American Tackle Components

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

American Tackle Components

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:43 am

Any one try out any of these newer seats and grips and have any opinions on them? I see a few very nice looking rods on here that were built with these products, but not many reviews of the products.

How do the reel seats feel? Do you feel any edges or anything that’s uncomfortable about them? Looking at the Blade and the Razor.

The insert in the reel seat doesn’t make much sense to me, but I’ve never tried one so I could be completely wrong. The marketing speaks of ultimate sensitivity through these seats, but I’d think fingers directly on the blank would be more sensitive. How do you feel these seats measure up on sensitivity?

Their carbon grips look amazing, but worried they may feel slippery when wet. How much grip do these grips provide? Weight wise, how do these compare to cork or EVA. Have heard they are heavier than other Carbon Grips but never seen them compared to Regular grip materials. If there’s something better on the market, I’d appreciate the advice. Hate to strip a rod down and rebuild only to find these components won’t work for me. Thanks for any info you can provide!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: American Tackle Components

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:55 pm

Carbon grips are pretty slick - not much tact. I was going to try one for my next build, but was made aware they are slippery with little tactile grip. Ordered the new NFC 2.0 instead. These are a little softer with some good grip. I think I'm gonna try one of the Edge reel seats. I think the sensitivity claim is based on the reel seat material. Common sense tells us that if we put something between the reel seat and blank, it's probably not going to be better than blank exposure. They do look good though. I have a buddy who has started using the blade and razor pretty much exclusively. He says they are really comfortable, as much as the Fuji ECS.

Westcoast
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Westcoast » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:09 pm

I have pretty much switched over to the razor seat. I find it very light , comfortable and looks good on the rod. I’ve used both the nfc and At grips both are great but a slight edge in grippiness goes to the nfc. As said it’s a slightly softer surface. But with either of them, I’ve had no problem with slipping in my hand.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:34 am

Thank you for the responses and PMs! Been doing my research and this info is very much appreciated. These components are so new that’s there’s not much info out there. Rod building is so much fun, but can be difficult to know what you are getting. Went ahead and ordered some grips from Forecast and NFC to see which feels better and hopefully match up to a Minima seat. Really wanted to take a drive over to The Rod Room so I could put my hands on some grips, but unfortunately Gulf Shores/Orange Beach got hit hard by Sally.

Right now I’m looking at using one of those those grips, customized Minima seat, hidden thread Fuji hood cut down to accept a Fuji Perfect fit or Forecast carbon hood sleeve that will be cut down/shortened as well, and capped off with a custom painted Perfect Fit cap. Sound doable? Already stripped down one Conquest 842 and eagerly waiting some components to arrive.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:43 pm

New carbon grips are ok. Good looking, quite light (without own winding checks). I've built several. Full and split grips. Very easy to assemble as theres own arbor inside grip already. They are slippery, if you have slimy hands. Only water doesn't make it very slippery.

New CCT seat are awesome! Razor and Blade mostly for casting purposes. Blade is lightest casting seat on market if you dont need to use insert. It's lighter than Fuji SK and have nice blank contact. Blade is my new favorite.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:44 pm

Here's with AT carbon grips.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:03 pm

MardukFIN wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:43 pm
New carbon grips are ok. Good looking, quite light (without own winding checks). I've built several. Full and split grips. Very easy to assemble as theres own arbor inside grip already. They are slippery, if you have slimy hands. Only water doesn't make it very slippery.

New CCT seat are awesome! Razor and Blade mostly for casting purposes. Blade is lightest casting seat on market if you dont need to use insert. It's lighter than Fuji SK and have nice blank contact. Blade is my new favorite.

Those look great! Grips and seats look very clean. Your rods are the ones that made me curious about these. Appreciate the response! Wish they sold grips individually so I could buy a cheap one to get my hands on. Hate to spend $30+ on something I might not use, but I might on my next rebuild. Had to order a Razor though to see if I like it, they really look and sound awesome.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:00 pm

I like the potential blank access with the blade and razor, but Fuji Acs comes to mind, minus the under carriage. The Acs is kinda small, and I have small hands. It causes my hand to cramp after time, so I wonder if these may as well. Also not a fan of split reel seats for the same reason.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:35 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:03 pm
MardukFIN wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:43 pm

Those look great! Grips and seats look very clean. Your rods are the ones that made me curious about these. Appreciate the response! Wish they sold grips individually so I could buy a cheap one to get my hands on. Hate to spend $30+ on something I might not use, but I might on my next rebuild. Had to order a Razor though to see if I like it, they really look and sound awesome.
Btw, these are CFX grips.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:05 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:00 pm
I like the potential blank access with the blade and razor, but Fuji Acs comes to mind, minus the under carriage. The Acs is kinda small, and I have small hands. It causes my hand to cramp after time, so I wonder if these may as well. Also not a fan of split reel seats for the same reason.
Hey Hog, do you mean that the trigger seams to far forward on those seats? Trying to figure out what you mean by small. Unfortunately the seat was on backorder so it will have to wait for my next build. Thanks!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:44 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:05 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:00 pm
Hey Hog, do you mean that the trigger seams to far forward on those seats? Trying to figure out what you mean by small. Unfortunately the seat was on backorder so it will have to wait for my next build. Thanks!
The width of the Acs reel seat is a little too thin. I have to squeeze more tightly, causing my hand to eventually cramp. The Ecs is just right, and the Pts has some additional width - I call them wings - and it's a little too wide for my small hand.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:10 pm

Slight change of topic but has anyone used ATC guides. Specifically the Tiforged. Was looking at there titanium nanolite
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

NorCoMike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NorCoMike » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:22 am

Using some Tiforged guides on an ultralight rod build right now. They seem nice but i will know more when i get the build completed and fished a little. I went with tiforged with their new pentalite rings.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:30 am

These things look :big grin:

I broke my custom, so when I get to another I may try this setup in matte

https://www.americantackle.us/g2-tsuka