Ferrules

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Ferrules

Post by Drakestar » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:11 pm

I'm looking to join a rod that broke near the middle of the blank (it got smashed into on a cast). Can anybody educate me on what kinds of ferrules are available to do this? I don't expect the rod to fish close to what it once did after it's been joined back together, but I'd like to do this as well as possible. I searched MudHole for ferrules and saw a couple of options, but I'm not sure if those are all that great (brass ones for two dollars per piece).

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Ferrules

Post by Mattman » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:20 am

Personally, I've not been able to find a retail ferrule that I was happy with. Although I admit I stopped looking years ago.

I build all my own oversleeve ferrules. I've found spigot ferrules to be very difficult to pull off. Oversleeve ferrules seem to be much more forgiving. At least in my experience. Its pretty much the same process as doing an oversleeve blank repair except one end is not a fixed and bonded. All you need is some good quality fiberglass blank stock and your standard rod building supplies.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:15 pm

Mattman wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:20 am
Personally, I've not been able to find a retail ferrule that I was happy with. Although I admit I stopped looking years ago.

I build all my own oversleeve ferrules. I've found spigot ferrules to be very difficult to pull off. Oversleeve ferrules seem to be much more forgiving. At least in my experience. Its pretty much the same process as doing an oversleeve blank repair except one end is not a fixed and bonded. All you need is some good quality fiberglass blank stock and your standard rod building supplies.
Thanks for the information! I'm not particularly set on the type of ferrule to use and oversleeve would be fine. I'm trying to figure out where to get the materials, though. Any tips on where I would source that fiberglass stock? I have a couple old broken rods here I could use, but I'd love better options (and buying a whole blank sounds wasteful).

This is going to be a bit of an experiment because I've never repaired a rod like this. I'm comfortable enough with doing the actual work, but if I only get one shot at this I'd rather gather as much information as possible beforehand. (For example. I watched a YT video where somebody used a nail to connect the rod, but that felt... "not optimal", I guess?)

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:41 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:15 pm
Any tips on where I would source that fiberglass stock?

I've gotten lucky before and bought some closeout blanks for dirt cheap. I've had a good relationship with a CS agent at a supply place and they've hooked me up. And, I've bought full price blanks that I knew would do the job.
Matt Davis

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:50 pm

Alright, thanks. I started making an inside connection piece using an older broken rod (a mysterious "IM10" blank) once I realized that with a two-part rod (it's a Poison Glorious that connects at the handle) I could slide in the ferrule from the bottom, and things look pretty good to me. I figure I'll glue the ferrule to the upper part, sand it down a tiny bit at the connection and then put threading and epoxy over the top to finish it up.

One more question: any suggestion on how to glue ferrule and blank? Super glue, epoxy, or maybe it doesn't matter?
Ferrule1.jpg
Ferrule1.jpg (72.88 KiB) Viewed 3929 times
Ferrule2.jpg
Ferrule2.jpg (76.61 KiB) Viewed 3929 times
Ferrule3.jpg
Ferrule3.jpg (80.2 KiB) Viewed 3929 times
Last edited by Drakestar on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:09 am

Drakestar wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:50 pm

One more question: any suggestion on how to glue ferrule and blank? Super glue, epoxy, or maybe it doesn't matter?

I use Rod Bond epoxy.
Matt Davis