Premium Mountain Stream Rods-The Hunt

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Premium Mountain Stream Rods-The Hunt

Post by ras » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:53 am

I have several M-Aire rods from different series. I find the most value (if that can be said about rods in that price range) in their UD glass rods. I'm also very impressed with their multi-piece boron composite rods – excellent for expeditions to salmon rivers.
I'm a big fan of Shimano's Cardiff Limited series, both in area trout and stream models. Exceptional quality, tapers and actions that I can't seem to find elsewhere, top-notch materials (M40X in all of my models).
For the most delicate stream rods on graphite blanks, I'd turn to Souls. Their UL rated models on 60t-based composite blanks are crisp and pleasantly "bendy"; work great with the lightest of plugs and exceptional with stream spoons.
I like Tenryu rods, I think they are great value for money. I prefer the above-mentioned alternatives, but they are also more expensive. I only kept the Bogasawa model from the old Rayz: I do enjoy that shorty in the most rod-unfriendly environments. I just received the new Integral in 48 UL spinning for travels, and found myself a bit underwhelmed by the initial impressions, but it is possible that my expectations were also a bit too high to begin with. I will say that the guides seem quite small and their line rating a bit too generous. I'd stick with 3 lb nylon (JDM rating).

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:06 pm

ras wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:53 am
I have several M-Aire rods from different series. I find the most value (if that can be said about rods in that price range) in their UD glass rods. I'm also very impressed with their multi-piece boron composite rods – excellent for expeditions to salmon rivers.
I'm a big fan of Shimano's Cardiff Limited series, both in area trout and stream models. Exceptional quality, tapers and actions that I can't seem to find elsewhere, top-notch materials (M40X in all of my models).
For the most delicate stream rods on graphite blanks, I'd turn to Souls. Their UL rated models on 60t-based composite blanks are crisp and pleasantly "bendy"; work great with the lightest of plugs and exceptional with stream spoons.
I like Tenryu rods, I think they are great value for money. I prefer the above-mentioned alternatives, but they are also more expensive. I only kept the Bogasawa model from the old Rayz: I do enjoy that shorty in the most rod-unfriendly environments. I just received the new Integral in 48 UL spinning for travels, and found myself a bit underwhelmed by the initial impressions, but it is possible that my expectations were also a bit too high to begin with. I will say that the guides seem quite small and their line rating a bit too generous. I'd stick with 3 lb nylon (JDM rating).
It's great to hear from someone with first hand experience with some of these rods. I think other than the difficulty to obtain and price point, the fact that there is very little information or feedback on some of these rods keeps some from making the leap. I guess I overlooked the obvious when I left the Shimano Cardiff Limited off of my roundup. Certainly a premium rod and I am very surpised to hear that is has MX40. I'm digging that rainbow titanium coating, makes it match just about any reel. I'm really interested to hear any more insight that you have on the Souls or the M-Aire's. If anyone wants to educate on the use or Boron and the qualities it brings to a rod that would be helpful too.

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:22 pm

You're correct, not a lot of information out there; it was mostly trial and error in my case (thankfully, little error). The latest (2022) Souls Explorer and the older Souls Avantgarde (these are higher end models, more expensive) in UL rating are some of the most delicate stream rods I've used and they do an excellent job with light lures. Don't get me wrong, they can handle bigger fish, but they seems to be most suited for small resident trout. Their tapers also work really well with spoons and other hard baits that don't require aggressive presentations. Aesthetically, they are appointed in a somewhat reserved manner, and I do like that. Great blanks. I haven't tried Souls in heavier lure tests.
M-Aire's Masakage Boron series are based on carbon composite blanks reinforced with boron fibers. Very tenacious rods, Masakage made several multi-piece heavy test options in the last couple of years; excellent choice when you need to travel to salmon rivers. They'll handle king salmon without a problem. Strong rods with pleasant, moderate actions that don't really make you feel like you're using a multi-piece rod. Masakage Glass models made from UD glass are crisp and exceptional casters. Just great for tossing and twitching 4-5 g sinking minnows. Some of my favorite rods.
Shimano Cardiff Limited models are in a class of their own. You're right about that rainbow titanium ceramic coating, it is simply stunning. In my experience, Shimano spares nothing in their Limited model series. I think UL rated Stream Limited models are built specifically for 4-5 g sinking minnows. They don't work as well with lighter lures despite the posted lure test.
I hope that begins answering some questions. Happy to keep the conversation going. I find fishing for salmonoids in moving waters to be one the most exciting forms of my favorite hobby.

slimjim1135
Angler
Angler

Post by slimjim1135 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:34 am

What’s the action of boron rods closest to in ultra light? Is it more like carbon fiber, if that’s what it’s mixed with? I see Anglo and M aire both have boron rods, but m Aire boron models look like they’re mostly for bigger fish.

The only experience I have with boron was a Winston Boron fly rod one of my friends had. I cast it and it was nice and soft. My friend broke his fighting a fish in the middle of the blank a short while later. I’ve been a little hesitant to try anything in that material since.

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:23 pm

In my experience, blanks containing boron fibers (with carbon fiber as the main material) are more moderate in action and less sensitive than the blanks without boron fibers added. The latter point isn't particularly important for stream trout rods, in my opinion. According to manufacturers, addition of boron fibers also results in more robust blanks. You're correct about M-Aire Masakage Boron series – even L rated rods, of which there aren't many, can handle a sizable fish and may feel overpowered for delicate fishing. Masakage changes the line-up every year – selects the kinds of models he will produce for the upcoming season – so it is possible that something light and delicate might show up in the future.