Reel recommendation for 1/16 oz texas rigs?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
alads9252
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Reel recommendation for 1/16 oz texas rigs?

Post by alads9252 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:51 am

I'm new to BFS and looking to throw 1/16oz t-rigs with 2-3 inch plastics around pads and similar cover for bass. Some reels I've been considering are the 22 Aldebaran BFS (or 23 Conquest BFS) or the Gekkabijin. Thoughts on those choices or other reels I should be consdiering? I'll be sitting in a kayak most of the time so it'll be a lot of sidearm casting vs a typical underhand pitch. I tend to cast with a lot of power from using mostly centrifugal brake reels so I may need something forgiving in the BFS realm.

The rod I'm hoping to pair it with is an Abu Villain 2.0 ML 6'10 1/8-1/2 oz with a fairly fast tip. Open to other rod choices as well.

Appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Reel recommendation for 1/16 oz texas rigs?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:35 am

The Gekkabijin is a solid choice for those applications. Aldebaran is a great reel too but, availability is scarce with Shimano reels these days

You may want to look into a different rod. You won't be able to pitch so great sitting in a kayak so, the rod will need to load up better with the weight than usual. I have been playing with the Phenix Classic BFS 7ft for only a brief time. Still ice on the lakes but, got it out casting in some rivers. Loads well and is very light in hand. I can provide more info when the ice melts from the lakes :roll:
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

alads9252
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by alads9252 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:19 am

Thanks, Hobie-Wan. I might grab the T47C-370BCF Doomsday rod that TT reviewed at least to play around with temporarily and pair it with Gekkabijin. In terms of leader length, how long would you recommended for this use case? Not sure how BFS reels do with leader knots through guides.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:15 pm

Guides are generally micro-ish for most BFS rods. I usually use a long enough leader for my knot to never get reeled on the spool when my lure is reeled near the tip. That varies from rod to rod

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:24 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:35 am
The Gekkabijin is a solid choice for those applications. Aldebaran is a great reel too but, availability is scarce with Shimano reels these days

You may want to look into a different rod. You won't be able to pitch so great sitting in a kayak so, the rod will need to load up better with the weight than usual. I have been playing with the Phenix Classic BFS 7ft for only a brief time. Still ice on the lakes but, got it out casting in some rivers. Loads well and is very light in hand. I can provide more info when the ice melts from the lakes :roll:
I've been eyeballing that new Phenix series. My recommendation would be the Evergreen Orion Degel. Also the Phenix K2 683ml since you will be fishing around moderate cover. Has more power than the Orion, yet will load up with the proper reel.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:49 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:24 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:35 am

I've been eyeballing that new Phenix series. My recommendation would be the Evergreen Orion Degel. Also the Phenix K2 683ml since you will be fishing around moderate cover. Has more power than the Orion, yet will load up with the proper reel.
The Classic BFS feels pretty legit. Feels similar to the Dobyns Sierra. I have a small lake that opened up a bit from the warm weather. Hoping to meet a line tomorrow and hopefully catch some dink bass in the shallows.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:21 am

Are you gonna use braid + a short leader? If so, the Gekkabijin is an awesome reel. I didn't like the low line capacity of the stock spool, so I bought a Ray's Studio 28mm deep spool off Aliexpress. It has become my favorite mag BFS reel now and still cast down to 1/8 very well, though I typically use 1/4 to 3/8 total weight, as the rod is ML fast.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

alads9252
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by alads9252 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:41 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:21 am
Are you gonna use braid + a short leader? If so, the Gekkabijin is an awesome reel. I didn't like the low line capacity of the stock spool, so I bought a Ray's Studio 28mm deep spool off Aliexpress. It has become my favorite mag BFS reel now and still cast down to 1/8 very well, though I typically use 1/4 to 3/8 total weight, as the rod is ML fast.
that's the plan re: the leader. I was looking at that spool - did you get the sv or the fixed inductor version?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:50 pm

alads9252 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:41 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
that's the plan re: the leader. I was looking at that spool - did you get the sv or the fixed inductor version?
I went SV and couldnt be happier.

Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:27 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:50 pm
alads9252 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:41 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:

I went SV and couldnt be happier.

Would you please show me a link for this spool?
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:31 am

RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:55 pm

Smalleyez wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:31 am
https://m.aliexpress.us/item/3256802442 ... _shipto=US

Is this it?
That's the one!

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:12 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:55 pm
Smalleyez wrote:

Is this it?
That's the one!
Thank you!

I like your idea of using the Gekkabijin as a mag bfs reel. It would be a nice match for my medium light custom St. Croix.

Have you tried mono or fluoro on the Ray’s spool?
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:29 pm

Smalleyez wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:12 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:55 pm
Smalleyez wrote:

Is this it?
That's the one!
Thank you!

I like your idea of using the Gekkabijin as a mag bfs reel. It would be a nice match for my medium light custom St. Croix.

Have you tried mono or fluoro on the Ray’s spool?
I tried 8# CXX copoly at first, but I had to go from 6 to 12 on the mag dial to tame such a stiff line. It did restrict how free the spool feels with a good limp braid, but still wasn't choked off as severely as I thought it would be. The 28mm spool o.d. is just not as friendly to stiff line as a larger diameter spool would be.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:27 am

alads9252 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:51 am
I'm new to BFS and looking to throw 1/16oz t-rigs with 2-3 inch plastics around pads and similar cover for bass. Some reels I've been considering are the 22 Aldebaran BFS (or 23 Conquest BFS) or the Gekkabijin. Thoughts on those choices or other reels I should be consdiering? I'll be sitting in a kayak most of the time so it'll be a lot of sidearm casting vs a typical underhand pitch. I tend to cast with a lot of power from using mostly centrifugal brake reels so I may need something forgiving in the BFS realm.

The rod I'm hoping to pair it with is an Abu Villain 2.0 ML 6'10 1/8-1/2 oz with a fairly fast tip. Open to other rod choices as well.

Appreciate any thoughts or advice.
You should enjoy that rod. I use the PLX TE 6'10"ML for the same thing. Currently using a Millionaire CTSV with 8lb fluorocarbon on that rod, but probably going to switch the Aldebaran to it and buy a different ML for the Millionaire. I feel those Abu rods rest somewhere between a true ML and a lighter Medium rod. Perfect for what uses you described.