rods plus some 50 & 60 year old glass rods to prove that point.

In regards to taking rods apart...

I once lost the tip section of a pricey 4 piece graphite fly rod carrying it down to the stream apart and not strung up. I also lost the tip section of the first fishing rod I ever bought carrying it home apart in sections.

For those reasons NOW the rod goes to the water strung up and comes back the same way. If there is brush to the point of being almost impassable (which in all honesty is almost nowhere) I have a some rod sacks I made that allow me to carry the rod in sections with a closed flap with the reel attached but I've used them twice in my life.

I'm hoping for a two piece 4"10 fiberglass BFS rod because to me three pieces on a rod that short is just not necessary and is just another thing to look after.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:23 pm

Bamboozle wrote:

http://www.palms.co.jp/rod/product/?name=sylpher

Palms makes a 2 peice 4-11 glass rod, titanium guides all for $300. Pretty readily available at some of the common shops. Not sure if it is MIJ or not.

https://tulalajp.com/product/tulala-tru ... rus-411-ul

One of my favorite brands Tulala makes a grip joint 4'11 and if it is anything like their other rods it is tough as nails. I doubt this one is MIJ as from my experience only thier highest (Harmonix) lineup is MIJ. Cool rod though

I'm on a hunt for another possible rod, so I run across these gems.

Bamboozle
Angler
Angler

Post by Bamboozle » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:01 am

Thanks for those links!

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:27 am

Bamboozle wrote:
New to the board so hello all and thank you for allowing me to disrupt things... ;)

I would have jumped at the opportunity to get a rod from Shane at Graywolf but he told me he wouldn't do a 2pc which is strange if he is rolling his own BFS blanks like was suggested.

I reached out to Darren Keats and he may have a couple of 2 piece blanks but I was wondering if there were other options I should know that might get a rod in my hand a little faster and for less freight.

I'd prefer a rod made in Japan, the US or the EU.

I know your preference is for a rod not made in China, but you may want to look into the Daiwa Silver Creek Glass Progressive. Granted, it is 1/3 carbon, but the action is really nice and it has some great backbone. The fit and finish of the rod is better than any of my Loomis and St Croix spinning rods, and if you didn't know any better, you'd think it was a Japanese made rod. Daiwa owns and operates their own factories in China, Thailand, and Vietnam and doesn't rely on OEMs like some other manufacturers. I used mine more than any of other my rods last season and landed everything from small brookies to angry sheephead (freshwater drum for you non-Midwesterners) with it. It's my favorite rod thus far. Hobie has one as well and has put some videos up on YouTube about it.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:50 am

I have posted photos of my two glass rods from Resilure elsewhere on this forum.
I have never held or seen any rod that comes close to his rods in fit, finish, and sheer beauty - that includes any rod I have ever seen on TT.
Works of art that are fantastic to fish with.

….If Bamboozle wants something made in EU.