1st BFS reel-Aldebaran BFS

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 1st BFS reel-Aldebaran BFS

Post by Mike son » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:02 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:06 am
I am still confused over the Aldebaran's feel. It is by no means grindy or bad, but directly compared to the Zillion SVTW (old 1016 one), the Aldebaran does not have that floaty, air feeling. It has more of a connected gear feel. Not sure this is a bad thing, I have just always had Daiwa reels I guess and gotten used to them. The only other Shimano casting reel I have is a Conquest, so that sets a pretty high bar for the Aldebaran to match.

I am just looking for more feedback from others to make sure I am not crazy. I still need another reel for a chatterbait rod, would like another mid tier Shimano to see if they all feel this way or my Aldebaran is actually a bit off. I have fresh 7lb Sunline on there now, and hopefully after a few trips it will break in and smooth out.
That's just how the Shimano, non-round reels, feel imo. Daiwa has them beat with that "floaty, air feeling" as you put it, this is coming from a "Shimano fanboy" with a few high end Daiwas. I just prefer the way the Shimanos cast vs Daiwa which is why I have mostly Shimano.

I'll say the Ald BFS is quieter than the Ald MGL's. I received a new Ald MGL today and they all have that hollow sound and are audible when turning the handle. I'd assume it's just the nature of the construction of the reel. I somehow look past that as I like the way the MGL's palm and cast. I run them on ML and M power rods.

You'll really like the Ald BFS I'd think if you can get past the way it feels on the retrieve. I've beat on one of mine for a while and it's still smooth as butter, quiet too.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:19 am

Mike son wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:02 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:06 am
I am still confused over the Aldebaran's feel. It is by no means grindy or bad, but directly compared to the Zillion SVTW (old 1016 one), the Aldebaran does not have that floaty, air feeling. It has more of a connected gear feel. Not sure this is a bad thing, I have just always had Daiwa reels I guess and gotten used to them. The only other Shimano casting reel I have is a Conquest, so that sets a pretty high bar for the Aldebaran to match.

I am just looking for more feedback from others to make sure I am not crazy. I still need another reel for a chatterbait rod, would like another mid tier Shimano to see if they all feel this way or my Aldebaran is actually a bit off. I have fresh 7lb Sunline on there now, and hopefully after a few trips it will break in and smooth out.
That's just how the Shimano, non-round reels, feel imo. Daiwa has them beat with that "floaty, air feeling" as you put it, this is coming from a "Shimano fanboy" with a few high end Daiwas. I just prefer the way the Shimanos cast vs Daiwa which is why I have mostly Shimano.

I'll say the Ald BFS is quieter than the Ald MGL's. I received a new Ald MGL today and they all have that hollow sound and are audible when turning the handle. I'd assume it's just the nature of the construction of the reel. I somehow look past that as I like the way the MGL's palm and cast. I run them on ML and M power rods.

You'll really like the Ald BFS I'd think if you can get past the way it feels on the retrieve. I've beat on one of mine for a while and it's still smooth as butter, quiet too.
That is more of what I think and hope. I have said it a few times, but it feels like my Chronarch MGL did. Not really a buzz, but a "rrrmmm rrrmmm rrrmmm rrrmmm" when you turn the handle of the Aldebaran. It is a very fluid "rrrmmm rrrmmm" though and feels very precision. It even seems to maybe help sensitivity or be due to sensitivity of the frame and the reel being so light. I compare it to the Chronarch MGL because that is exactly how mine felt. I should get a lot of use out of the Aldebaran BFS, going to split finesse duty with my Millionaire CTSV. Now I just have to decide which ML or L rod, though the Aldebaran CAN do it, I still like doing 1/16 or under on a UL/Light spinning rod.

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:04 pm

I figured I'd ask here:

Is it normal for 22 Aldebaran BFS XG to have some rotational play in the spool. The spool in my new reel can be rocked a little bit forward and backward with a finger, without handle movement, which makes for a bit of rattling during the retrieve. This happens without line, I suspect it could go away with the line on the reel.

I'd appreciate any input. I find the reel to have a very light rotation, which probably contributes to my issue.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:48 pm

ras wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:04 pm
I figured I'd ask here:

Is it normal for 22 Aldebaran BFS XG to have some rotational play in the spool. The spool in my new reel can be rocked a little bit forward and backward with a finger, without handle movement, which makes for a bit of rattling during the retrieve. This happens without line, I suspect it could go away with the line on the reel.

I'd appreciate any input. I find the reel to have a very light rotation, which probably contributes to my issue.
I am not sure about this issue. I did notice that the Silent Tune keeps the spool tension tight for me. It is harder to set the tension knob because the o-rings leave some tension on the spool. A spool shouldn't rock back and forth from levelwind to thumb bar, only from sideplate to sideplate if the tension is loose. I would try spooling up and really consider sending the reel back or checking the issue deeper if it doesn't solve. I fussed about my Aldebaran feeling tense, but I was close to splitting hairs and the reel overall is fine. If you have rattling and the movement described, you might have an issue.

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:20 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:48 pm
ras wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:04 pm
I figured I'd ask here:

I am not sure about this issue. I did notice that the Silent Tune keeps the spool tension tight for me. It is harder to set the tension knob because the o-rings leave some tension on the spool. A spool shouldn't rock back and forth from levelwind to thumb bar, only from sideplate to sideplate if the tension is loose. I would try spooling up and really consider sending the reel back or checking the issue deeper if it doesn't solve. I fussed about my Aldebaran feeling tense, but I was close to splitting hairs and the reel overall is fine. If you have rattling and the movement described, you might have an issue.
Thanks for the comments.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:36 pm

The pendulum swings both ways...

In the 90s-2000s...Daiwa was known for tight precision-smooth connected gear feel and Shimano was butter smooth/gearless cranking feel.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:38 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:36 pm

In the 90s-2000s...Daiwa was known for tight precision-smooth connected gear feel and Shimano was butter smooth/gearless cranking feel.
I am thinking more and more that I was just too quick to review the Aldebaran's smoothness. It felt tight this morning on Greers, but by the end of the day, after a few smallmouth, it was also somewhat glassy. Pretty smooth little reel. I would love to see a new Aldebaran 30 with this FTB system. I am not sure why I thought it was a more reserved system, it is actually fast for a magnetic system. The only complaint I now have for the Aldebaran is the brake dial and 80mm handle. I am about to replace the handle, and the brake dial, though ugly, actually doesn't get in the way at all. Also found out that the Aldebaran will really get good distance with 3/16 and a small plastic.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:04 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:38 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:36 pm

I am thinking more and more that I was just too quick to review the Aldebaran's smoothness. It felt tight this morning on Greers, but by the end of the day, after a few smallmouth, it was also somewhat glassy. Pretty smooth little reel. I would love to see a new Aldebaran 30 with this FTB system. I am not sure why I thought it was a more reserved system, it is actually fast for a magnetic system. The only complaint I now have for the Aldebaran is the brake dial and 80mm handle. I am about to replace the handle, and the brake dial, though ugly, actually doesn't get in the way at all. Also found out that the Aldebaran will really get good distance with 3/16 and a small plastic.
That’s all great to hear. I’m about to let mine rip on some early season Wisconsin trout. Beautiful week of weather coming (finally!)
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:31 am

Here are some pictures of the new handle. Thanks to TackleTrap for hooking me up with the correct covered handle nut to match it up. I was worried about the knobs matching/holding tolerances, but so far they feel great. I think any handle under 90mm feels strange, so this 90mm from the Curado MGL150 is great.

Last of all, just for storage I put the big Curado knobs on the stock 80mm handle. Made for a strange looking little handle.