What are your favorite blanks for BFS?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

What are your favorite blanks for BFS?

Post by Randingo » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:23 pm

I'm looking to have a custom BFS rod built to pair with either a Gekkabijin or Steez CT. This rod will mostly be used for bass in single-hook applications. I'll be fishing mainly for smallmouth on local rivers, but there are occasional pike along with largemouth and stocker trout to be had as well (and shad when they're running). I’m using mostly 1/16-1/8 ounce jigs with trailers, wacky rigs, Neko, well as Texas, Tokyo, Jika, and Free rigs and some drop shot, all in similar weight ranges. I’m open to any suggestions, but especially curious about Point Blank, NFC, and Phenix, but feel free to educate me. What blanks have your favorite builds featured? Thanks.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What are your favorite blanks for BFS?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:27 pm

Phenix K2 7'1 or 6'8 medium light for me. If you want to go lower than 1/8 oz plus small plastic, I'd recommend the 7'1. My custom K2 683ml caught me more fish than anything I've owned - before I stepped on the tip section :oops:.
Loads up great with an eighth, appropriate reel of course. I'd call it a regular fast, perhaps slightly slower, with a little extra oomph of reserve power. Super light, very sensitive - perfect for slack line presentations imo. Rod transmitted feedback equally with the famous X7 Super Eiger, fished them side by side. Build it right, build it light. Liked it better than my similar powered X Ray, and I wasn't a big fan of Point Blanks liighter powered tapers, though some of their other blanks are superb.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:10 pm

Great info! Thanks @Hogsticker2!

dv1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dv1 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:54 pm

I have built two BFS rods so far. One, is on the X-ray P700 but I have not got a reel for it yet (Aldebaran BFS 22 in coming soon). I also built a liberty dS760 and put a Tatula CT Type R with the Ray’s Studio Longcast spool on it. On the heavy side of BFS, but that casts a 1/8 jig head with a 2.8” swim bait (total weight 1/4 oz) really nicely. I thing it would spool a normal BFS spool. A different take on a finesse baitcaster but I can see that one getting a fair amount of use as a spinning rod substitute for a few applications. I built the ds760 late in the fall, so only got a few casts with it. I can see it being good for finesse crankbaits too.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:43 pm

Thank you, dv1. That P700 X-Ray keeps coming up...

dv1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dv1 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:27 pm

I would say the P 700 feels like a true ultra light BFS. I have a MajorCraft UL and L BFS rod, and definitely more like the ultra light one.

d510addict
Angler
Angler

Post by d510addict » Tue May 09, 2023 3:42 pm

Is that P700 Bass capable as stated by NFC?

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Thu May 11, 2023 9:31 am

I've built couple S781-MHX for UL purposes. It's cheap and quite nice actually. It's "fast" as ul-blank could be. I hate noodle blanks.

dv1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dv1 » Fri May 12, 2023 5:47 pm

My experience fishing the p700 so far is limited to my pond with an abundance of 11-13” bass and hand sized bluegills. For me, it seems to work better with a 1/16 jighead. Lighter and I have a harder time casting it and getting distance. But, I am fairly new to BFS. It roll casts nicely. I fished it a bit with a 4” senko-style bait and EWG texposed rig. Might be a bit too much for a good hook set, but might be small bass swimming off with half of it in their mouth too. My senko was stiffer plastic too than a regular senko, so that could come into play. It seems pretty versatile. I swung all the bass in to land them just fine.