Tip-Top Size

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Tip-Top Size

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:46 am

Howdy all. I have a 7'3" 5-powered Kistler Z Bone casting rod with a crushed tip-top. The blank seems to be OK. My question is, what size replacement tip-top should I buy?

Thanks kindly in advance.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Tip-Top Size

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:56 am

The tube size is either 6.5 or 7. The rings size depends. Is it a micro or macro tip?
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:09 pm

Thank you! Micro I believe.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:59 pm

If you have calipers, just measure the diameter of the blank to verify tube size and then measure the outside diameter of the ring insert to get the ring size... if they're micros, it's probably something like a 5 or 5.5
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:13 pm

Thanks kindly. 8-)

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:40 pm

Gone Phishin wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:09 pm
If they are the Fuji Guide train and micro, it's almost certainly a 4.5 ring. The macro(semi-micro) guide set has a 5.5 ring. You could always do the equivalent tube size with a slightly larger #6 ring, if you have ever thought about braid + leader. The tip is where it catches most often, so I've done that swap with a few of my micro guide rods, so that the leader knots pass easier. Btw, tip top tube size is measured in x/⁶⁴ inches by every guide manufacturer, so a #6 tube would be 6/64. There are charts online to give a translation to the equivalent tube size.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:40 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:40 pm
Gone Phishin wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:09 pm
If they are the Fuji Guide train and micro, it's almost certainly a 4.5 ring. The macro(semi-micro) guide set has a 5.5 ring. You could always do the equivalent tube size with a slightly larger #6 ring, if you have ever thought about braid + leader. The tip is where it catches most often, so I've done that swap with a few of my micro guide rods, so that the leader knots pass easier. Btw, tip top tube size is measured in x/⁶⁴ inches by every guide manufacturer, so a #6 tube would be 6/64. There are charts online to give a translation to the equivalent tube size.
Right on, great stuff. Thank you.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:16 am

Buy one of these
https://mudhole.com/products/crb-tip-to ... ab06&_ss=r
to have around if you are a serious fisherman with many rods. You will eventually have an insert crack or you will break the tip of a blank. I would also keep a few spare tip tops and tip glue in the boat if you have one. Everyone should also have a set of calipers for measuring all of the various things sporting related. The digital ones can be had for only about $10.