Spiral Wrap Guide Question

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Spiral Wrap Guide Question

Post by goldrod » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:37 pm

My two production rods differ from my custom rods in the guide train even though they are both on the left side

how does the placement of the first three guides from the reel affect casting and how do you know how far to cant the side guide from the first which is at 1200..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Spiral Wrap Guide Question

Post by Mattman » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:36 am

There are several ways to spiral wrap rods. From the extreme of having only one guide that is not on the 0° axis or the 180° axis, all the way to using four guides not on the 0° axis or the 180° axis. I have even see the first guide closest to the reel offset in the OPPOSITE direction of the spiral.

Personally, I prefer a more gradual transition and I set up trying to shoot as straight of a path from the center of the reel spool to the tip of the rod with the line touching the guide predominantly at the bottom of the guide. Roughly 20°, 80°, 130°, 170°. The "Roberts Wrap" technique is where I started out at and have slightly modified to suit my desires.

I've seen complaints about an offset first guide making line stack heavy to one side. I've never been able to make that happen though. I've even seen someone make that complaint, sell the rod, and then the guy that bought the rod said it didn't stack line. I tend to believe now that is more the function of the reel than the rod. Or, if it truly is the rod, the builder did a poor job in guide layout.

Check out the sticky thread at the top of the forum.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:27 am

I make it 45-90-135-180 degrees. Usually 1st guide ~50-55cm from level wind. Then approx 30-25-20cm, depending length of blank. Never have been issues of stacking line in other side of the spool.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:38 am

Mattman wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:36 am
There are several ways to spiral wrap rods. From the extreme of having only one guide that is not on the 0° axis or the 180° axis, all the way to using four guides not on the 0° axis or the 180° axis. I have even see the first guide closest to the reel offset in the OPPOSITE direction of the spiral.

Personally, I prefer a more gradual transition and I set up trying to shoot as straight of a path from the center of the reel spool to the tip of the rod with the line touching the guide predominantly at the bottom of the guide. Roughly 20°, 80°, 130°, 170°. The "Roberts Wrap" technique is where I started out at and have slightly modified to suit my desires.

I've seen complaints about an offset first guide making line stack heavy to one side. I've never been able to make that happen though. I've even seen someone make that complaint, sell the rod, and then the guy that bought the rod said it didn't stack line. I tend to believe now that is more the function of the reel than the rod. Or, if it truly is the rod, the builder did a poor job in guide layout.

Check out the sticky thread at the top of the forum.

Check your email please
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible