Picture Request

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
trav
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Picture Request

Post by trav » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:32 pm

Hope everyone is doing well. I’m post this asking a favor from anyone who is willing to help. I’d like to see a picture of a blank, from a 30/70 Megabass 2 piece rod, that splits just in front of the reel seat. If it’s possible, I’d like to see the blank wall diameter.

The reason behind this strange request is that I’m currently attempting to build a rod in similar fashion. The jointed butt kid I have came with a ferrel that’s roughly 4 1/2 inches, that it says to glue a blank into. Though it sounds like it should be plenty strong, finding a mod-fast blank rated to 3-4oz that’s only 12mm in diameter, 7ft from the tip is not going to be easy. My idea is to skip the ferrel, modify a blank that’s the same diameter as the ferrel, and re-enforce the modified part of the blank with some carbon fiber mat and epoxy. Has anyone done this before that wouldn’t mind sharing the experience?