Ultimate frog blank

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Ultimate frog blank

Post by NOLRAMB » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:09 am

Hey guys, looking for recommendations on a ideal Frog rod blank, dedicated frog blank only im not interested in a double duty blank.

Clearlake and Delta waters will be primarily where it will be used.

Thanks.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Ultimate frog blank

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:26 am

First, a few questions to help zero in....Do you prefer a longer or shorter rod? I love my 6-10 rod, as its much easier to walk a frog with.
Also, will you primarily be fishing thick mats or more sparse cover? I'm assuming thick cover, since you're fishing the Delta.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:48 am

6ft10 to 7ft is ideal, but 7ft3 would work.

Most of the cover is Moderate type mats I fish more of what you would encounter at Clearlake.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:42 pm

This may sound like a strange recommendation, but the MHX Elite Pro blanks are nice and light, with quick tips and nice, solid backbones. The 6'10" heavy would do nicely, I think, especially if you are gonna build it.
https://www.fishmhx.com/collections/eli ... ps82hf-mhx
Another blank that has a hair more power is the Phenix UMBX 7' XH(fishes as a H power).
https://getbitoutdoors.com/phenix-umbx-700xh-b
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:39 am

Great, thanks for the recommendation, I'm gonna go with the Phenix blank.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:58 pm

There are a ton of factors that go into choosing the ultimate frog rod. How big are you? Bigger guys can get away with throwing longer/heavier setups all day. I don't have lumberjack hands and forearms, so I like a lighter setup. You want enough rod to get the fish out, but smaller guys will get better/quicker hooksets with lighter/shorter rods. What size frogs/line do you like to throw? You are going to want a heavier rod/line for cheese/mat fishing vs. more open water/edge fishing. Clear Lake and the Delta have both. I throw mostly 65 size frogs. You will want a lighter spool on your reel for the 55 size frogs, and maybe a lighter action rod than for the bigger frogs.
My Phenix K2 715 (7'1" Heavy Mod Fast) that I have showed on a few recent posts has a heavy action, but the lighter weight high end blank is much more comfortable to throw all day. A minimalist build also helps. I have several of the MHX Elite 874 blank builds (7'3" Heavy Fast) that I use for many things, but the extra weight and length would cause me to ditch the frog a couple of hours in on Clear Lake or the Delta. I've been throwing the frog a lot more this year because I have been throwing a little lighter reel also (SV103 now vs TD Zillion in the past). I caught a 6 on the Sprinker last night in heavy grass without the fish ever getting the upper hand on me with the bit lighter setup.
I am going to try to build a MHX Elite 844 blank this year. I have several of the Loomis MBR 844's that they are modeled after. They are good frog rods also, but the K2 has the the it factor for me.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:58 pm

NOLRAMB wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:39 am
Which one?

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:14 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:58 pm
NOLRAMB wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:39 am
Which one?
The
Phenix UMBX 7' XH