Honest opinions...is BFS really worth trying?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Honest opinions...is BFS really worth trying?

Post by ss30378 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:00 pm

Both my 721 and 662 edge bfs rods are full grip and I love it that way. If I we’re going for 1/8-1/4 I’d go ML all the way.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:04 pm

John G wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:10 pm
John2204 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:44 am
Well I’m not a fan of split grips or 2 piece rods so I will pass on most jdm rods, but each to his own I guess….
I should apologize for my post because I'm sure it came off as being a little bit of a smart ass. :mrgreen:
I'm going to take back what I said about buying only a JDM BFS rod because I just remembered the rod that got me started in BFS. My first BFS combo was a Shimano Scorpion XT1000 with a 32mm Yumeya Mg spool and the rod was a G-Loomis CR-721. That is a 6' L power rod with a full cork handle. I still remember the first time that I took it fishing and that unweighted worm just effortlessly casted out. I have been hooked ever since. :D
My first BFS worthy bass tech type rod, was the OG Falcon Expert 6'9"L, it was essentially a Shikari SHX blank with Fuji SIC guides. What a fun and great combo with my first JDM reel, a circa ~ 1999 Shimano 🦂 1000 that I purchased from Jun at Japan Tackle.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:06 pm

2por wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:33 am
Even though most of my current BFS equipment is for stream fishing, the reason why I got my first BFS reel was to retire my spinning setups for bass fishing. Personally, I just can’t stand using spinning reels. Dealing with the bail on casts and line twist on non-braided line is an annoyance. There is also other things to consider like the slower retrieve of spinning vs baitcaster and the efficiency of making back to back casts. Also, I just never could get the accuracy with spinning setups as I could with baitcasters. So for me, being able to use all the same lures that I normally use on spinning but on baitcaster instead is a pleasure.

The main problem with BFS vs spinning in my books is that spinning reels will always have a smoother drag than baitcasters by virtue of their design.

If you have qualms with spinning setups and prefer baitcasters, then the switch is probably worth it. If you just want to ride the hype, probably not. However, there is joy in messing with new things, so maybe it would open some doors for you. IMHO, worth giving it a shot if you have money to spare.
FWIW, most threadlines with like gear ratios versus a BC counterpart, produces higher IPTs due to typically larger diameter spools.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:19 am

What are you all using for line? I've heard braid does pretty well.... And can someone explain to a moron what PE braid is and how it differs? I see it on some brands but then don't on others. Thanks

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:37 am

I think all current superlines are made from PE fibers. From Spectra or Dyneema.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-hig ... lyethylene
Superlines can be braided or Fusioned.

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:47 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:37 am
I think all current superlines are made from PE fibers. From Spectra or Dyneema.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-hig ... lyethylene
Superlines can be braided or Fusioned.
Thanks. What are you using? What's advantages of using superline vs basic 8 strand braid?

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:57 am

All braided and fusion lines are called as 'Superlines'.

But I'm using for example Morethan 12, and Spiderwire stealth smooth 8 and Varivas Bait Finesse x4.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:06 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:57 am
All braided and fusion lines are called as 'Superlines'.

But I'm using for example Morethan 12, and Spiderwire stealth smooth 8 and Varivas Bait Finesse x4.
I'm going to order some of the 10LB Varivas Bait Finesse braid today.

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:01 pm

So had a little change up...my tw order got canceled somehow...so instead of putting it back thru...I took it as a sign and picked up another rod. I know this isn't a legit bfs rod...but I saw it in a local store and it's crazy light and pretty whippy. I figured maybe I would meet in the middle between a feather light bfs and an nrx 842c mbr that I mentioned earlier. So this rod is rated at 1/16-3/8 so excited to see what it can do. It's the steez finesse game special 6'8" light. I am pairing it with the daiwa gekkabijin. I think I'm going to use this mainly for ultra light topwater (eg sb 77, rapala ul popper) but will probably also through ul crankbaits and ultra light shad. Any advice on line? And you gotta love the color coordination of the rod/reel setup.
B1A18B01-6ED9-419F-908F-A3A4EF2D90A5_1_105_c.jpeg
B1A18B01-6ED9-419F-908F-A3A4EF2D90A5_1_105_c.jpeg (79.84 KiB) Viewed 4629 times

