Stripping/Rebuilding a rod with a textured blank

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Stripping/Rebuilding a rod with a textured blank

Post by i_am_R2 » Tue May 30, 2023 1:24 am

Hi Rod Experts!

Is it possible to strip a rod with a textured blank without ruining it?

I tried doing some research but couldn't really find anything, so if anyone has any thoughts on whether it can be done that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Stripping/Rebuilding a rod with a textured blank

Post by Mattman » Tue May 30, 2023 2:21 am

Blanks with a finish are more difficult to work with. Its pretty hard to remove everything and not damage the finish. So, you wind up putting the new components right where the old ones were to cover up those blemishes. Or, you strip the finish all the way off the blank so you have a fresh canvas. This is typically my course of action.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Stripping/Rebuilding a rod with a textured blank

Post by i_am_R2 » Tue May 30, 2023 11:11 am

Thanks Matt! That is kind of what I was thinking.

I have an Nrx+ MBR844 that pretty often has the line getting caught on the hook keeper during a cast. Happens enough I was thinking to have it removed. Then I thought about having it rebuilt to balance it out better since I also find it pretty tip heavy (tried a bunch of reels too which didn't help so its not the most comfortable to fish for a long time), and some of the guides are way off center which drives me crazy lol. It performs great though which is why I was considering altering it.

Hmm, what to do. Thanks again for the response!