Point Blank frog rod

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Point Blank frog rod

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:51 am

Looking for opinions on the best frog rod in the PB lineup. Looking for something in the 7’-7’2” range that’s on the moderate side of fast and not a super powerful rod. Will also use for lipless in the winter and early spring. Currently using the Cumara 7’ H/mf and it does a great job but time for something new.

Blanks I’m looking at:
7’ MH(based on power ratings shared on here, no idea about the action)
7’3” H/XF(unsure of action and power, definitely don’t want true XF, would cut down a few inches)
7’6” MH/F and 7’6” H/F(these would be cut down 4-5”, which should make them more moderate, not sure of actual power and action though)

Please me know what you would be looking at based on these requirements, and any info(power, action, weight) that would be helpful. Thanks!

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Point Blank frog rod

Post by Angler JO » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:58 am

PB731HXF

“The blank for all of your bait-casting heavy cover bass baits. Whether it be swim jigs in grass, a frog back under a bush, or a low-cover flipping rod. This blank handles it and is so light it feels unreal.” – Kyle Welcher, BASS ELITE Pro Angler
Angler's Resource

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:47 am

How’s the action on that blank? Definitely not looking for a stiff rod, and swim jigs in the description lead me to believe it will have that traditional hinged XF tip, as well as all the love for it as a jig rod. I’ve seen all the numbers and marketing descriptions, looking for more hands on experiences. Probably drive over to The Rod Room to check them out before purchase anyways.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:01 am

I just finished a PB 7 6" MHF. Wow am I impressed with this blank. Not fast like the NFC blanks like MB736 or the SJ736. The label say XF on the PB, but it is much more moderate, which I like. I haven't fished the rod yet, but my driveway drag test for sensitivity has this rod feeling downright "buzzy!" This PB is a very impressive blank.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:24 am

I don’t have any point blank longer than 7’ but 3 that are also labeled XF (the 69ers) and 7’ in ML, M and MH. None of them is a classic XF as you expect from Loomis or MHX blanks. I’d be surprised if the 7’3s would be any different. But maybe let’s wait on someone who owns one to chime in.

Until then, here’s a pic of both the 691MHXF and 701MHF (pushed back the 7’ so they were both the same length without load) with 560g hanging on both tips. I’d say the difference is minimal - the 7’ MHF is more like the same blank as the 6’9 MHXF but with more length in the butt, than a different animal. All of my point blanks have a similar curve to this. Only the M powers have a tad flatter tip angle. But it still feels like the same type of action. I believe this is what you get across the board with point blank, but again just an assumption based on the ones I own.
4D1C25F3-729E-47AE-A1CB-747FAD72BA56.jpeg
4D1C25F3-729E-47AE-A1CB-747FAD72BA56.jpeg (35.98 KiB) Viewed 3415 times
Can’t tell you if it’s any good for frogging, we don’t really do that in Germany. But I can say that the tip is significantly softer than let’s say a H power 7’2 Zodias which has a similar RDA power rating. So the tip is more like MH, the backbone H. Maybe that helps

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:57 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:51 am
Looking for something in the 7’-7’2” range that’s on the moderate side of fast

That blank doesn't exist. Nothing in the Point Blank lineup is on the moderate side of fast. Obviously, this is all subject to interpretation because "Fast" has no real definition. But, Point Blank, overall, has some of the faster actions available. They label their 761XXHMF as Mod-Fast but its still 63° on the measuring board. Their slowest blank is 62°. I need to be in the 50's to start talking mod-fast.

Don't get me wrong, I love Point Blank, but if you want mod-fast and that's a make-or-break criteria, I don't feel it exists from this company.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:01 pm

You have a bit of a conundrum because there just aren't many moderate high end blanks for what you want. Maybe the Phenix K2 714 would work for you? I only have the Phenix K2 715, and it is pretty heavy. All of my Point Blank rods load up really nicely with treble hook baits because the transition all of the way down from the tip is ultra smooth. They don't have a scrim that stiffens up the transition, like other blanks. I even use my 761HF for lipless baits and deep cranks when I need another rod beyond my two Phenix X-13's because it loads up so smooth. The tip will come back much quicker than a glass rod though. I would cut 1.5 inches off of the 731HXF if I had to have a rod the exact length that you want for the applications that you intend to use it for. It should walk a 55 size frog with 50 lb. braid well and also be an acceptable lipless rod. But, I don't like moderate rods for anything other than cranks.

mobass11652
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mobass11652 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:45 pm

If you want a high end moderate, they do have a moderate in the 7’6” that might work on heavier frogs but it’s pretty stout. The only other high end blank in a moderate I know of would be the NFC HM MB 09’s.