Point Blank 701LXF - Project “Vader”

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
dennis_rf
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:57 pm
Location: Germany

Point Blank 701LXF - Project “Vader”

Post by dennis_rf » Wed May 11, 2022 1:18 pm

Built this for a friend who is a Metallica fan as you might notice from the graphics.

Aggressive, minimal and black aesthetics.
Airbrushed the blank matte black until the first guide and used stencils to airbrush the logos. All polyurethane industrial paint so it doesn’t need a topcoat. (Same as I used for my alphas)
Reel seat is sitting on sanded to exactly fit the blank carbon tubes for maximum sensitivity.

sinned - that’s me, Dennis reversed

Other than that…
Torzite guides
Comes in right at 100g

Find attached my TT RoD measurements of this blank and the 701MLF Point Blank

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Attachments
6ACB6E9B-0E11-4AED-86C5-C16654BC1EF9.jpeg
6ACB6E9B-0E11-4AED-86C5-C16654BC1EF9.jpeg (33.74 KiB) Viewed 1923 times

User avatar
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12497
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: TT Headquarters
Contact:

Re: Point Blank 701LXF - Project “Vader”

Post by Cal » Wed May 11, 2022 1:55 pm

Nice looking build! =D>
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 6867
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Point Blank 701LXF - Project “Vader”

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed May 11, 2022 1:57 pm

Oh heck yes! He needs another Seek and Destroy rod now. How fitting 🤘

Lefty372
Angler
Angler
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:54 am

Re: Point Blank 701LXF - Project “Vader”

Post by Lefty372 » Wed May 11, 2022 3:10 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 1:57 pm
Oh heck yes! He needs another Seek and Destroy rod now. How fitting 🤘
I'm thinking Ride the Lightning. But that's a damn sexy looking rod.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2031
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Point Blank 701LXF - Project “Vader”

Post by toddmc » Wed May 11, 2022 5:10 pm

I have several black and silver Point Blank builds that have some similarities. That is very pure! It would be nice to be able to get those blanks right now. I need a few more.

Polkfish1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 777
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: Point Blank 701LXF - Project “Vader”

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed May 11, 2022 6:12 pm

Wow. This is marvelous. Your friend is lucky to know you. I’d love a “Thing that should not be.”

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 6446
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Point Blank 701LXF - Project “Vader”

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed May 11, 2022 8:00 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 6:12 pm
Wow. This is marvelous. Your friend is lucky to know you. I’d love a “Thing that should not be.”
Or a "Damage Inc."-themed flipping stick.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

dennis_rf
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:57 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Point Blank 701LXF - Project “Vader”

Post by dennis_rf » Thu May 12, 2022 6:23 am

Thanks for the compliments

Those names are hilarious and ingenious, love the ideas. We should come up with a tackle tour members brainstormed line of rods :D

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: Point Blank 701LXF - Project “Vader”

Post by sarcazmo » Fri May 13, 2022 10:01 am

I'm just about ready to put some guides on my PB761HM. IMO this is a special blank.

Man, the more I build on these blanks the more I like 'em!

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 6867
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Point Blank 701LXF - Project “Vader”

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri May 13, 2022 1:33 pm

sarcazmo wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 10:01 am
I'm just about ready to put some guides on my PB761HM. IMO this is a special blank.

Man, the more I build on these blanks the more I like 'em!
How would you say they compare to the new Eternity blanks?

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: Okinawa, Japan

Re: Point Blank 701LXF - Project “Vader”

Post by Kimbro1014 » Fri May 13, 2022 2:06 pm

That’s a beautiful rod Dennis! =D>

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: Point Blank 701LXF - Project “Vader”

Post by sarcazmo » Fri May 13, 2022 7:53 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:33 pm
sarcazmo wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 10:01 am
I'm just about ready to put some guides on my PB761HM. IMO this is a special blank.

Man, the more I build on these blanks the more I like 'em!
How would you say they compare to the new Eternity blanks?
I need to get a little more time with the new eternitys, but they are so far outstanding.

TBH at this point, most of the top end blanks are so similar, I usually end up trying to pick stuff up when it goes on sale. For example, x-ray blanks are on sale right now for 75 bucks... I don't think there's a better value out there than them.

I will say the 761HM is absolutely perfect for my preferences. I love the action of the blank.

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 6867
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Point Blank 701LXF - Project “Vader”

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri May 13, 2022 9:50 pm

sarcazmo wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 7:53 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:33 pm
sarcazmo wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 10:01 am
I'm just about ready to put some guides on my PB761HM. IMO this is a special blank.

Man, the more I build on these blanks the more I like 'em!
How would you say they compare to the new Eternity blanks?
I need to get a little more time with the new eternitys, but they are so far outstanding.

TBH at this point, most of the top end blanks are so similar, I usually end up trying to pick stuff up when it goes on sale. For example, x-ray blanks are on sale right now for 75 bucks... I don't think there's a better value out there than them.

I will say the 761HM is absolutely perfect for my preferences. I love the action of the blank.
Yeah, it pretty much barrels down to finding the right blank for the task - taper and power.

dennis_rf
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:57 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Point Blank 701LXF - Project “Vader”

Post by dennis_rf » Sat May 14, 2022 1:15 am

I can only judge from the RX10 ETES610MXF I got at home… as already said in the other thread I’m not impressed at all. Weight is great, balance is ok but still it doesn’t feel as crisp, floaty and sharp as my Point Blanks or other high end rods like NRX+. For that little power it should feel like a BFS Adrena when you whip it - as if it had no mass to accelerate. Should…
I have the same criticism with NFC blanks like the XRay SJ703, too, but haven’t handled a lot more of those (some 705IM/HM). Is that maybe less of a factor with long heavier rods as they’re all… heavy?

I‘m quite torn if I give the RX10s another chance. An actual power below the lightest Point Blank with still some backbone is still missing. Was I just unlucky with picking the ETES610MXF?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5920
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Point Blank 701LXF - Project “Vader”

Post by goldrod » Sat May 14, 2022 6:27 am

dennis_rf wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 1:18 pm
Built this for a friend who is a Metallica fan as you might notice from the graphics.

Aggressive, minimal and black aesthetics.
Airbrushed the blank matte black until the first guide and used stencils to airbrush the logos. All polyurethane industrial paint so it doesn’t need a topcoat. (Same as I used for my alphas)
Reel seat is sitting on sanded to exactly fit the blank carbon tubes for maximum sensitivity.

sinned - that’s me, Dennis reversed

Other than that…
Torzite guides
Comes in right at 100g

Find attached my TT RoD measurements of this blank and the 701MLF Point Blank

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Awesome build when are you taking orders !
I’m sure you’ll get some request with a build like this
That build is amazing
THIS is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Instagram is @1ncetime

Post Reply