Fluoro on Gekkabijin

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
boatinpete
Angler
Angler

Fluoro on Gekkabijin

Post by boatinpete » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:45 am

Would using fluorocarbon or mono line actually compromise this reel,as am thinking about buying one, seems to me lately Daiwa reels feel more solid then Shimanos.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fluoro on Gekkabijin

Post by Cal » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:53 am

You're not going to compromise a reel with your choice in line.. the question is whether or not you can get enough fluoro or nylon mono onto the spool.. that reel has a VERY shallow spool.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:29 am

I’m glad this came up because I’m struggling to find a niche for my Gekkabijin. I bought it and an Aldebaran ‘22 BFS and my initial impressions are the Aldy blows the Gekkabijin out of the water for general bfs casting with lighter lures.

I ordered a Ray’s Studio 28mm Long Cast solid spool and I am going to make the Gekkabijin into more of a “mag BFS” reel for baits in the 4-8 gram range like hoohoorjoo did. I’m hoping I can successfully use mono of fluorocarbon on it with the Ray’s spool.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:42 pm

I would like to know this too. I bought the Aldebaran BFS and it held more 7lb Sunline Sniper Invisible (weird, thicker JDM fluoro) than I thought it would. I can cast a 1/16 on a Light or UL or use the reel on a ML or Medium and throw a 3/16 jighead plus plastic too. I am tempted to buy another BFS reel, just not sure which one. Would be happy with a Gekkabijin but most say it is a light braid only reel. I would like to see a direct comparison of the line capacity of the Aldebaran/Conquest vs the Gekkabijin.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:57 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:42 pm
I would like to see a direct comparison of the line capacity of the Aldebaran/Conquest vs the Gekkabijin.
Try reading the reviews and looking at the spool volume calculation in the spec table.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:56 am

Cal wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:57 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
I would like to see a direct comparison of the line capacity of the Aldebaran/Conquest vs the Gekkabijin.
Try reading the reviews and looking at the spool volume calculation in the spec table.
I forgot completely that Tackletour does that. Actually a pretty cool and accurate way to look at line capacity. You have the Gekkabijin listed at 1.7cm cubed, and the Aldebaran is at 4.8cm cubed. That is a bit over double capacity, so to answer my question, the Gekkabijin would be lucky to hold 30m or so of the line I am using. So that is an issue and possibly the fact that Daiwa claims fluoro/mono aren't recommended. I didn't find a review for the regular Alphas AIR TW, wondering how much more line that spool can hold without the shoulders like the Gekka and Air Stream have. Either way hoping the new SS AIR TW has better rated capacity.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:48 am

SS Air should have similar capasity as Alphas Air, I think.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:49 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:56 am
Cal wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:57 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
I forgot completely that Tackletour does that. Actually a pretty cool and accurate way to look at line capacity. You have the Gekkabijin listed at 1.7cm cubed, and the Aldebaran is at 4.8cm cubed. That is a bit over double capacity, so to answer my question, the Gekkabijin would be lucky to hold 30m or so of the line I am using. So that is an issue and possibly the fact that Daiwa claims fluoro/mono aren't recommended. I didn't find a review for the regular Alphas AIR TW, wondering how much more line that spool can hold without the shoulders like the Gekka and Air Stream have. Either way hoping the new SS AIR TW has better rated capacity.
I think the Alphas Air TW is perfect for 10# braid. I've used mine extensively with Sufix Nanobraid and it is an excellent reel. Pretty sure the SS Air will have the same identical 28mm spool(which is made by KTF).
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

boatinpete
Angler
Angler

Post by boatinpete » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:01 am

Seems to me Daiwa reels never have back play as Shimano reels, feel more solid but looks like I may wait for SS or new Conquest to come out as it will hold most of the time 7 pound test.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:16 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
. You have the Gekkabijin listed at 1.7cm cubed, and the Aldebaran is at 4.8cm cubed. That is a bit over double capacity,
It’s almost triple the capacity. The Gekka Bijin is a bit frustrating because it’s such a cool reel and has all those bearings and smoothness yet it seems so limited by that stock spool.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:23 pm

Smalleyez wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:16 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
. You have the Gekkabijin listed at 1.7cm cubed, and the Aldebaran is at 4.8cm cubed. That is a bit over double capacity,
It’s almost triple the capacity. The Gekka Bijin is a bit frustrating because it’s such a cool reel and has all those bearings and smoothness yet it seems so limited by that stock spool.
If I decide to get one, I will probably run under 10lb braid. Thing is, and I hate to say it, but I almost prefer spinning for hyper light braids. I put 6lb Berkley X9 on a Stradic a month or so ago, and after using it a while I wonder if I would even want braid that light on a casting setup. I have no issue with the line itself on a casting reel or BFS reels either, just not familiar enough with a UL/Light rod to match it with.
The Aldebaran on the other hand, I can use for general purposes due to line capacity. I have already used it with 7lb line on my UL Proflex 2, a 6'9"ML dropshot bass rod, and a lighter 7'Medium mod. fast for small swimbaits and shaky heads. This being said, I would almost buy another Aldebaran BFS or a Conquest BFS for the versatility instead of the Gekkabijin. I would consider the Alphas SVTW but it has no clicker and different gears. So far I feel my Alphas SVTW is smoother and more solid than the Aldebaran BFS, and I still hate the brake dial, but for some reason I really like the reel. Not sure what it is, but I really enjoy fishing and casting the Aldebaran.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:16 am

I have PE#1 Morethan in my Gekkabijin. It's ~30 m. In addition to that I have a lot of thin PE#0. 5(?) backing. This has worked well. Minimun lure losses. But once I catch a sunk branch on the next bank and lost my main line and lure. Fluoro (or Nylon) I would not suggest for GekkaBijin.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:18 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:16 am
I have PE#1 Morethan in my Gekkabijin. It's ~30 m. In addition to that I have a lot of thin PE#0. 5(?) backing. This has worked well. Minimun lure losses. But once I catch a sunk branch on the next bank and lost my main line and lure. Fluoro (or Nylon) I would not suggest for GekkaBijin.
Agreed, the Ray's deep finesse spool would be the way to go.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:46 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:16 am
Fluoro (or Nylon) I would not suggest for GekkaBijin.
Do you think the Gekkabijin with the Ray’s deep finesse spool will handle fluoro or nylon decently?
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:38 am

Smalleyez wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:46 am
Do you think the Gekkabijin with the Ray’s deep finesse spool will handle fluoro or nylon decently?
I don't have tried fluoro or nylon for it. But I can't figure out why it wouldn't work good with fluoro or nylon.
Ray's spool.jpg
Ray's spool.jpg (41.77 KiB) Viewed 6285 times
Ray's deep spool took 70 m of this PE#2.5 Owner Kizuna.