Shimano says no to nylon on CC BFS and Aldebaran BFS?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Shimano says no to nylon on CC BFS and Aldebaran BFS?

Post by ras » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:46 pm

Hello,

My question is pretty much in the subject. Shimano notes that CC BFS and Aldebaran GFS are exclusively for fluorocarbon. I realize nylon stretches and contracts – does it damage the thin-walled spool in real-world usage?

Thanks.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano says no to nylon on CC BFS and Aldebaran BFS?

Post by Slazmo » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:42 am

Nylon absorbs water and has been known to split a spool of an Alvey.

So it's undeniable that it'll do damage to a thin walled spool.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:28 am

ras wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:46 pm
Hello,

My question is pretty much in the subject. Shimano notes that CC BFS and Aldebaran GFS are exclusively for fluorocarbon. I realize nylon stretches and contracts – does it damage the thin-walled spool in real-world usage?

Thanks.
Inevitably, you will find people on here that still use mono on BFS setups. I personally wouldn't risk it. I know some people use the Varivus trout mono lines, and maybe a few other specific varieties. I use my Aldebaran BFS with straight 7lb fluoro, and it really doesn't hold a lot. It was fine when I first spooled it, but after a few hundred reties and a couple break offs, it is pretty close to empty on a long cast. For all this, I see why people pick braid now.

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:07 pm

Thanks. I figured nylon isn't optimal for relatively fragile spools.

To those who're using CC BFS or Aldebaran BFS for stream trout: do you limit yourself to braid (possibly fluorocarbon) or manage nylon without damage to the spool? Just want to get some statistics on this subject. Thanks in advance.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:34 pm

I have 4lb original stren on my aldebaran and have ever since I had it (when they were first released). No issues thus far.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:29 pm

ras wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:07 pm
Thanks. I figured nylon isn't optimal for relatively fragile spools.

To those who're using CC BFS or Aldebaran BFS for stream trout: do you limit yourself to braid (possibly fluorocarbon) or manage nylon without damage to the spool? Just want to get some statistics on this subject. Thanks in advance.
I use braid on my two 2022 Aldebaran BFS reels. Both on stock spools and on Avail spools. I may try fluorocarbon on the stock spools this year. Braid has longevity and I often just use it because it is the easy choice. Flurocarbon has some advantages in my small stream trout fishing - mainly it does not get caught as much by wind as thin braid does, which means fewer issues with line in vegetation.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:00 am

I have used mono for years on spools that say "no mono". I usually use 4lb and do not put more than 50m on. I do not use a lot of pressure spooling the line on either.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:22 pm

In a similar vein, Daiwa says no braid on their AIR spools so, since I use don't use a ton of topwater BFS, I have 7# Daiwa Samurai fluoro on my Alphas AIR 7.2. I've considered grabbing some 6# Super Natural mono, but fluoro handles so well.
Andy