Dream Jig Rod Build

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Dream Jig Rod Build

Post by goldrod » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:08 pm

I know everyone has their opinions but I thought it would be interesting to see those opinions on what your dream jig rod build would consist of.

Blank ( material, sanded or Unsanded, )
Length
Guides ( distance apart, guide type , spiral L/R or not )
Thread color
Handle material and type
Handle length
Balancing system or not and if so by whom

This is your build so if I left something out be sure to mention it.
Remember it’s dream build but must be realistic
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Dream Jig Rod Build

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:33 pm

Phenix K2 736 blank
Fuji K-series Ti/SiC micros, #6 double, #5 single, finish with #4's including tip. One disclaimer- I jig fish with straight braid. If I fished a leader or hvy flouro, I'd go with #5's to finish out, instead of #4's.
10.5" Split grip EVA grip with Fuji counterbalance butt kit
Fuji ECSM seat with black hood, threads trimmed 3/8", no foregrip
Closed hook keeper 2" ahead top edge of reel seat, positioned on the bottom of the blank
Silver winding checks in split grip and ahead of reel seat
Pewter thread wraps with metallic silver and black trim bands
If I were building with a specific reel in mind, I'd include thin trim bands with a bright, complimentary accent color. With the right builder, this can be accomplished for about the same $$$ as a stock one.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:02 pm

Just started this today. It should work out great for jigs

My son nicknamed it Batman bc is the jet black painted grip

Point Blank 731 Heavy Blank
Painted Matagi Acs grip
Cork butt and grip
Fuji Ti TorZite guides

Either kw10 to 5.5’s or Rv6 to 5.5’s will test both

Prob run the stripper guide at 19-20 inch out

10 1/8 inch grip length

Straight black thread wrap

Should finish a good bit under 4oz.

No weight or balance

ImageUntitled by , on Flickr

ImageUntitled by , on Flickr
Last edited by bbates3 on Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:28 pm

I will be building up a 736 SJ X-Ray that I'm hoping to use for 1/2 oz jigs. I'm using the G2 carbon split grip with a CCT real seat and torzite guide train. The running guides will be a combination of size 5 and 4.5. I plan on epoxying the butt cap last and will add some tungsten if it doesn't balance right. I'm going to use a 20 Metanium XG for the reel.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:38 am

Great information here!
Very enlightening.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:13 am

HobeyBaker wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:28 pm
I will be building up a 736 SJ X-Ray that I'm hoping to use for 1/2 oz jigs. I'm using the G2 carbon split grip with a CCT real seat and torzite guide train. The running guides will be a combination of size 5 and 4.5. I plan on epoxying the butt cap last and will add some tungsten if it doesn't balance right. I'm going to use a 20 Metanium XG for the reel.
Half ounce jigs may be the top limit for the SJ 736. I use that blank for Texas Rigs. The rod pitches well but, casts kinda odd. Super sensitive and easy to balance.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:27 pm

Question:

When choosing a blank what listing are you going off of?
The mud hole ( I think that’s a rod building supply store. It’s the only one I know of) blank stock?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:20 pm

goldrod wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:27 pm
Question:

When choosing a blank what listing are you going off of?
The mud hole ( I think that’s a rod building supply store. It’s the only one I know of) blank stock?
Mudhole is ok, but I prefer to buy from Get Bit Outdoors. Both are in Florida, just a couple hours from you.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:16 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Curious which CCT seat you chose, Blade or Razor? Also are you using an insert? I would consider this seat if the blank is exposed without a insert. I am using the Xray MB733 and MB736 blanks so the diameters are a little different.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:34 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:33 pm
Phenix K2 736 blank
How do you like that blank? It's the only one I haven't played with. I've used all the other K2 blanks. The stand out for me is the 764 with 2" off the tip.

And to keep on topic..

Blank: K2 715
Length: 7'1"
Guides: Fuji Titanium SIC. LN 7, 6, KB 5, KT 5's to tip (KG torzite) slow spiral to the left
Thread color: Fuji Ultra Poly black size A
Handle material and type: Fuji ECS reel seat, full grip cork
Handle length: 12" from butt to bottom of reel seat
Balancing system: Matagi butt balancer

Not really a "dream" jig rod, but it's the best I've tried so far. My first one broke (my fault), and the replacement blank has been sitting on my rack, untouched for 2 years. I unfortunately don't have the time to build for myself these days with the amount of builds I take.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:14 pm

ogrich31 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:34 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Phenix K2 736 blank
How do you like that blank? It's the only one I haven't played with. I've used all the other K2 blanks. The stand out for me is the 764 with 2" off the tip.

And to keep on topic..

Guides: Fuji Titanium SIC. LN 7, 6, KB 5, KT 5's to tip (KG torzite) slow spiral to the left

Not really a "dream" jig rod, but it's the best I've tried so far. My first one broke (my fault), and the replacement blank has been sitting on my rack, untouched for 2 years. I unfortunately don't have the time to build for myself these days with the amount of builds I take.

What’s a slow spiral?
I understand the words but I didn’t know that there was a difference other than left and right.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:46 am

ogrich31 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:34 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Phenix K2 736 blank

And to keep on topic..

I don't have this rod in a custom build (yet), but I've used the stock version and it is one of the lightest and most sensitive heavy power rods I've ever fished. I don't like that factory reel seat, which is the sole reason I sold the rod.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:45 am

amso4 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:16 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
Curious which CCT seat you chose, Blade or Razor? Also are you using an insert? I would consider this seat if the blank is exposed without a insert. I am using the Xray MB733 and MB736 blanks so the diameters are a little different.
I'm using the Razor with a bushido insert. I haven't started assembling because Mudhole sent me the wrong grips.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:46 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:13 am
HobeyBaker wrote:
Half ounce jigs may be the top limit for the SJ 736. I use that blank for Texas Rigs. The rod pitches well but, casts kinda odd. Super sensitive and easy to balance.
Sounds good to me. I use braid so it will likely fish more powerful.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:40 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:45 am
amso4 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:16 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
I'm using the Razor with a bushido insert. I haven't started assembling because Mudhole sent me the wrong grips.
Thanks. I am very interested in your build and final weight and balance. Are you putting guides on top or spiral?