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:18 pm

clemsondds wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:01 pm
So had a little change up...my tw order got canceled somehow...so instead of putting it back thru...I took it as a sign and picked up another rod. I know this isn't a legit bfs rod...but I saw it in a local store and it's crazy light and pretty whippy. I figured maybe I would meet in the middle between a feather light bfs and an nrx 842c mbr that I mentioned earlier. So this rod is rated at 1/16-3/8 so excited to see what it can do. It's the steez finesse game special 6'8" light. I am pairing it with the daiwa gekkabijin. I think I'm going to use this mainly for ultra light topwater (eg sb 77, rapala ul popper) but will probably also through ul crankbaits and ultra light shad. Any advice on line? And you gotta love the color coordination of the rod/reel setup.
Wow, that's straight up sexy! I would personally go 8-10 braid of your preference + 6-8 fluoro leader.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:31 am

When using BFS bass rods, Im a big fan of 7LB Sunline Sniper FC for anything that goes underwater. That's not to say that I would not go heavier or lighter, but I like 7LB Sniper.

BTW, that's a beautiful combo. =D>

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:57 am

clemsondds wrote:
It's the steez finesse game special 6'8" light. I am pairing it with the daiwa gekkabijin. I think I'm going to use this mainly for ultra light topwater (eg sb 77, rapala ul popper) but will probably also through ul crankbaits and ultra light shad. Any advice on line? And you gotta love the color coordination of the rod/reel setup.
Looks amazing! Maybe adding dark red SLP Works skeleton knobs and SLP works dragstar, similar than Hobie did? I have been planning to order those, but not yet ordered because it's basically only improvement for appearance. Skeleton knobs might add some sensitivity too.

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:06 am

Thank you all! I had ordered some other line options but couldn’t resist and out 10lb blue j braid 8 grand on and put an 1/8 Ned on. Took it to my back yard and launched it about 100ft! I probably could have done that with spinning maybe but I do feel I’m more accurate and faster. Looking forward to having some fun with this! Thank you all for the advice! Didn’t mean to jump in with this expensive of a setup but figured why not lol

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:09 am

clemsondds wrote:
Nice rig. I like that rod and reel paring. I can never type that reels name. It's the same sound I make when I hold in a sneeze. If you want a deeper spool Ray's Studio makes one that is like an SV spool that will hold way more line but still be a finesse spool.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m02UpC2

Also a 6'8" L is a favorite BFS rod length and power of mine. I like them from anything like ned rigs to light cranks. I usually move to a ML for small jigs, small flick shakes, small neko and weightless 4" plastics. That rod with a 3/8 upper limit might be a bit more powerful than your average L BFS rod which seems ideal for your use. If you get the deeper SV spool it woukd open up options for 7# to 10# flouro and plastics. A line that doesn't play well with spinning reels.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:37 pm

[/quote]

Nice rig. I like that rod and reel paring. I can never type that reels name. It's the same sound I make when I hold in a sneeze. If you want a deeper spool Ray's Studio makes one that is like an SV spool that will hold way more line but still be a finesse spool.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m02UpC2

Also a 6'8" L is a favorite BFS rod length and power of mine. I like them from anything like ned rigs to light cranks. I usually move to a ML for small jigs, small flick shakes, small neko and weightless 4" plastics. That rod with a 3/8 upper limit might be a bit more powerful than your average L BFS rod which seems ideal for your use. If you get the deeper SV spool it woukd open up options for 7# to 10# flouro and plastics. A line that doesn't play well with spinning reels.
[/quote]

For sure man...the first time I tried 8lb Sunline fluoro on my Daiwa Tournament Z-C 1500 in the early 2000s, it was a total disaster.