Fluoro on Gekkabijin

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Fluoro on Gekkabijin

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat May 13, 2023 9:53 am

Smalleyez wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 5:55 am
Well I did get to put the Gekkabijin with the Ray's deep spool through its paces yesterday. It cast great with the a X-Rap (1/4 oz?). It was a real real joy to use because both the cast and retrieve were silky smooth. I had 100m of Varivas Bush Trail 6# on the reel. Next time out I'll try some quality fluorocarbon. The Gekka now has a solid niche with me as a big trout/river smallmouth bass reel. Again, silky smooth casting and retrieving with plenty of range for my uses.

I had along another rod with my Alphas SV 105 SH and used a Pointer 78 on that outfit. It's a wonderful combo with a 6' Loomis IMX ML w/Weibe handle, but by the afternoon I only wanted the Gekkabijin with my custom St. Croix in my hands because it was so incredibly delightful!

The big fish of the day was only 17" and came on the Pointer 78 and Alphas/Loomis combo.
Nice fish and combos! I love love love my Gekkabijin with the Ray's spool. It is a power BFS dream!

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sat May 13, 2023 10:03 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 9:53 am
Smalleyez wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 5:55 am
Well I did get to put the Gekkabijin with the Ray's deep spool through its paces yesterday. It cast great with the a X-Rap (1/4 oz?). It was a real real joy to use because both the cast and retrieve were silky smooth. I had 100m of Varivas Bush Trail 6# on the reel. Next time out I'll try some quality fluorocarbon. The Gekka now has a solid niche with me as a big trout/river smallmouth bass reel. Again, silky smooth casting and retrieving with plenty of range for my uses.

I had along another rod with my Alphas SV 105 SH and used a Pointer 78 on that outfit. It's a wonderful combo with a 6' Loomis IMX ML w/Weibe handle, but by the afternoon I only wanted the Gekkabijin with my custom St. Croix in my hands because it was so incredibly delightful!

The big fish of the day was only 17" and came on the Pointer 78 and Alphas/Loomis combo.
Nice fish and combos! I love love love my Gekkabijin with the Ray's spool. It is a power BFS dream!
Were you ever right! It’s a dream to cast and retrieve. My custom St. Croix has finally found a partner.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun May 21, 2023 9:03 am

Ray's Deep Spool turned my GekkaBijin Air to perfect power finesse reel. Used it as my lightest set for seatrout. Casting sub 1/2 Oz inline spinners and chatterflies. Very good casting distance.

boatinpete
Angler
Angler

Post by boatinpete » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:20 pm

May buy a Gekka just because, believe flouro won't hurt it, simply enjoy Daiwa reels.

Senkobass1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Senkobass1 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:52 pm

How does the deep spool work in a gekkabijin? Looking for a finesse spool that can throw 1/4 oz well still but have like capacity. Where I fish, you can hook a small spotted bay bass or a bay ray. Had a few short bfs trips because of being spooled by a ray.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:36 pm

Senkobass1 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:52 pm
How does the deep spool work in a gekkabijin? Looking for a finesse spool that can throw 1/4 oz well still but have like capacity. Where I fish, you can hook a small spotted bay bass or a bay ray. Had a few short bfs trips because of being spooled by a ray.
It works very well! More than enough line and it will launch a 1/4 oz lure far.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:08 pm

Those of you who are using the Ray's deep spool in your Gekka, are you using the SV or fixed inductor style? Has anyone used both? I'm thinking about getting one to toss light cranks top water, and jerkbaits (3/16 oz ish) on my Evergreen Orion Lightning Strike. I like the consistency of a fixed rotor, but I'm not sure which works better with the Gekka. Has anyone used it in their Silver Creek? Curious if this spool runs the same in both reels, or if there's a noticeable difference. This spool seems popular, so it must be good.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:10 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:08 pm
Those of you who are using the Ray's deep spool in your Gekka, are you using the SV or fixed inductor style? Has anyone used both? I'm thinking about getting one to toss light cranks top water, and jerkbaits (3/16 oz ish) on my Evergreen Orion Lightning Strike. I like the consistency of a fixed rotor, but I'm not sure which works better with the Gekka. Has anyone used it in their Silver Creek? Curious if this spool runs the same in both reels, or if there's a noticeable difference. This spool seems popular, so it must be good.
I haven't read anything about this spool in the Silver Creek, but would imagine that if it fit, then the performance would be very similar as the Gekkabijin with the same spool, whether SV or fixed inductor.

See page 2:
http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php ... deep+spool
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:01 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:10 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I haven't read anything about this spool in the Silver Creek, but would imagine that if it fit, then the performance would be very similar as the Gekkabijin with the same spool, whether SV or fixed inductor.

See page 2:
It fits the Silver Creek and the 2020 Alphas Air TW. The Silver Creek and the Gekka are essentially the same reel with different brake tunings from my understanding.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:37 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:01 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:

See page 2:
It fits the Silver Creek and the 2020 Alphas Air TW. The Silver Creek and the Gekka are essentially the same reel with different brake tunings from my understanding.

I think the performance should be similar then, as I understand the braking profiles to also be affected by the spool designs. If the Silver Creek braking is made more for shorter controlled casts, then perhaps the fixed rotor Ray's BFS deep spool might be a better option for longer casts than the SV versus when the SV is in the Gekkabijin.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:42 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:37 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:01 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:

See page 2:

I think the performance should be similar then, as I understand the braking profiles to also be affected by the spool designs. If the Silver Creek braking is made more for shorter controlled casts, then perhaps the fixed rotor Ray's BFS deep spool might be a better option for longer casts than the SV versus when the SV is in the Gekkabijin.
That would likely be the case. I'm just curious how the fixed version runs in the Gekka, and how it may perform differently than the SV version.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:57 am

That's noted in page 2 on the above link I posted. ;)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:16 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:57 am
That's noted in page 2 on the above link I posted. ;)
Thanks bud