Any Panfish Enthusiast On TackleTour?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Any Panfish Enthusiast On TackleTour?

Post by Firstoutfisher » Thu May 25, 2023 5:14 pm

DarkShadow wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:39 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 1:52 pm
It's funny how bluegill are the first fish many of us have caught and as we get older, we go back to them.
You are correct. The bluegill was the first freshwater fish I caught. I used to use a small mealworm under a bobber and had a blast.

And then one day, it happened. One of those "bigger green fish" ended up eating the tiny mealworm, and gave me the most exciting fight of my life.

Suddenly the bluegill were left in the rear view mirror and the bass bug had bit hard.

BUT, when you can target 1 lb+ bluegill, and catch 100 of them in an afternoon, the bass may take a back seat for a day.
Where are you catching 100 1lb+ bluegill a day and on what setup? I think we would all like to know

Crappie Pro Wannabe
Angler
Angler

Post by Crappie Pro Wannabe » Fri May 26, 2023 5:27 am

John G wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 7:49 pm
This is from I think the last time that I went fishing and it was in February. I'll be totally honest and say that with the UL tackle that I like to use, I would be happy if Panfish were all I caught all day long.

John G, what rod are you using?

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Fri May 26, 2023 12:54 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 5:14 pm
Where are you catching 100 1lb+ bluegill a day and on what setup? I think we would all like to know
It's a little lake in SoCal. Everyone knows it's lightly pressured for the big bulls, but otherwise gets a lot of pressure from bass anglers. The window of opportunity to get them tho, lasts about a week, so it's luck or phone call from a good friend. Doesn't take much. Little 1/100th ounce jig head from the flyfishing section at BassPro, and a 1" Squirmin Grub. You can see the bait in most of the pics.

And my setup is not a real panfish set up at all.

It's my ultralight bass rod, which consists of an old school Powell Max 681. It's one of those rods that if I broke, there is really no other rod in the Powell line like it that could replace the Green Hornet as I call it, since they got rid of their "Max" line. I have a few Endurance rods that I don't care too much for as well.

The reel is a Shimano Soare BB 1000S. I have 2 spools and when trout fishing or pan fishing, I use 2#. That rod is not parabolic at all. These panfish sure do feel the hookset. :lol: I sometimes feel bad. Sometimes.

Yet, the rod has a soft enough tip to handle light line, but the back bone to just drag them in. Plus, when you use quality FC, you don't have to worry about a parabolic rod to handle the lighter line.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sat May 27, 2023 3:24 am

Crappie Pro Wannabe wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 5:27 am
John G wrote:
It's a Shimano Poison Glorious 5'10"UL-S with a Shimano Twin Power C2000SHG. The S is for a Solid Tip. I realized that after I ordered it and I tried to get a refund from Japan Angler but I was told that it had already been shipped. I then started researching what a solid tip is all about and I remembered that the Poison Ultima 162L-S that I used to own had a solid tip and it was fine so I was happy with my purchase. I've only used this rod one time and IIRC, I caught either two or three Bluegill with it.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Tue May 30, 2023 4:30 pm

John G wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 3:24 am
Crappie Pro Wannabe wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 5:27 am
John G wrote:
It's a Shimano Poison Glorious 5'10"UL-S with a Shimano Twin Power C2000SHG. The S is for a Solid Tip. I realized that after I ordered it and I tried to get a refund from Japan Angler but I was told that it had already been shipped. I then started researching what a solid tip is all about and I remembered that the Poison Ultima 162L-S that I used to own had a solid tip and it was fine so I was happy with my purchase. I've only used this rod one time and IIRC, I caught either two or three Bluegill with it.
How do you like the solid tip compared to a regular tip?
I've noticed solid tip rods are very popular in Japan.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue May 30, 2023 5:45 pm

mrpao - I know you were not asking me but, I like solid tipped rods, as long as the tip has a smooth taper into the tubular part of the blank. Those super fast tipped rods scare me and also so not allow the rest of the rod to play the fish as well as a smoother tip-to-mid taper.

