Lew's Custom Lite SS, BFS reel with centrifugal brake

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Lew's Custom Lite SS, BFS reel with centrifugal brake

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:42 pm

What do you think, is this Lew's Custom Lite SS worth of $299 @TackleWarehouse? I don't know practically anything of quality of Lew's reels. Probably I'm not buying this because I'm more interested in buying Daiwa SS Air Tw. But if Lew's appears very good, then it's different case. Anyway centrifugal brake is interesting feature in BFS reel. So in my opinion this Custom Lite SS is a good idea, but I don't know might it be worth for money.
(Removed direct link to reel, please click TackleWarehouse banner...)

Video of this reel:

Looking good! But still bottom line...Is it worth of $299?
Last edited by jvelth74 on Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

d510addict
Angler
Angler

Re: Lew's Custom Lite SS, BFS reel with centrifugal brake

Post by d510addict » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:33 pm

Some people love Lews over Shimano/Daiwa. The only one I have is a Speed Spool LFS from like 8 years ago. Linear mag brakes.....very wild reel. But for the price, not bad. 300 though.....

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Lew's Custom Lite SS, BFS reel with centrifugal brake

Post by dragon1 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:40 am

I just took apart one of my buddy's Lew's LITE Speed Spool LFS as it's been flawed on retrieve since it came out of the box new, from eBay.

I can't see any flaws in the pinion or main gear teeth, but it has a spot during rotation where the mesh has a hiccup/binding feel that is the same as when the handle is rotated...it occurs 7-times per handle rotation. FWIW, these Lew's are no where near the quality inside versus a Daiwa or Shimano and is essentially the same internally as an Abu Revo SX that I cleaned for a young man I also fish with here locally.

Well it is smoother now and properly greased and lubed, those gears were pretty dry inside, however the clicking is still occurring during rotation, although the gear mesh feels very smooth. Also, the spool does not rotate clean and smoothly when the thumb bar is depressed, it exhibits the same clicking during rotation, so I suspect a bad bearing or bad clearance of the pinion gear slots and spool pin? Not exactly sure but it doesn't feel like it's just the gears.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."