Honest opinions...is BFS really worth trying?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Honest opinions...is BFS really worth trying?

Post by clemsondds » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:17 am

Ok...need your guys thoughts and advice. Seems like lots of people have been talking over the last few years about how great BFS is and how they replaced most if not all of their spinning tackle with it. But then in various forums, I see that most are still referring to spinning gear as what they use for most finesse techniques. So before I go out and buy all the bfs gear...I thought I would just get your thoughts. Can anyone who has switched to (or has switched back from) BFS, share how they feel about it? Is it worth buying the equipment and trying it out? Obviously, I'm not looking for anyone to make up my mind for me...just looking for honest experience and advice. Thanks

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Honest opinions...is BFS really worth trying?

Post by bronzefly » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:31 am

It is a blast as far as I'm concerned. I think of it like tossing big swim baits, it's an addition within an addiction. Some guys never get bitten by the big bait bug, some guys never get bitten by the BFS bug. I unfortunately am eaten up with both :lol: I just picked up a Silver Creek to put on my Triza Aello for some more BFS fun.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:34 am

i planned on getting more into bfs and purchased a few things, but i've ended up not using it as much as i thought i would. i'm also not using spinning gear as much as i used to.

i've went to more of a bubba bfs set up. i'm using the mmh tatula elite rod, steez ct reel with 10# fc. i throw 3/16oz jig heads with finesse worms where i used to use mostly 1/8oz. i don't fish a ned rig that much so i haven't really worried to much about what weight to use on that. i would probably use 3/16oz there also.

i also use this set up for fishing lighter weight texas rigs, and jigs like the jewel pee wee football.

the bfs stuff i have (daiwa blazon 6'4 l bfs rod, tatula sv shallow spool), i have used some, but more with 1/8oz heads crappie fishing. it is a whole lot of fun, but i just prefer the other set up.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:15 am

clemsondds wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:17 am
Can anyone who has switched to (or has switched back from) BFS, share how they feel about it? Is it worth buying the equipment and trying it out? Obviously, I'm not looking for anyone to make up my mind for me...just looking for honest experience and advice. Thanks
Of course, it's worth trying out, because it is fishing related and fishing is supposed to be fun and enjoyable, right?

I think that @bronzefly said it best, it is an addiction within the addiction of fishing.

Catching a fish on light line and a light lure is fun, just like catching a fish on a big topwater.

Do you enjoy using finesse techniques? If so, then you will likely enjoy a BFS setup. Of course, with the classifieds, if you try it out and do not like it, you can always sell the equipment.

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:47 am

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:31 am
It is a blast as far as I'm concerned. I think of it like tossing big swim baits, it's an addition within an addiction. Some guys never get bitten by the big bait bug, some guys never get bitten by the BFS bug. I unfortunately am eaten up with both :lol: I just picked up a Silver Creek to put on my Triza Aello for some more BFS fun.
jmb27 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:15 am
clemsondds wrote:
Can anyone who has switched to (or has switched back from) BFS, share how they feel about it? Is it worth buying the equipment and trying it out? Obviously, I'm not looking for anyone to make up my mind for me...just looking for honest experience and advice. Thanks
Of course, it's worth trying out, because it is fishing related and fishing is supposed to be fun and enjoyable, right?

I think that @bronzefly said it best, it is an addiction within the addiction of fishing.

Catching a fish on light line and a light lure is fun, just like catching a fish on a big topwater.

Do you enjoy using finesse techniques? If so, then you will likely enjoy a BFS setup. Of course, with the classifieds, if you try it out and do not like it, you can always sell the equipment.
Ok tell me what yall think of this idea. I was planning to get an NRX 842c anyway for smaller swimbaits and various techniques. If I get a bfs reel (eg daiwa gekkabijin, bfs curado...)...I know it won't be as good as a pure bfs rod...but would it basically work just to give me an idea?

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:10 am

clemsondds wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:47 am

I was planning to get an NRX 842c anyway for smaller swimbaits and various techniques. If I get a bfs reel (eg daiwa gekkabijin, bfs curado...)...I know it won't be as good as a pure bfs rod...but would it basically work just to give me an idea?
I haven't fished the NRX842c. Based upon the specs, you may have trouble going below 1/8 oz. and getting any appreciable casting distance. You can still cast a jig that weighs 3 grams, but maybe not very far.

Perhaps, what that rod would help you determine is whether or not you like to fish lures that are 1/8 oz. If so, the rod might be a gateway into other bfs sticks that can allow you to cast a 1/16 oz. or lighter lure. If not, you still have a nice rod for "traditional" finesse techniques.

I have now gone down the rabbit hole for a(n) (expensive) BFS rod. Prior to that, I did think for the $, that the Majorcraft line was a good value.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:39 am

clemsondds wrote:
Ok tell me what yall think of this idea. I was planning to get an NRX 842c anyway for smaller swimbaits and various techniques. If I get a bfs reel (eg daiwa gekkabijin, bfs curado...)...I know it won't be as good as a pure bfs rod...but would it basically work just to give me an idea?
No it won't. That is not a good pairing at all in my opinion. The NRX 842 is a great rod, but it's nowhere near a rod that will give you any idea about BFS even paired with a BFS reel. I guess part of the equation is determining what "BFS" means to people with regard to total weight. I think of it anything 1/8 oz and under on casting gear as a reference point. If you're going to get the Gekka, you might as well find a nice BFS rod to go with it. As @jmb27 wrote, you can always sell it if you don't enjoy it.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:54 am

clemsondds:

Rod must bend with ease with lure weight usually used and not to overload too easy with maximum lure weight. This is one of key features with any rod, but especially with BFS rod. Light lures are just awful to cast especially with baitcaster if rod doesn't load at all.

I really suggest you to buy for a try a $50 - $100 rod from Aliexpress. Those are good at that price. And there are many of those. Backbone fast action, Longer Ajing Rod's (which tends to be long casting) and short soft parabolic stream fishing rods.

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:22 am

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:39 am
clemsondds wrote:
No it won't. That is not a good pairing at all in my opinion. The NRX 842 is a great rod, but it's nowhere near a rod that will give you any idea about BFS even paired with a BFS reel. I guess part of the equation is determining what "BFS" means to people with regard to total weight. I think of it anything 1/8 oz and under on casting gear as a reference point. If you're going to get the Gekka, you might as well find a nice BFS rod to go with it. As @jmb27 wrote, you can always sell it if you don't enjoy it.
Gary...You are not helping my excuses in my head for getting the 842c lol. You are right though. Have you had a chance to try the steez 6'8 Light Finesse? Would that work or is that still not enough bfs?

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:29 am

I will agree wholeheartedly that bfs is an addiction within an addiction and to get a taste of it you need to do it correctly. The rod is just as important as the reel with bfs. A true bfs reel with a rod that can't load with the light lures will just end up with you in frustration and saying "I don't see the point in this". This is a common occurrence with anglers who get a medium powered (2 power loomis or equivalent) rod and then proceed to try to toss 1/8oz and under lures. Some 2 powers are rated down to 1/8oz but in my experience it's rare for a usdm medium power rod to actually do well with a true 1/8oz. The best I've seen was the original solid tip tatula rod (6101mxb) but even that rod can't really compare to a true bfs specific rod.

Get you a true light power bfs rod with a true bfs reel like you were planning and go have fun. Enjoy that addiction within the addiction. I still use all my other non bfs rods and reels at times but bfs is the most fun.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:33 am

I think it is worth a shot. The rods for the most part can be had cheap. I bought a Proflex 2 6'3"UL back when they were like $65 total/shipped. It was a bit light for me, I rarely go to 1/16 or less. I still use it, but would prefer a Light powered rod.

Just depends on what you like, I enjoy spinning reels and baitcasting reels, so I can have a mix of BFS setups and UL/L spinning setups.

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:40 am

It's basically all I've fished with for practically 19 years. No spinning reels for me, except for my wife and kids. It's fun, addictive, and will always put a smile on your face. A light weight BFS rod and reel just feels stupid light in the hand.

My buddy just broke down, and purchased an Alphas Air and Dobyns BFS rod. He loves his spinning reels, but has seen the benefits of using BFS.

Yes, you will benefit in casting distance on light lures with the NRX 842C, but it won't be ideal. A light or ML rod would be a better choice. There are a ton of BFS casting rod options. I would recommend getting the correct tools for the job. Skip the Curado BFS, and get either the Aldebaran BFS/Gekkabijin/Alphas Air. The Aldebaran BFS is easy to fish with. I've owned every iteration of the Aldebaran BFS.

Typically, I use 10 - 15 lb braid on my BFS reels with an 8 - 10 lb fluoro leader.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:54 am

clemsondds wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:22 am
Gary...You are not helping my excuses in my head for getting the 842c lol. You are right though. Have you had a chance to try the steez 6'8 Light Finesse? Would that work or is that still not enough bfs?
Oh by all means, get yourself the 842, it's a great rod, just not a BFS rod!

Yes, I have the new Steez AGS 6'8" Light "Finesse Game Special" casting edition. It has the "megatop" solid carbon tip and an extra fast action. I really love it with finesse oriented single hook baits like ned rigs, 1/8 oz hair jigs, and it does a really nice job with drop shots. It doesn't have my favorite action for small treble hook baits, but easily handles baits in the 1/4 oz range. It's closer to a BFS rod than the NRX 842c for sure!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:34 pm

clemsondds wrote:
Ok...need your guys thoughts and advice. Seems like lots of people have been talking over the last few years about how great BFS is and how they replaced most if not all of their spinning tackle with it. But then in various forums, I see that most are still referring to spinning gear as what they use for most finesse techniques. So before I go out and buy all the bfs gear...I thought I would just get your thoughts. Can anyone who has switched to (or has switched back from) BFS, share how they feel about it? Is it worth buying the equipment and trying it out? Obviously, I'm not looking for anyone to make up my mind for me...just looking for honest experience and advice. Thanks
Only if you like the lighter weight of a casting reel over a spinning reel, plan to use flourocarbon lines that misbehave on spinning tackle and want to make really accurate quick fire casts without dealing with a clunky spinning reel and bail operation. Some of the BFS rod tapers are pretty unique too and can be really powerful for their ability to cast a light weight bait. For me I like ML and L BFS rods with 7-10# flouro firing off casts and skips to cover. I'll use light casting gear to fish small moving baits because I don't like cranking with a spinning reel.

There is also the whole stream side of things with short little UL noodle rods where the light thumb pressure on a BC reel can feather a trout magnet with pinpoint accuracy in ways just jamming some fingers in front of an open bail on a spinning reel can't.

If none of this holds any appeal then BFS probably isn't for you. If any of what you see in these videos looks like fun then it may be for you

https://youtu.be/xs6OzdTZOxo

https://youtu.be/WplRXwskwpU

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:52 pm

I'm thinking that Gary typed "addition" within the "addiction"...but hey, I could be reading it in Spanglish?!?

BFS might be worth it if you are already trying to toss lighter offerings on the lower end of your BC gear spectrum and find yourself wishing for more. I technically only have one "BFS" reel and one JDM BFS rod, but I have several that crossover to mag-finesse extremely well and back again to the normal fishing world.

I also love spinning for some of the lower end weights, especially when the lure I'm casting is not compact and aerodynamic.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."