The Phenix Classic BFS is a great example of a "power" panfish rod for me. Big ones out a healthy bend in the rod and I still have control when pitching around cover for them.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed May 31, 2023 2:20 pm

mrpao wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 4:30 pm
How do you like the solid tip compared to a regular tip?
I've noticed solid tip rods are very popular in Japan.
mrpao, I like what Hobie said about liking a solid tip if the solid portion bends with the tubular part of the blank. This one does not do that. The solid part goes all the way to the 6th guide. Given the choice between a solid tip and a tubular tip, I believe that I would go with the tubular tip all day long. As you can see, this one is very fast. So fast that I wish it was a little slower.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Wed May 31, 2023 2:32 pm

Thanks for explaining.
I've never owned a solid tip before.
I've heard they weren't as sensitive because the softer tip dampens some of the vibrations. That's one reason, I've never been too interested in trying one.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed May 31, 2023 3:02 pm

mrpao wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:32 pm
Thanks for explaining.
I've never owned a solid tip before.
I've heard they weren't as sensitive because the softer tip dampens some of the vibrations. That's one reason, I've never been too interested in trying one.
I was fishing with little 1.5g jig heads with Panfish Magnet plastics and 3LB Sniper and I had no trouble feeling bites. I'd still go with the tubular tip.

Oktayne the Red
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Oktayne the Red » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:00 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 1:52 pm
DarkShadow wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 12:08 pm
A few months ago, I caught a big ole bluegill on a crankbait. So, I went back the next week with 2 pound test and had a blast.

http://instagr.am/p/CeXc8BcrpB0/
It's funny how bluegill are the first fish mano of us have caught and as we get older, we go back to them.
Ha! Truth. I've said that about Moonfish and Lookdowns on the salt side for awhile.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:47 am

crappie fishing is what has gotten me into bfs. i keep trying small t-rigs & 1/8oz bass-type jigs, but i can't seem to get it working. i have had a little luck on 1/8oz spinnerbaits & chatterbaits.

back in the winter, i was catching a few big crappie on a jerkbait. i'm hoping this winter get into them with smaller jerks

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:18 am

Been working the laydowns along the Mississppi River with my Alde 22 and carbon rod from Jackson (that I can't spell). Hobie thanks for the review, the rod is electric with 4# flouro. The perch came on weed edges. There's a Wisconsin 15 crappie limit and one big gill in the live-well from yesterday.

Jason, it's not a glamour lure, but I haven't found anything better than a Bobby Garland Baby Shad on a 1/16 oz. jig for the crappies. I've caught a few on the Z-Man stuff but the BGBS is clearly more productive in my waters.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:13 pm

When the red eye/rock bass are spawning here in my local Stones River it's a blast...the TN record is also from the Stones River at over 2 lbs.

I love catching them on an inline spinner or beetle spin type lure with my custom Lamiglas XMG50 SJ 781 with light braid + fluoro leader.

These aggressive and feisty fish also like 1/4 oz chatters with small trailers, and will also strike full sized spinnerbaits, topwaters, cranks, jigs.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:38 am

Smalleyez wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:18 am

Been working the laydowns along the Mississppi River with my Alde 22 and carbon rod from Jackson (that I can't spell). Hobie thanks for the review, the rod is electric with 4# flouro. The perch came on weed edges. There's a Wisconsin 15 crappie limit and one big gill in the live-well from yesterday.

Jason, it's not a glamour lure, but I haven't found anything better than a Bobby Garland Baby Shad on a 1/16 oz. jig for the crappies. I've caught a few on the Z-Man stuff but the BGBS is clearly more productive in my waters.
I second this, not only have I caught tons of crappie with the BG Baby Shad (also 1/16 jighead), but plenty of bream/bluegill/other panfish tok. Something about that straight tail with that 1/16 fall rate just works. Only other comparable lure is the 2" Easy Shiner and they get expensive quick...