NFC X-ray 6100-1 DSR

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: NFC X-ray 6100-1 DSR

Post by amso4 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:10 am

If I have a tight winging check, I pull out the Dremel tool with a small bit and wallow it out a little. It can make all the difference.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:18 am

amso4 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:10 am
If I have a tight winging check, I pull out the Dremel tool with a small bit and wallow it out a little. It can make all the difference.
Yeah, I thought about trying something like that... maybe next time. Of course, knowing me, I'd end up taking off my finger prints or something :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:23 pm

Try some dish soap. No guarantee but has worked for me in the past trying to get tight fitting checks over the label wraps on factory rebuilds.

nvbroncrider
Angler
Angler

Post by nvbroncrider » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:47 pm

Cal wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:18 am
amso4 wrote:
Yeah, I thought about trying something like that... maybe next time. Of course, knowing me, I'd end up taking off my finger prints or something :lol:

I got WC from 8-15mm just order 5 of each and figure it out. Nothing more nerve wracking then being short a WC. What reel seat did you use Cal?

The PTS series is my favorite thinking that rod would look really good with the PMTS since it will be finesse. For my heavy duty rods been using the PULS it is the absolute most comfortable seat for palming. Even better than the PTS. Those are the only casting seats I will build on.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:07 am

nvbroncrider wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:47 pm
I got WC from 8-15mm just order 5 of each and figure it out. Nothing more nerve wracking then being short a WC. What reel seat did you use Cal?

The PTS series is my favorite thinking that rod would look really good with the PMTS since it will be finesse. For my heavy duty rods been using the PULS it is the absolute most comfortable seat for palming. Even better than the PTS. Those are the only casting seats I will build on.
LOL ... I'm trying to not have a stock pile of parts because if I do that, this little side hobby will never end :lol: ... but that is a sound strategy.

I'm using the Fuji SKSS Split Spinning reel seat for a super minimal build. Here's a photo of the handle on the XRay 722-1 I built out. The 6100 and Point Blank will all have the same non-handle handle design. My goal was to make it feel as if I'm fishing the bare blank. Guide train is similar to NRX with mix Ti/SiC & Recoils.
DSC06930.jpg
DSC06930.jpg (43.5 KiB) Viewed 4733 times
Cal, Managing Editor

nvbroncrider
Angler
Angler

Post by nvbroncrider » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:55 am

Cal wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:07 am
nvbroncrider wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:47 pm

LOL ... I'm trying to not have a stock pile of parts because if I do that, this little side hobby will never end :lol: ... but that is a sound strategy.

I'm using the Fuji SKSS Split Spinning reel seat for a super minimal build. Here's a photo of the handle on the XRay 722-1 I built out. The 6100 and Point Blank will all have the same non-handle handle design. My goal was to make it feel as if I'm fishing the bare blank. Guide train is similar to NRX with mix Ti/SiC & Recoils.

DSC06930.jpg
The dark side is strong in this one!!! I got a spinning rod drying now as we speak. A NFC Neo 765 5/8-2 oz. It should be an awesome Pyramid Lake rod. Torzite guides the works. For a friend of mine. Caught his PB yesterday on a 842 I built a 17lb 11oz Cuttthroat.

I've got my 722 built just like that but its a spinning rod with TI/Sic and recoils with a 16TVS it's pretty nice. I played with some Split seats and might be a touch lighter but definitely not as stable as like the TVS or PTS.

Worse part about building is trying to make everything fit. Being one part short here or there. If you learn what works together makes it so much easier. Winding checks are always a killer. When your playing with the seat trying to set balance and all you end up a little off from what you imagine then it's time to get a size bigger or smaller check. My first few took 4 orders to get them right. So having a full supply of different size checks make it a lot less painful.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:37 pm

Cal wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:18 am
amso4 wrote:
That would open up a whole new world of opportunities for you 🤔 - lol

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:17 am

amso4 wrote:
Well... as my package sits in Olathe, Kansas since the 19th... originally shipping on the 11th mind you, I've grown tired of waiting, so I took the tight winding check to the vice and dremel this morning. Got it to fit with some light scratches on the blank that I'm going to cover up with epoxy anyway, so thanks for the suggestion. =D>

Would have saved myself the angst if I did that to begin with. ](*,)

Mudhole shipped it with a USPS tracking number, but it's actually in FedEx's system. Weird.
Cal, Managing Editor

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:29 am

Where there is a will, There is a way.

Cal, glad you got it done safely. As you likely found out, it's not dangerous with a grinding stone if you are carefull. The biggest risk is having the check go flying and loosing it.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:41 am

Yes! I stopped to check the vice several times 😂😂
Cal, Managing Editor

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:35 am

I started another topic, a few days back on the PB701LXF blank & build so as not to hi-jack this thread though I kinda sorta did that already. Sorry about that :lol: ... the summation of my comparison between the Point Blank and X-Ray can be found at the end though... here's the direct link just in case:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=85577
Cal, Managing Editor

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:59 pm

Well I finally got all the parts in from matagi and I got the handle all glued up on the first rod. I was going to wrap the guides and finish them tomorrow but I forgot to add metallic thread in my last order. So I had to place an order for that and now I have to wait on that to come in :whistle: ](*,)

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:17 pm

Oh I almost forgot, I also placed an order for a spinning reel to match this rod. I don’t need another reel but I guess that’s what being an enthusiast is all about. I’ll post pictures once the rod is finished and the reel is mounted :D

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:57 pm

ugh... hope the additional thread comes quickly
Cal, Managing Editor

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:00 am

Well I got the thread in yesterday and wrapped up a few guides. But it ended up not being the right color match. So I’m going to head to my local craft store and pick up some metallic thread that will hopefully match better. Either way I’m going to finish up the rod today and will have pictures posted by tomorrow :)