Advice On Equipment

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Advice On Equipment

Post by triple_illusion » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:30 am

Hey TT Gang,

I am looking to purchase rod building equipment to begin a new adventure, I have done a little bit of looking around but wanted to ask for those of you who have done this for a while to chime in on what wrapping equipment you guys like to use and why. I am looking to go all in and get the best, I only need to build and dry 1 rod at a time, so I won't be needing anything geared towards high volume, but other than that I want quality.

*Picture added for some flavor :lol:

Appreciate any and all feedback, thanks yall!
FiSh_FoR_tHe_StArS

MikeK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Advice On Equipment

Post by MikeK » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:38 am

Renzetti lathe: power wrap, hand wrap, shape grips, quality chuck jaws, chuck can be locked in place, excellent threat carriage and tension system, thread feeds from back.

CRB dryer: 9 or 18 rpm with rubber chuck, wire chuck and maybe rubber chuck with slip clutch.

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:08 am

MikeK wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:38 am
Renzetti lathe: power wrap, hand wrap, shape grips, quality chuck jaws, chuck can be locked in place, excellent threat carriage and tension system, thread feeds from back.

CRB dryer: 9 or 18 rpm with rubber chuck, wire chuck and maybe rubber chuck with slip clutch.
I will check those out, thank you!!
FiSh_FoR_tHe_StArS

Ryan808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ryan808 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:23 am

CPW wrapper is worth looking into.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:41 pm

I've always wanted to build my own rod but I know absolutely nothing. Where do i learn from scratch? Much like triple illusion, one day, my dream is to build a rod of the highest quality but there's much to learn.

MikeK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MikeK » Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:53 am

Chode wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:41 pm
I've always wanted to build my own rod but I know absolutely nothing. Where do i learn from scratch? Much like triple illusion, one day, my dream is to build a rod of the highest quality but there's much to learn.
Take a look at Mud Hole classes, online or in person.

The basic rod will not be "the highest quality" but the process is solid and you get a lot of the basic equipment that makes starting easier.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:55 am

MikeK wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:53 am
Chode wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:41 pm
Take a look at Mud Hole classes, online or in person.

The basic rod will not be "the highest quality" but the process is solid and you get a lot of the basic equipment that makes starting easier.
will do thank u

Oktayne the Red
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Oktayne the Red » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:35 am

Maybe a little late, but I'll add to the Renzetti suggestions. If you're truly all in and budget-free, there really is no competition. I had one years ago, like late 80s maybe. It was one of the last ones sold under the Clemons name. I foolishly sold it at some point, huge regret. A work of machining art. Renzetti knows their stuff. I'm making the assumption that the quality is still there.

A VERY distant second would be the ALPS setup. A buddy has one and I've built a couple rods on it. It's a good setup, it just doesn't have the "no corners cut" fit and finish of the Renzetti.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:39 am

Oktayne the Red wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:35 am
Maybe a little late, but I'll add to the Renzetti suggestions. If you're truly all in and budget-free, there really is no competition.
Whew... just looked up the Renzetti Rod Lathe.. boy have I been slumming it :lol: :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"