Dream Jig Rod Build

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
User avatar
ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 658
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Dream Jig Rod Build

Post by ogrich31 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:35 am

goldrod wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:14 pm
What’s a slow spiral?
I guess it's not the proper term or anything, but I spiral my rods slower than most builders that I've seen. Most builders would probably agree that the line needs to be spiraled before the bend of the blank, but I don't feel that way for bass rods. For the boat rods that I build, I make sure my line is down before the bend though. Here's a pic of one of my spirals. Sorry, I don't have any other pics at the moment.

https://imgur.com/a/C8PBGag

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Dream Jig Rod Build

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:36 am

amso4 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:40 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:45 am
amso4 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:16 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:28 pm
I will be building up a 736 SJ X-Ray that I'm hoping to use for 1/2 oz jigs. I'm using the G2 carbon split grip with a CCT real seat and torzite guide train. The running guides will be a combination of size 5 and 4.5. I plan on epoxying the butt cap last and will add some tungsten if it doesn't balance right. I'm going to use a 20 Metanium XG for the reel.
Curious which CCT seat you chose, Blade or Razor? Also are you using an insert? I would consider this seat if the blank is exposed without a insert. I am using the Xray MB733 and MB736 blanks so the diameters are a little different.
I'm using the Razor with a bushido insert. I haven't started assembling because Mudhole sent me the wrong grips.
Thanks. I am very interested in your build and final weight and balance. Are you putting guides on top or spiral?
I'm going to use a traditional configuration. I'm a traditionalist and don't like the looks of spiral wraps.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4906
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Dream Jig Rod Build

Post by goldrod » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:04 am

ogrich31 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:35 am
goldrod wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:14 pm
What’s a slow spiral?
I guess it's not the proper term or anything, but I spiral my rods slower than most builders that I've seen. Most builders would probably agree that the line needs to be spiraled before the bend of the blank, but I don't feel that way for bass rods. For the boat rods that I build, I make sure my line is down before the bend though. Here's a pic of one of my spirals. Sorry, I don't have any other pics at the moment.

https://imgur.com/a/C8PBGag


Ok
Thanks for the picture.
THIS is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Instagram is @1ncetime

User avatar
rh_916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: Dream Jig Rod Build

Post by rh_916 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:39 pm

bbates3 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:02 pm
Just started this today. It should work out great for jigs

My son nicknamed it Batman bc is the jet black painted grip

Point Blank 731 Heavy Blank
Painted Matagi Acs grip
Cork butt and grip
Fuji Ti TorZite guides

Either kw10 to 5.5’s or Rv6 to 5.5’s will test both

Prob run the stripper guide at 19-20 inch out

10 1/8 inch grip length

Straight black thread wrap

Should finish a good bit under 4oz.

No weight or balance

ImageUntitled by , on Flickr


ImageUntitled by , on Flickr

Are those point blank true xtra fast blanks? Looking to test one of them xtra fast models out too.

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:34 am

Re: Dream Jig Rod Build

Post by bbates3 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:37 am

Here they are with 8oz of weight

ImageUntitled by benjie bates, on Flickr.



ImageUntitled by benjie bates, on Flickr

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Dream Jig Rod Build

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:59 pm

For some reason I didn't look at the ID for the CCT reel insert. The butt end of the rod is too wide for the reel seat to work. Now I need to find a blank to use with the reel seat (13.50 mm ID). I have an extra 5.0 tube size Torzite tip top. Any suggestions? It looks like the K2 7'6 Heavy would work. Does anyone have experience with this blank?

I ordered an ECSM reel seat, NFC carbon fiber soft touch split grip, HPS hood, and an EVA hood cover.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4906
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Dream Jig Rod Build

Post by goldrod » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:34 pm

The hardest thing for me is always the blank.
I started this thread to help me with ideas to my next build


I’m just stuck on the blank.
I know how I want my reel seat handle but I’d like some of those rose petals in the blank who makes that ?
THIS is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Instagram is @1ncetime

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4906
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Dream Jig Rod Build

Post by goldrod » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:37 pm

rh_916 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:39 pm
bbates3 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:02 pm
Just started this today. It should work out great for jigs

My son nicknamed it Batman bc is the jet black painted grip

Point Blank 731 Heavy Blank
Painted Matagi Acs grip
Cork butt and grip
Fuji Ti TorZite guides

Either kw10 to 5.5’s or Rv6 to 5.5’s will test both

Prob run the stripper guide at 19-20 inch out

10 1/8 inch grip length

Straight black thread wrap

Should finish a good bit under 4oz.

No weight or balance

ImageUntitled by , on Flickr


ImageUntitled by , on Flickr

Are those point blank true xtra fast blanks? Looking to test one of them xtra fast models out too.

Is there a disadvantage to having the stripper guide closer? By closer I’m thinking 12inches out especially if your going to run spiral guides
THIS is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Instagram is @1ncetime

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1830
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Location: san francisco east bay area

Re: Dream Jig Rod Build

Post by froteur » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:51 pm

My favorite jig rod is my Phenix K2 715. Spiral wrap, No idea what the guides are but they are micro. Gold windings. Phenix reel seat and reel nut. Some other Mitagi stuff.

My second favorite is my Phenix K2 765. Similar build but with a standard reel nut. Red windings.

