All Carbon Integrated Reel Seat & Grip, Slipery when wet?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

All Carbon Integrated Reel Seat & Grip, Slipery when wet?

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:31 am

These handle looks really slick and attractive, but just wondering if they can become slipery when wet? Especially those with gloss finish? Can anyone that had customise your rods where these integrated grips share your experiences please? Also, are there any weight savings by using Cartbon grips as compared to EVA? Thanks in advance! I'm considering installing one of these grip onto a set of NFC 4 piece MB705-4 blanks.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... 8SEzy&mp=1

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: All Carbon Integrated Reel Seat & Grip, Slipery when wet?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:22 am

Not sure about that particular grip, but I would imagine if it has a thick buildup of lacquer or whatever they're using, it could potentially be slippery. I've only used raw or very light, low shine top coat carbon fiber grips. A few different one's actually, and had no issues with heat, cold, or rain. My grips aren't sanded completely smooth either, which helps provide a little grip. My Shimano rods with the full monocoque grips are sanded smooth with a somewhat thick and shiny topcoat. They can definitely get slippery in the rain.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: All Carbon Integrated Reel Seat & Grip, Slipery when wet?

Post by Mattman » Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:51 pm

Shadowcaster1969 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:31 am

These handle looks really slick and attractive, but just wondering if they can become slipery when wet?
While I haven't used anything from this company I can say that I don't have any complaints about the carbon fiber grips that I have used on builds. From purchased grips to ones I laid up myself. From matte finish to gloss finish. I believe that I only have one set, personally. Slippery is not a term I would use to describe them. Are they more slippery than cork or foam? - Yes. But no where close to the extent that I regret using them or are even minorly inconvenienced by them.

Shadowcaster1969 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:31 am

Also, are there any weight savings by using Cartbon grips as compared to EVA?
That's really tough to say. So much depends on the construction. How much of the interior is foam? What density is the foam? How thick is the carbon fiber? How much resin is in the grip? How heavy is the top coat of resin? Its tough to make a blanket statement. I do believe that a set of carbon fiber grips, if built with saving weight in mind, and to identical dimensions, is slightly lighter than EVA foam. But, that's splitting hairs really.

That being said, a little weight behind the hand is often a good thing allowing your rod to balance better in your hand. I always recommend focusing on form and function. Saving weight is nice but is completely wasted if the rod isn't "right" because of it.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods