Does anyone own the Abu Ultracast BF8

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Does anyone own the Abu Ultracast BF8

Post by John G » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:07 pm

I've never owned an Abu and I'm curious if it's worth buying. There's not too much about it on YouTube as far as real world testing in English that I can find but I do see where it has a fairly heavy spool. I didn't see an upgrade on Hedgehog's website either.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Does anyone own the Abu Ultracast BF8

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:04 am

My brother has it. He is not that impressed. He and I use a lot of Shimano, Daiwa and ABU reels. His fave ABU is the Revo ALC - non-BFS version (you can get BFS aftermarket spools for it incl DIY).
Generally, I prefer Shimano and Daiwa especially when it comes to low profile reels (not having tried the recent Zenons).
The ABU are certainly not bad reels, but the two big Japanese competitors just do better with low profile options.
Still, I do have a soft spot for the round ABU reels.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:40 am

Abu make a nice reels for BFS fishing,a most popular small ambassadeurs 1500C and 2500C ,in stock they're have a heavier spool,but it's a tons of upgrade for them,it's cost,but in the end you'll have one of the best reels for stream fishing.
Serie Revo good too,mostly have a linear magnets brakes,and it's a wok horse. I have a both kind and recommend to try it.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:03 am

Thanks for the replies. My biggest problem with this real is the 90 mm handle and the gigantic knobs. If I didn't have to upgrade the handle and the knobs right away, I would get it.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:52 am

John G wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:07 pm
I've never owned an Abu and I'm curious if it's worth buying. There's not too much … real world testing …
Have you checked a site called TackleTour.com? 🙄
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:14 am

Cal wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:52 am
John G wrote:
I've never owned an Abu and I'm curious if it's worth buying. There's not too much … real world testing …
I did check the review section of the website that you speak of but I didn't see anything. I'll check again.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:19 am

Cal wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:52 am
John G wrote:
I found your review and I'm getting ready to read it now. Thank you

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:33 am

I bought it. Yay. :D

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:44 pm

John G wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:33 am
I bought it. Yay. :D
I'd like to know how it performs. A 12 gram spool is fairly heavy for a BFS reel. I'd think the reel would perform best with light shaky heads or general finesse baits, using light braid for extra capacity.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:11 pm

John G wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:19 am
I found your review and I'm getting ready to read it now. Thank you
=D> =D> :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:19 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:44 pm

I'd like to know how it performs. A 12 gram spool is fairly heavy for a BFS reel. I'd think the reel would perform best with light shaky heads or general finesse baits, using light braid for extra capacity.
It definitely has a heavier spool than what we have grown accustomed to in recent years but after I made my heavy spool comment, I got to thinking about the original 32mm Yumeya Magnesium and Aluminum BFS spools that were made for the 09 Aldebaran platform. I'm using two of the Yumeya aluminum spools now on those reels and I've had a lot of fun with those spools over the years and they were also heavy and held considerably more line than this Abu Ultracast spool. I plan on putting about 110 feet of 7 pounds Sniper on it and i'll give my opinion after I use it for a little bit. To be totally honest, I'm excited to get it. :D

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:59 am

Here is my Ultracast BF8 with a UL Legit Design Wild Side rod that I bought for it. :big grin:
I have already bought an LTX BF8 spool that I don't think that I will need and I am going to replace the drag star, handle and knobs next.
I've been looking for an excuse for years to buy one of these rods and after getting it, I wonder why is it so hard to get a production rod in America that is this pretty and stylish and with a really nice rod bag. This 5'10" UL is not whippy at all and with 11LB Defier Armilo, it will make an excellent Baby Pop X rod. To me, it's more of a L than an UL.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:02 pm

=D> Very nice. I like my 72H+ a lot. It's like the sawed off shotgun of XH rods.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:12 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:02 pm
=D> Very nice. I like my 72H+ a lot. It's like the sawed off shotgun of XH rods.
Thank you. I'm glad I finally bought one after years of putting it off. After reading a review on their website and with my personal experience with this one, I'm thinking their rods have a little more power than they say they do.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:18 pm

John G wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:12 pm
LowRange wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:02 pm
Thank you. I'm glad I finally bought one after years of putting it off. After reading a review on their website and with my personal experience with this one, I'm thinking their rods have a little more power than they say they do.
Yeppers, my Wild Side 6'10" Med is more a M+ with a mod-fast taper so the blank loads up very thoroughly...still it is my favorite all-purpose versatile river walking rod when chasing smallies and it can literally toss and fish anything from 1/4-5/8 oz very well, with 3/4 starting to top it out.

In my hands this model Wild Side is just an excellent rod and priced very competitively, and it appears Cal thinks highly of a couple of the Stand Out models as well.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."