Exposed Thread Reel Seats

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
gopokes12
Angler
Angler

Exposed Thread Reel Seats

Post by gopokes12 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:16 am

I have a few rods I really like with exposed threads on the reel seat. Is it possible for me to add a form of a lockdown nut onto them without stripping the guides? I was thinking of taking an EVA nut, cutting it down one side than putting it on that way.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Exposed Thread Reel Seats

Post by Mattman » Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:36 pm

I'm skeptical of that working out. No harm in trying it though. There is a surprising amount of force that can be applied by threads and I'd imagine that you'd blow your glue line open. After all, the intent here is for something that can really torque down your reel seat nut. You will intentionally be putting a lot of pressure on it. Babying it defeats the purpose.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:41 pm

I haven't seen them in the rod building world but I have seen female threaded rings that were split across the center and had two small screws, one on each edge, to keep the ring together. That way you can get onto captive male threads by placing each half of the ring on the threads and screwing them together.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:25 pm

If you just want to add something on top or in front and leave the current nut assembly intact, there’s not much requirements to this piece. Just the question of how it would stay tight and out and not look half decent.

The clean and neat way approaching this would be a replacement of the nut and depending on you design choice, you’d be ok with just re-doing the double footed guides and maybe 2 more single footers, depending on what sizes are on those rods.

Or, as you don’t seem to care that much about the looks judging from being ok with a nut that has a slit - how about some black rubberized shrink tube?

MikeK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MikeK » Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:25 am

Do you really need a locking nut or are you looking to cover the threads?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:39 am

If your objective is to cover the threads so they aren't uncomfortable, then just buy linerless rubber splicing tape, the kind used for electrical connection insulation. I use it on a couple of factory spinning rods and it works great. It repels water and is wear-resistant, plus it is matte black to blend in and is very comfortable to the touch. You stretch it as you wrap and it only sticks to itself and leaves no residue when removed.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Crd4Liberty
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Crd4Liberty » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:52 pm

On many rods a Fuji HPS threadless nut would slide over casting guides and then you could split and glue an eva fore grip on the HPS.