Currently, the 765 has been the dedicated jig rod as I’ve been using the 715 for Vision 110’s, until I receive my Megabass Destroyer OneTen. I’ll make the 715 my jig rod again after that.

Ptharp2
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:53 am

Re: Dream Jig Rod Build

Post by Ptharp2 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:14 pm

ogrich31 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:34 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:33 pm
Phenix K2 736 blank
How do you like that blank? It's the only one I haven't played with. I've used all the other K2 blanks. The stand out for me is the 764 with 2" off the tip.

And to keep on topic..

Blank: K2 715
Length: 7'1"
Guides: Fuji Titanium SIC. LN 7, 6, KB 5, KT 5's to tip (KG torzite) slow spiral to the left
Thread color: Fuji Ultra Poly black size A
Handle material and type: Fuji ECS reel seat, full grip cork
Handle length: 12" from butt to bottom of reel seat
Balancing system: Matagi butt balancer

Not really a "dream" jig rod, but it's the best I've tried so far. My first one broke (my fault), and the replacement blank has been sitting on my rack, untouched for 2 years. I unfortunately don't have the time to build for myself these days with the amount of builds I take.
How does the 764 with two inches off the tip fish? I’ve been using the nfc xray sj736 with 2.25 inches off the tip for jigs but wanting something a little longer

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 6315
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Dream Jig Rod Build

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:49 pm

Ptharp2 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:14 pm
ogrich31 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:34 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:33 pm
Phenix K2 736 blank
How do you like that blank? It's the only one I haven't played with. I've used all the other K2 blanks. The stand out for me is the 764 with 2" off the tip.

And to keep on topic..

Blank: K2 715
Length: 7'1"
Guides: Fuji Titanium SIC. LN 7, 6, KB 5, KT 5's to tip (KG torzite) slow spiral to the left
Thread color: Fuji Ultra Poly black size A
Handle material and type: Fuji ECS reel seat, full grip cork
Handle length: 12" from butt to bottom of reel seat
Balancing system: Matagi butt balancer

Not really a "dream" jig rod, but it's the best I've tried so far. My first one broke (my fault), and the replacement blank has been sitting on my rack, untouched for 2 years. I unfortunately don't have the time to build for myself these days with the amount of builds I take.
How does the 764 with two inches off the tip fish? I’ve been using the nfc xray sj736 with 2.25 inches off the tip for jigs but wanting something a little longer
Hey! I know you :big grin:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4906
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Dream Jig Rod Build

Post by goldrod » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:50 pm

Ptharp2 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:14 pm
ogrich31 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:34 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:33 pm
Phenix K2 736 blank
How do you like that blank? It's the only one I haven't played with. I've used all the other K2 blanks. The stand out for me is the 764 with 2" off the tip.

And to keep on topic..

Blank: K2 715
Length: 7'1"
Guides: Fuji Titanium SIC. LN 7, 6, KB 5, KT 5's to tip (KG torzite) slow spiral to the left
Thread color: Fuji Ultra Poly black size A
Handle material and type: Fuji ECS reel seat, full grip cork
Handle length: 12" from butt to bottom of reel seat
Balancing system: Matagi butt balancer

Not really a "dream" jig rod, but it's the best I've tried so far. My first one broke (my fault), and the replacement blank has been sitting on my rack, untouched for 2 years. I unfortunately don't have the time to build for myself these days with the amount of builds I take.
How does the 764 with two inches off the tip fish? I’ve been using the nfc xray sj736 with 2.25 inches off the tip for jigs but wanting something a little longer
Under what circumstances would you want to take the tip of the blank off? Why only two?
THIS is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Instagram is @1ncetime

User avatar
ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 658
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Dream Jig Rod Build

Post by ogrich31 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:17 am

goldrod wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:50 pm
Under what circumstances would you want to take the tip of the blank off? Why only two?
To change the power or action. 2" off the butt won't make much difference imo, but it's definitely noticeable if taken from the tip. One thing I sometimes do is have my customer hold the blank like he's fishing. I'll hold the blank by the tip and move inch at a time until the customer likes how it feels. I should note that I prefer to not remove any material from the tip unless necessary. It's more common with the swimbait rods that I build compared to the bass rods.

Ptharp2 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:14 pm
How does the 764 with two inches off the tip fish? I’ve been using the nfc xray sj736 with 2.25 inches off the tip for jigs but wanting something a little longer
The 764 with 2" off the tip fishes amazing. The blank felt a little too sloppy for what I intended to use it for (weightless Senkos and ikas) so I took off 2" off the tip. I should note that that rod exploded into 4-5 pieces on a hookset. I've since then replaced it with a factory K2 765, which isn't as good but it's more versatile for my style. Didn't feel like building another one.

User avatar
ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 658
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Dream Jig Rod Build

Post by ogrich31 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:28 am

I also wouldn't use the 764 for jigs. It's more like a medium rod to me, but others have said it fishes like a ML/M. With 2" off the tip, I remember it being more like a M+. I haven't held or measured the SJ 736, but it's probably more powerful than the 764.

thatvoodoothatyoudo
Angler
Angler
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:01 am

bbates3

Post by thatvoodoothatyoudo » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:49 am

Interested in how your assessment of the PB 731MHXF build came out.

What’s your take on optimal lure weights and usage?

Thanks
JBP

Post Reply