Thoughts on high end bfs?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Okie2
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Thoughts on high end bfs?

Post by Okie2 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:10 am

So when I switched from spinning rods to bfs (bad wrist…easier to fish with baitcasting) I sold my Steez, GLX, & NRX spinning rods. So far my bfs rods include: Phenix Feather that I built, a Dobyns Sierra, a Shimano Zodias, Megabass Elise, Eisel, Pop X, & Kasumi, a couple Ray’s Fishing, a couple Old 18’s, a couple of North Fork Composites blanks to build, a Abu Garcia (travel rod), a Jenko Double Down, and a Chinese cheapo. I luv bfs fishing but I would like a rod that is on par with the NRX or Steez for sensitivity. Thoughts on rods available today that qualify…don’t care if it’s a US or JDM purchase and a 6’8” seems to be a good compromise on length and want somewhere between med light & light action…. Probably run 8lb Sniper line (big lake, lots of structure & 6+lb bass). Thoughts? Thanks, Scott

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Thoughts on high end bfs?

Post by dragon1 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:40 am

Research Tiemco Fenwick Techna, Super Techna and TPMX BFS.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:32 pm

I have an evergreen phase fielden star BFS. The phase series is there mid tier lineup so I wouldn't quite say its on the same level as the spinning tackle you listed but it is probably one of the higher end BFS bass rods available right now barring something like a poison ultima/glorious, not sure if JDM steez lineup has a bfs rod. Anyway I have heard rumors that evergreen is going to release a HIGH end bfs rod sometime next year in the Kaleido Series. May want to wait and see what that is because I bet its going to be amazing.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:07 pm

...following...

:D
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

shadybanks
Angler
Angler

Post by shadybanks » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:01 am

The 2 power NRX+ and Conquest rods are super sensitive and definitely BFS bass capable rods.

The NRX+ 802 and 842 or the CQ 782 and 842 are all listed as medium but they all have a very light tip that will throw about anything you want.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:58 am

I think diminishing returns are more prevalent with BFS rods than "normal" rods. High end rods are great and noticable such as the Megabass Triza Alleo, even though it isn't HIGH end.

The most noticable thing you will notice will be the taper with high end rods. Fast actions that blend into a progressive backbone vs wet noodle rods or ones that have a soft tip then just shut off.

Most lighter powered rods are sensitive enough to not be the primary factor...if that makes sense.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:19 pm

I have a couple high end Tenryu rods that I really like, though I haven’t truly caught anything BFS worthy with either.

johnmyers
Angler
Angler

Post by johnmyers » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:28 am

Just got an NRX plus inshore 841c and it is fantastic paired with Aldebaren bfs mat me the ultimate bfs outfit weighs 7.8 oz

Okie2
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Okie2 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:23 am

I didn’t realize gloomis made that model. I’m a big fan & had a bunch of nrx’s spinning rods that I dumped to get bfs rods. Why is called an “inshore” model? How light a bait can you throw?

johnmyers
Angler
Angler

Post by johnmyers » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:58 am

I didn’t know about it either until I called Loomis last week. It was really a sweet rod like every NRX plus. I was casting a Z Man 1/15 oz jig with a finesse TRD and casts great. Using 6 lb 832 with 6 lb floro leader. It has split grip slightly shorter handle than my NRX plus 842c mbr which might make it a little better for jerks and top water. If you are an NRX guy you will love this rod and I see no difference between inshore and bass rods

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:05 pm

johnmyers wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:28 am
Just got an NRX plus inshore 841c and it is fantastic paired with Aldebaren bfs mat me the ultimate bfs outfit weighs 7.8 oz
That's nuts...I still power fish with 9-10 oz reels! Lol.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

johnmyers
Angler
Angler

Post by johnmyers » Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:16 am

dragon1 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:05 pm
johnmyers wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:28 am
Just got an NRX plus inshore 841c and it is fantastic paired with Aldebaren bfs may be the ultimate bfs outfit weighs 7.8 oz
That's nuts...I still power fish with 9-10 oz reels! Lol.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:31 am

Sounds like it weighs about 3.2 oz on the rod...interesting.

I sold a Fenwick Tiemco Golden Wing LP+J 6'10"L a few months ago and that rod was right at 3 oz, and it had a light powered tip with a med backbone that could actually handle 1/2 oz lipless. I know Fenwick Japan also has the 7'0" models and the higher Aces and Techna & Super Techna versions which are even lighter, but I'm not sure the backbone is the same as this Inshore NRX.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:59 am

I made the move from spinning gear to BFS casting gear last season and I enjoy fishing with BFS gear far more than I ever enjoyed using spinning gear, despite having plenty of high end JDM fishing tackle options such as Daiwa Steez Type 2, four generations of Stella spinning reels, and a plethora of Evergreen Poseiden Salty Sensation and Superior rods.

