Better braid to prevent digging on bfs reel?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Okie2
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Better braid to prevent digging on bfs reel?

Post by Okie2 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:09 am

I have been using various braid on different outfits for years…the problem is I can’t find one that won’t occasionally dig in to my bfs reel & cause havoc. Have always liked Suffix 832 use Power pro & Berk x9 sometimes. Have stopped using braid altogether in place of Sniper fc (it has issues too but can live with). Usually running 5-12lb line…mostly 8-10 due to dock cables & structure on my home lake (Grand Lake,OK). Thoughts? Thanks Scott

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Better braid to prevent digging on bfs reel?

Post by dhottle » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:09 am

Have you tried Suffix 131? It's the smoothest best casting braid I have used. Super round shape.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:05 pm

Okie2 wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:09 am
I have been using various braid on different outfits for years…the problem is I can’t find one that won’t occasionally dig in to my bfs reel & cause havoc. Have always liked Suffix 832 use Power pro & Berk x9 sometimes. Have stopped using braid altogether in place of Sniper fc (it has issues too but can live with). Usually running 5-12lb line…mostly 8-10 due to dock cables & structure on my home lake (Grand Lake,OK). Thoughts? Thanks Scott
I have always been a big user of Sufix 832, used 8lb on a DIY BFS spool for 1016 Daiwa, tried 30lb for topwater, and still run 50lb for frogs. For me it was the same, would run fine most of the time then I'd get a horrible backlash. It is very hard to not use straight light fluoro on BFS for me, actually just started a thread on using heavier fluoro, 8-10lb on BFS reels...

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:30 pm

The Varivas braid has been very reliable for me thus far:

http://tackletour.com/reviewinsightvarivas.html

Also, the Spro Braid has held up surprisingly well:

http://tackletour.com/reviewsprofinessebraid.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:34 pm

It doesn't sound like you are throwing 1-3 gram lures, so I wouldn't be too concerned with line size as a BFS UL purist would. Forget the # rating and go by PE size. PE 1.2 (.185mm) and up should limit problems. If there is not a great reason to have a bunch of line on the spool, stick with 30-40 meters. Put a little tension on the line with your fingers when reeling in slack line.

PE 1.2 is equivilent in size to 5# Sniper, it should cast 3 grams and up with no issue. If your using 10-12# Sniper for "BFS" then you shouldnt have issue going up to PE size 2, which is equivilent to #8 Sniper in size.

Digs are like backlashes, it's going to happen every now and then. Goal should be to limit the issue.

Okie2
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Okie2 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:59 pm

I throw a ton of Sniper because I trust it day in/day out…like in the old days when I used Stren (still do topwater) but it’s stretch on a long/deep cast with a shaky head would be better served by braid. Picked up a new Zodias 72 BFS rod at a local mom/pop fishing store. Gonna throw on an Alde that felt neglected. Spooled with X9 15lb & 12lb fc leader…new to me FG knot (thank you Salt Strong for the video). Will top with midwest finesse head & 7” green floating worm. Should be fun. Thanks guys!

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:52 pm

One of the best method to prevent line mismatch on the spool and dig in is to simply center your level wind guide before casting. The prevents the widest angle of the line if that happens to be at the end of the cast. Most of the problems comes from that after the line is overlay and then it loosens up underneath and is pressed upon the upper layers of line. One cannot prevent braid dig in 100%.

As so far as being the best line management on the spool. I found YGK G-Soul SS112. 8 strands of 4 ester line and 4 PE line. The body stiffness from the ester line prevents line dig in. Overall it's a little thicker than an equivalent 8 strands PE braid. However the line behavior on the spool trade off has won me over. Even though I only spool about 30-35 meters on only, whereas I can get bout 40-50 meters of equivalent 8 strands PE braid on.

Second best I used I would say Sufix 131 G-Core. However fresh line tends to fluff up at the end of the cast on the spool, especially with light lures in addition I have to up the brakes on my reels with this line.

YGK Upgrade X8 is overall great especially brand new. The only exception is that after one year use to include ice fishing and the following spring the line did soften up on my spinning reel.

Diawa J-Braid X8 has been overall great as well. The Grand version is a bit softer and smoother. Handles well too but is a bit more prone to line dig in over standard J-Braid.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish