Favorite BFS rods and/or blanks?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Favorite BFS rods and/or blanks?

Post by Randingo » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:52 pm

2por wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:06 pm
For bass fishing, I use 2 setups because I don’t like using 1 rod for 2 different styles of fishing. I have the Dobyns sierra ultra finesse rod in 0 power for small moving baits like swim baits and cranks. For bottom/contact baits like finesse jigs/drop shot/ned/worms, I use a St. Croix Avid X in medium XF.

The ultra finesse Dobyns rod is not good for making hard hook sets. The rod itself is VERY soft (power wise), but that makes it a great rod for light moving baits, especially with trebles. It casts light lures well, and I have even used it to cast my trout minnow lures, which range from 3-4 grams, while targeting bass.

The St. Croix extra-fast model has about a foot of fairly soft tip before it goes into backbone. For me, it’s perfect for slow fishing. That small amount of soft tip it has is just enough to allow me to cast light lures without much trouble, but it still has the backbone to drive in a hook when using finesse jigs and weedless Ned rigs. Lighten the drag a bit and it works great for light drop shot hooks.

SIDE NOTE:
For bass specifically, I’d say, don’t fall into trap of thinking just because you use light lures with a BFS reel that you have to also use a “BFS” rod. The BFS system, IMO, is there to allow you to deliver a light lure. That doesn’t mean you have to use a flimsy, low-power rod to bring in a fish (even if that is more fun). This is especially true if you have to fight big fish near/in cover where a rod like a medium power (or maybe even stronger power) could help turn a fish better. A proper BFS reel, by itself, will still allow you to cast/pitch light lures on a powerhouse of a rod, even if not ideal.
Thank you for your thoughts on rods and particularly your general approach to BFS as a delivery system. I know from many years experience that, despite “the search for one,” there is no such thing as one rod that does everything well, as my overflowing tackle storage area can attest. I don't really expect to find one BFS rod that does everything either, but I am hoping to find one that’s able to cast a 1/16oz Keitech Mono Spin Jig (with a small trailer) without feeling like the rod doesn't load at all on the cast. That “package” is probably the lightest I'll throw, and even with a fairly minimal trailer, I'm sure it's at least 1/8oz. Typically, my baits will weigh more. Sorry, I seem to have gone off on a tangent. It's interesting that you mentioned the Avid X 6’8 MXF because I own that exact rod. I use primarily for topwaters and as a second option for jerkbaits, but it's a surprisingly versatile beast. In fact, I feel like it loads better than the 610MLxF I mentioned in my initial post with a Rico. I do get your point about not getting too hung up on the ultralight mentality with BFS.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:00 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:50 am
Be wary of the Dobyns soild tip BFS rods. I have heard that they take away from the hook setting power when using single hook presentations. I would get Phenix L rod if you want to stay USDM or one of many JDM rods if you don't mind not getting a warranty.
Thanks. I'm starting to see a consensus around the solid-tipped Dobyns rods. I’ll probably look more carefully at JDM rods to see what I can get my hands on. It seems that, in general, BFS rods (both USDM and JDM) are quite difficult to find and seem to be selling out quickly. I guess that bodes well for the future if not for my immediate search...

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:01 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:44 am
This one should also be worth considering, if you can find it in stock.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewlegitdesignsobfs.html
Excellent suggestion. Thank you.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:06 pm

John G wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:56 pm
To give you a suggestion on an available rod, Tackle Warehouse has a 6'7" L Legit Design Wild Side rod in stock. I recently thought about getting it but I went with a shorter Legit Design Wild Side rod. If you go to the Ultralight/BFS Section of Tackle Tour, you can see mine. I started a thread about the Abu Garcia Ultracast BF8 and I bought a Legit Design Wild Side rod for it. Mine is listed as an Ultralight but in my hands, it feels more like a L. That's not really a bad thing for me either. If you want BFS rod with a little more power, the 6'7" L Wild Side might be perfect for you. If you didn't like it, you can always send it back.

I just noticed that this post is also in the UL/BFS Section. :lol:
Thank you for your suggestion--first because from the TT review of the less expensive model it sounds like a good fit, and also because it's actually available now. 6’7 feels like a reasonable compromise for length too.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:08 pm

Randingo wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:01 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:44 am
This one should also be worth considering, if you can find it in stock.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewlegitdesignsobfs.html
Excellent suggestion. Thank you.
You are very welcome...and as noted previously, the Tiemco Fenwick BFS series is excellent. As well, there is now the Links series, and it is priced very affordably if you want to venture into the entry level JDM Fenwick BFS offerings.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Gregbassoholic
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Gregbassoholic » Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:47 am

If you can only have one you should buy poison ultima 1610L-BFS ..

