Crisp UL trout spinning rod recommendations

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
bl8ant
Angler
Angler

Crisp UL trout spinning rod recommendations

Post by bl8ant » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:40 pm

Anyone have a recommendation for a spinning rod (JDM or USDM) for throwing 1/16 to 1/10 baits in open water for trout averaging 1 pound? I'm looking for a sensitive blank with faster recovery than my wobbly as hell St. Croix panfish series rod. I'll be primarily fishing ultralight hair jigs, trout magnet type baits and occasionally 1/10 oz EGB spoons. Not usually trebble hooked baits.

I'd like to be in the 6'-6'10 zone with a budget of 300 USD.

Been looking in to Major Craft Finetail rods but am concerned the UL models might be too soft for my needs.
Any help would be appreciated!

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Crisp UL trout spinning rod recommendations

Post by ss30378 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:21 pm

I owned the MC days sfs 6'3" UL spinning rod with the solid tip and even though it was rated as a bass rod it did very well with trout in the 1-3lb range. I've had a few St. Croix UL rods and the MC was a much more responsive blank. The new days 360 is coming out and the t1100g blank will make for a very crisp stick. The 6'6" UL would be a great option in that line as well.

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:15 pm

bl8ant wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:40 pm
Anyone have a recommendation for a spinning rod (JDM or USDM) for throwing 1/16 to 1/10 baits in open water for trout averaging 1 pound? I'm looking for a sensitive blank with faster recovery than my wobbly as hell St. Croix panfish series rod. I'll be primarily fishing ultralight hair jigs, trout magnet type baits and occasionally 1/10 oz EGB spoons. Not usually trebble hooked baits.

I'd like to be in the 6'-6'10 zone with a budget of 300 USD.

Been looking in to Major Craft Finetail rods but am concerned the UL models might be too soft for my needs.
Any help would be appreciated!
Sounds like you might need an ajing rod. Generally, the lighter and lower lure test ajing rods will give you all the lure control and fun with the fish on that you need. Selection in your budget is quite extensive: Shimano, Daiwa, Abu, Gamakatsu, Tict, Xesta, Tenryu, MajorCraft and many more. Pair it up with a 1000 size reel with a shallow spool outfitted with an ultra-thin ester line (line number 0.3 or 0.4) or an ultra-thin, high-quality PE line (0.2 Gou or thinner). Add a 2-3 lbs fluorocarbon leader. JDM options will be your best bet in this context.

bl8ant
Angler
Angler

Post by bl8ant » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:53 pm

Thanks for the responses, I ended up ordering a Daiwa Presso Air AGS 61L and Presso LT1000S-P reel.
Hope I don't regret going with the light instead of ultralight but some of the brook trout I catch are over 4 lbs and I could also use this setup for rainbows that occasionally top 5lbs.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:01 pm

bl8ant wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:53 pm
Thanks for the responses, I ended up ordering a Daiwa Presso Air AGS 61L and Presso LT1000S-P reel.
Hope I don't regret going with the light instead of ultralight but some of the brook trout I catch are over 4 lbs and I could also use this setup for rainbows that occasionally top 5lbs.
That rod looks on the light side of light. It's an area trout rod so, it will naturally feel lighter in power. I have the BFS version of that same rod currently in transport. I am hoping it has a little more backbone than my XUL Gekkabijin AIR AGS. Hard to tell on paper because the Gekkabijin AIR AGS has slightly higher line/lure specs, although it's an XUL regular taper rod. I will find out in a couple days I guess :lol:
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

bl8ant
Angler
Angler

Post by bl8ant » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:53 pm

Light side of light is precisely what I'm hoping for but I'm new to JDM trout gear so hoping for the best. That XUL Gekkabijin AIR AGS must be a blast to play a fish on, what species do you target with that rod?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:56 am

The Gekkabijin AIR AGS I got for panfish. Trout too but bluegill was my focus for the rod. It does well. I would just like slightly more power or, even slightly faster action. A 10" gill puts a mean bend to the rod.

My Presso AGS is out for delivery so...I will know today how they stack.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:42 am

In short, the two rods are very close in power and taper. Balance without a reel goes to the Gekkabijin. This is because the butt section is longer and, actually has a butt.

I will be posting some more in depth info about the Presso rod. I took it out for some test casting and all is well.