Ultralight minnow baits

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Ultralight minnow baits

Post by Smalleyez » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:19 am

I’ve converted almost all of my ultralight minnow baits to single barbless hooks for catch and release trout fishing. Now I’m wondering if they will struggle when using them for crappies. Thoughts? I suppose I could go back to treble hooks on a few of them.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Ultralight minnow baits

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:59 pm

I can't speak from experience as to the ability of barbless hooks to hold crappies, but will suggest that you use straight fluorocarbon or nylon mono when trying this rather than braid with a leader, as superlines pose a greater risk of tearing holes in those paper mouths.

I hope that we'll hear from those who have fished barbless for crappies and that you'll report back on your own experience.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:25 pm

Yes straight fluorocarbon. I have 4# Tatsu on the setup.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:16 am

The tiny hoos actually grab crappie surprisingly well. It somehow more often than not hooks right by "the lip" of the fish instead of the paper part.

The setup will need cushion of sorts. Braided line will be difficult unless you have a very soft rod.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:47 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:16 am
The tiny hoos actually grab crappie surprisingly well. It somehow more often than not hooks right by "the lip" of the fish instead of the paper part.

The setup will need cushion of sorts. Braided line will be difficult unless you have a very soft rod.
Thanks, HWK.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)