John2204
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by John2204 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:33 am

I would get the Dobyns sierra, in a 1 or 0 power, they are good rods, and they are easy to replace if you break it, plus 12” pond bass are so much fun to catch on a light rod

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:35 pm

All my Majorcraft travel rods like the Go Emotion, and Volkeys are still in my rotation. I have higher end BFS rods, but the Go Emotion still gets used the most. It's traveled with me all over the country for Ned rigs, and has never let me down. I've caught more fish on it than any other baitcasting rod I own.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Sleepwokker
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Sleepwokker » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:29 am

I see you’re thinking about a Dobyns rod so here is my brief experience with a Dobyns Ultra Finesse Casting Rod 7' Light Mod 700 that i had been using since January. After catching a six pound, three pound and various smaller largemouths with it i was fishing off my dock a couple of weeks ago and caught a one pounder. I didn’t want to let the bass flop around on the wooden surface so i held the rod in one hand and reached for the bass with the other. SNAP! Rod snapped about a third of the way down from the tip. I realize about any rod can fail due to unseen imperfections, defects or rough use. I was fortunate that the vendor i bought it from is in the process of replacing it under warranty but in the meantime i am trying out a Cashion ICON BFS Casting Rod 7' Light & so far no complaints. I have other Dobyns rods and love them although they do seem more fragile than most other brands that i use but Dobyns really seems to pin the fish better than most so i deal with it. Good luck.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:49 am

I had one of the Dobyns Sierra UF rods in my TW cart for the Memorial Day sale. I backed out on it. I just get scared because I do see more than a few reviews that call them fragile. I am not particularly rough on rods, and the ones I don't care to break have still held up well, even with inadvertent bumps here and there. For a rod to break on a fish and cost me $75 would be tough to take. I have never owned a Dobyns rod, but I would still be willing to, just not sure if the BFS version is a winner yet or not.

Anyone else broken one of the Sierra UF series?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:26 pm

Have never had anything expensive. Been using the Kuying Teton since they were released, and i see no reason to ever upgrade.

Ghost
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane, Death Valley, CA 90210-->Now via Indiana

Post by Ghost » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:03 pm

Check out the new Phenix Classic BFS casting rods. I have the 6'8" length but it also comes in 7'1" and 7'4". Great rod for around $200. For roughly the same price as the Dobyns Sierra Finesse casting rod, the Phenix Classic BFS casting rod is light and just a bit more sensitive in feel. Also the trigger is on the shorter side, which feels wonderful holding with your BFS reel mounted. I have the Shimano Curado BFS and the Kastking Kestrel Elite, and both feel perfect. The 6'8" Phenix Classic BFS rod and Kestrel Elite (4.4oz), weight for the combo is around 7oz. Also the Classic BFS is lighter in weight than the Dobyns Sierra Finesse. I put both in similar length, Dobyns 6'9" and the Classic BFS 6'8" side by side and the Classic BFS is lighter.

The Phenix Classic BFS is tough. It handled fighting a 3lb rainbow trout great, with great sensitivity!

sbd3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sbd3 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:16 am

Ghost wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:03 pm
Check out the new Phenix Classic BFS casting rods. I have the 6'8" length but it also comes in 7'1" and 7'4". Great rod for around $200. For roughly the same price as the Dobyns Sierra Finesse casting rod, the Phenix Classic BFS casting rod is light and just a bit more sensitive in feel. Also the trigger is on the shorter side, which feels wonderful holding with your BFS reel mounted. I have the Shimano Curado BFS and the Kastking Kestrel Elite, and both feel perfect. The 6'8" Phenix Classic BFS rod and Kestrel Elite (4.4oz), weight for the combo is around 7oz. Also the Classic BFS is lighter in weight than the Dobyns Sierra Finesse. I put both in similar length, Dobyns 6'9" and the Classic BFS 6'8" side by side and the Classic BFS is lighter.

The Phenix Classic BFS is tough. It handled fighting a 3lb rainbow trout great, with great sensitivity!
The 6'8" phenix classic bfs is on my short list for what will be my 2nd bfs rod, any issues with using braid to leader with the micro guides?

Ghost
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane, Death Valley, CA 90210-->Now via Indiana

Post by Ghost » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:31 pm

Using braid, no issue. I use 15 lb, 4lb diameter Power Pro in yellow. I did have issue with braid to leader, getting caught on the guides. Guides are micro guides.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:39 am

Ghost wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:31 pm
Using braid, no issue. I use 15 lb, 4lb diameter Power Pro in yellow. I did have issue with braid to leader, getting caught on the guides. Guides are micro guides.
That's my experience, too.