Clean Epoxy Tips

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Clean Epoxy Tips

Post by sarcazmo » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:33 pm

So I figured I'd ask here because you guys do great.

I build probably 3-5 rods a year. On larger guides or thread pieces, usually I can get fairly clean epoxy lines. Not perfect, but pretty good. Small guides I still have issues getting clean lines, especially towards the guide ring.

I currently wrap with an old pac bay and wrapper, and apply the epoxy using a crb rod dryer I think it spins 9 or 12rpm with the slip clutch. I think part of my problem is I don't have the rods very stabilized towards the tip, I need to do a better job getting them centered in the dryer hole.

I realize thats probably not the best way to do it, but do you have any tips?

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Clean Epoxy Tips

Post by ogrich31 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:12 pm

There are a few different methods that I've heard of being used to get the straightest line.

I personally used my power wrapper and make the lines at high speeds (200+rpm), but that doesn't work when the blank isn't fairly straight. If the blank isn't straight, I'll free hand it or use my other hand to hold on the blank (while it's spinning) and brush on epoxy with my other hand. I'll use the holding-the-blank method often, mainly for adding finish on the tip wrap.

A friend of mine uses high quality painters tape to get straight lines. It must be fairly high quality as epoxy will creep under cheaper tape.

Hopefully one of these methods will be of help to you.