Older bfs reels vs modern bfs reels?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
bfsjunkie
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Older bfs reels vs modern bfs reels?

Post by bfsjunkie » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:31 pm

Stumped on what to buy how good is the SS air or the older alphas air vs the new versions. Looking for a new reel that's 3.5 and up but a classic maybe modded pixilla idk.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Older bfs reels vs modern bfs reels?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:07 pm

The SS AIR and OG Alphas AIR are nice but, the new reels are more accessible and, better casting. I do find the SS AIR and Alphas AIR to have negligible difference when casting ned rigs and such. Pitching, the newer 28mm spool reels are better.

Stream fishing, the new ones are better.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

bfsjunkie
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by bfsjunkie » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:20 am

Thank you, hopefully we see something new soon this year from either Daiwa or Shimano. New air reel? New Conquest bfs? Hopefully a teaser.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:12 am

I hope to see something new bad. I guess if before long there is no news, I will probably try an Aldebaran BFS HG. I could honestly see Shimano do a new Aldebaran (regular finesse), maybe a 2021 Conquest will get a BFS version. For Daiwa I don't see any new possibilities in casting reels, especially BFS ones. Only thing I could see them releasing would be a Tatula MQ (spinning), and maybe a new Certate.

I wonder sometimes if Daiwa will release any good old classics again, like a PIXY or Z. Not quite BFS, but I'd like to see a new SV Light, maybe on some new frame without TWS. Just would like to see their lineup shifted around.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:45 am

If current BFS reels are meant for too light fishing or if you don't like TWS, ct Alphas should be good reel for you.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:35 pm

Pixy with a rays/DIY spool is as good as any of the newer reels, and so much fun to modify and go full pixzilla. with use of alphas sv parts there is many ways to modify it.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:03 am

If you're bass fishing the older reels are great. If you are doing the stream fishing stuff with tiny UL baits then newer is going to be better. It really comes down to what baits you are going to throw.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:26 am

Yes - in a stream fishing fast retrieve makes fishing a lot easier and more enjoyable.