Adding length to a rod

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Adding length to a rod

Post by Johnny A » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:50 am

I have an Evergreen Cobra TMJS-63MH, spinning rod. Would it be possible to lengthen the rod by:

1. Remove the current cork handle and reel seat.

2. Splinting 5” or so of rod blank onto the butt end

3. Moving the reel seat and handle down and rebuilding.

4. Any additional work.

OR

Would it be no cost effective?

Thanks!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Adding length to a rod

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:50 pm

CRB from Mudhole and Matagi both have handle systems built on carbon tubes. These can push the length out to roughly the entire blank length, minus 4". As long as the blank is mounted inside the tube to the point that it is all the way thru the reel seat, you will be fine. Of course, there is the time it would take to get the reel seat off, which would require you to VERY CAREFULLY cut the reel seat length-wise along 2 opposite edges, then heat it so the epoxy softens it enough to remove the 2 pieces of the seat. Boiling water is the best way to heat it without damaging the blank, and theres a certain art to heat it "just enough". I had a rodbuilder do this to a 6'3" Helium LTA casting rod a few years back and it ended up about 6-9. The rod was perfectly functional afterwards.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:35 pm

I’m trying to figure out what I want to do. I don’t have the skill or the willingness to learn to do rod work necessary. Thanks.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:17 am

In my opinion, you're better off just getting another rod that suits your needs. If you don't think you can do the work, and need to pay to have it done, I think you're money ahead finding a different rod. Not to mention the loss of any warranty you may have by doing this work.

Personally, adding that much to a blank would be a complete redo for me. I'd strip everything down, including the blank finish and start from scratch. And I'd really have to be in love with that rod blank.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:45 am

Mattman wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:17 am
In my opinion, you're better off just getting another rod that suits your needs. If you don't think you can do the work, and need to pay to have it done, I think you're money ahead finding a different rod. Not to mention the loss of any warranty you may have by doing this work.

Personally, adding that much to a blank would be a complete redo for me. I'd strip everything down, including the blank finish and start from scratch. And I'd really have to be in love with that rod blank.
Thanks for insights. I think some of it is a matter of not being able to find what I want. Some of it is not being able to move on to a new rod for new water. I don’t need to skip a finesse bait under a dock, limb or overhanging bush in less than 5’ of water. Those things went from 90% of my fishing to less than 10%. Now I’m fishing relatively clear water, generally free of obstructions, in water starting at depths greater than 5’. The Spin Cobra was excellent for the former, not so great at the latter.
This is really helping me focus on what I should be looking for.