My list of high end JDM BFS rods are:

1. Sedition Cristobal: Simply the best finesse bottom contact rod I have ever used! I always have one tied on with a 5g Nories Kameraba Finesse Jig and an Escape Twin trailer. The other rod, is my go-to drop shot rig depending on the water conditions being fished and usually has a 3.5g Ryugi Delta TG Weight with a #4 Owner Mosquito hook and a 2.5" OSP Mylar Minnow or a 3" Fish Arrow Flash J rigged up for use. The Sedition Cristobal has simply off the charts levels of felt sensitivity with plenty of power to get big smallmouth bass out of cover when needed.

2. Megabass Destroyer X7 Super Criffhanger: Perhaps the best combination of smooth casting and slack line sensitivity when using the 5g Imakatsu Spin Jerk finesse jerkbait, late last spring, we had several 100+ fish days on a couple of river backwater sloughs/lakes that were incredible and astounding. The potent combination of the tiny finesse jerkbait and Active Target 2 Foward Facing Sonar (FFS) was unbeatable when the fish were staging for the spawn and we caught everything including a 29" walleye, lots of smallmouth bass, and even a 14.5" crappie with this rod.

3. Daiwa Steez Racing Design STZ RD 641ML+XB-SMT Technical Tune SMT: This solid tip model (Super Metal Top) of the Racing Design model line is perhaps my favorite finesse topwater rod, equally adept at casting the new 5g MB Karashi sinking pencil bait all the way down to the fantastic 3g DUO Tetra Works Poco Poco finesse popper. In a pinch the SMT also does a credible job presenting finesse bottom contact lures but its shorter length compared to the Sedition Cristobal keeps from being ranked higher than the previous rods on this list.

4. Keitech F-Spec KTC762F-SPG: The perfect rod for casting and presenting a weightless wacky-rigged 3" Fat Senko with unmatched casting distance and a great parabolic midsection that put every single smallmouth bass in the boat last season fishing on Chequamegon Bay when fishing conditions precluded faster reaction presentations.

Of these wonderful high end JDM BFS rods, only the Keitech rods are in current production, but the other rods occasionally become available on the secondary market with the Sedition Cristobal being the hardest rod to source on this list followed closely by the MB X7 Super Criffhanger.

Good luck with your BFS fishing journey!
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

rocketsurgeon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rocketsurgeon » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:02 pm

City17Banner wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:59 am
I made the move from spinning gear to BFS casting gear last season and I enjoy fishing with BFS gear far more than I ever enjoyed using spinning gear, despite having plenty of high end JDM fishing tackle options such as Daiwa Steez Type 2, four generations of Stella spinning reels, and a plethora of Evergreen Poseiden Salty Sensation and Superior rods.

My list of high end JDM BFS rods are:

1. Sedition Cristobal: Simply the best finesse bottom contact rod I have ever used! I always have one tied on with a 5g Nories Kameraba Finesse Jig and an Escape Twin trailer. The other rod, is my go-to drop shot rig depending on the water conditions being fished and usually has a 3.5g Ryugi Delta TG Weight with a #4 Owner Mosquito hook and a 2.5" OSP Mylar Minnow or a 3" Fish Arrow Flash J rigged up for use. The Sedition Cristobal has simply off the charts levels of felt sensitivity with plenty of power to get big smallmouth bass out of cover when needed.

2. Megabass Destroyer X7 Super Criffhanger: Perhaps the best combination of smooth casting and slack line sensitivity when using the 5g Imakatsu Spin Jerk finesse jerkbait, late last spring, we had several 100+ fish days on a couple of river backwater sloughs/lakes that were incredible and astounding. The potent combination of the tiny finesse jerkbait and Active Target 2 Foward Facing Sonar (FFS) was unbeatable when the fish were staging for the spawn and we caught everything including a 29" walleye, lots of smallmouth bass, and even a 14.5" crappie with this rod.

3. Daiwa Steez Racing Design STZ RD 641ML+XB-SMT Technical Tune SMT: This solid tip model (Super Metal Top) of the Racing Design model line is perhaps my favorite finesse topwater rod, equally adept at casting the new 5g MB Karashi sinking pencil bait all the way down to the fantastic 3g DUO Tetra Works Poco Poco finesse popper. In a pinch the SMT also does a credible job presenting finesse bottom contact lures but its shorter length compared to the Sedition Cristobal keeps from being ranked higher than the previous rods on this list.

4. Keitech F-Spec KTC762F-SPG: The perfect rod for casting and presenting a weightless wacky-rigged 3" Fat Senko with unmatched casting distance and a great parabolic midsection that put every single smallmouth bass in the boat last season fishing on Chequamegon Bay when fishing conditions precluded faster reaction presentations.

Of these wonderful high end JDM BFS rods, only the Keitech rods are in current production, but the other rods occasionally become available on the secondary market with the Sedition Cristobal being the hardest rod to source on this list followed closely by the MB X7 Super Criffhanger.

Good luck with your BFS fishing journey!
Excellent suggestions for future acquisitions, any JDM reels and lines that you can recommend. Thank you very much!