Still in search of the one UL spinning rod

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Still in search of the one UL spinning rod

Post by oops » Thu May 11, 2023 3:54 pm

Looking for a rod with a soft but sensitive tip that quickly loads into a nice backbone

I currently own:

21 Bellezza Prototype 612. Need to give it more of a fair shake to with some solid fish this summer, only caught micro bass on it so far. I personally find the short butt section quite off putting but I can see what a lot of people would love about this rod.

Whichever 18 Corto was super popular on here a few years ago. For vertical fishing, or drifting/short casting with something I'm jigging, there is a lot to like here.

G Loomis 801-2 TSR (not the GLX). It's the least premium feeling rod I own of all the many rods in my arsenal, by far. Poor sensitivity and way too moderate of an action to really jig stuff properly even though that's how I UL fish primarily. Yet it's still the rod I end up reaching for the most.

I haven't kept up to date with any new UL stuff in at least a year or so. I run I think .3, maybe .2 PE to 4lb fluoro and like to run a bit of a longer leader so normal guides is a big help. Can't stand the super duper micro guides. I know Shimano has a number of Cardiff rods at various price points, any of them that might suit my needs?

Please TT, help separate a man from his money

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Still in search of the one UL spinning rod

Post by oops » Wed May 31, 2023 10:33 pm

Got some time in with the Bellezza Prototype today. Target species was big bluegill using a .8g jighead and 1.5 inch soft plastic but numerous 14inch+ bass came along, putting me to the test alongside some monster gills. Had an absolute heart breaker at the end losing a 4+lb bass.

I strongly dislike the short butt and despise the super duper micro guides, but know it actually suits the preference of some anglers. The sensitivity is top tier. Not NRX level (Im spoiled and set a high bar) but faaar better than the Corto/TSR. I'm much less disappointed in this purchase now that I had a real day with it on the water, but the search for the one continues

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Still in search of the one UL spinning rod

Post by slipperybob » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:06 pm

Posion Adrena 6'10 UL/M rod. UL tip into a M backbone rod.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish