Anyone know how to make a jerkbait suspend shallower

Can't find what you're looking for in a catalog or in the store shelves? Ever think about just making it yourself? Come share your inspirations and creations with fellow tinkerers in TackleTour's Garage Baits forum!
LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Anyone know how to make a jerkbait suspend shallower

Post by LPFC » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:49 pm

This might be a strange question but does anyone know how to make a jerkbait suspend shallower. I fish a shallow lake, most of my fishing is 1 to 4 feet. A lot of jerkbaits suspend deeper, I.E.. pointer 100 7ish feet. If I fish them really really really slow it's ok but if I give them a good jerk, WHAM stuck on a rock or log. There are a couple jerkbaits that are ok for the deepth I need but I would like more choices. Tired of loosing my LC's and traded my 110's just so I don't loose them.

So does anyone know if this can be done? If so can you please tell me how to do it.

Thank you, Tony

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Anyone know how to make a jerkbait suspend shallower

Post by cst » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Try a shallower running bait like a Lucky Craft Flashminnow 110sp

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:08 pm

Remove the stock treble hooks & put on trebles hooks that a a size smaller.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:26 pm

bstuckey wrote:Remove the stock treble hooks & put on trebles hooks that a a size smaller.
- That can help.

Years ago, before we had so many lure choices available... I used to modify the lip of a jerkbait by heating it up with a lighter and bending it to get the depth and action I wanted. I realize this is not very sophisticated, but it worked, LOL! Be careful if you try this though, it may melt the lip or make it brittle.

Another option would be a wakebait or a topwater lure... for bass, I do as well or better with a Devil's Horse.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:00 pm

A shallower bait weighted to slow float (weight down a floating rogue if need be), heavier mono, and "upward" twitches.

518bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 518bassin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:26 pm

steve1206 wrote:A shallower bait weighted to slow float (weight down a floating rogue if need be), heavier mono, and "upward" twitches.
I was thinking the same thing. Get a floating rogue or rapala and use Suspend Strips or Suspend dots or do the same thing with a Vision 110 High Floater.

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:04 am

I have jerkbaits that work shallower like the EErantic shads and McSticks. I just keep feeding the lake with my LC Pointers and my lake is starving, lol

I've never had good luck with Rogues, I do have some and maybe I will just have to break them out again. I lost confidance in them.

What I would like to do is take the one's I have and try to modify them to work shallower, if I can't, at least I gave it a shot.

Thank you for all the great advice

Tony/LPFC (Lake Parsippany Fishing Club)

Munkin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Munkin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:54 pm

Heavier mono, hold rodtip higher or the most drastic is to grind down the lip. One of my slender pointers chipped the corner of the lip so I just dremeled it down. Now it still works but runs about half the original depth. I know LC made a shallow runner version on the 65 and 78 pointer maybe they made one for the 100 size?

Allen

Crackerjack
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crackerjack » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:51 am

I realize this is an old post. :whistle:

I have some of those SR Model Lucky Craft Pointers that were discontinued.

I used Dremel to trim the lips on regular ones to match since those colors didn't exist.

Also using heated sand baked in oven like eye Doctor's use but only inserting lips to bend for desired result.

JDietsch
Angler
Angler

Post by JDietsch » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:40 pm

Upsize your line size to 16 or 20lb test.
"Take the road less traveled."

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:24 pm

Crackerjack wrote:I realize this is an old post. :whistle:

I have some of those SR Model Lucky Craft Pointers that were discontinued.

I used Dremel to trim the lips on regular ones to match since those colors didn't exist.

Also using heated sand baked in oven like eye Doctor's use but only inserting lips to bend for desired result.
Do you have any pics to illustrate the difference between the lips on the originals vs. the ones you modified?

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:30 pm

50 pound braid is helping. They may not suspend much shallower but I can pull them out of almost any snag, :lol:

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:33 am

There are only two ways to make it happen, either shorten the lip or heat the lip up and bend it down more.
All of the LC plugs that I have messed with for people sink. No matter what you do they sink. They are a truely poor example of a suspending jerkbait. You have to know where to drill on the baits to remove weight. Then how much to add back to get it to work right. Your best bet is to use a Smithwick Rogue that is a floater with a buteryte lip. Like the one VanDam used to win the Classic in Pittsburg. That is one of the shallowest running minnow baits that I know. If you just have to get it to suspend then try to find some lead core solder and wrap it around the front or middle hook. Also it is important to know what temp the water will be when you plan to fish it. When you test the lure then have the water in you test bucket as close to that temp as you can get it. Cold water is denser than hot. It makes a difference. So if the water temp is going to be 45 deg when you plan to fish the lure then cool the water in your test bucket to 45. You really don't want the lure to truely suspend. You want a really slow rise.

Crankbaitmaker

alex09
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by alex09 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:24 am

Here's one trick that I learned from Hiro Barramundi of secretbarramundi.blogspot.com. To reduce the chances of snagging jerkbaits in shallow water, change the trebles to double hooks -- 2x Owners or Vanfooks.

Aside from lessening the chances of snagging, it will also increase hookups -- (doubles have wider gaps). Another benefit is that it will lighten the lure because each hook will lose one point and you will no longer need split rings per hook. Lighter lures will make the jerbait rise slowly. Here's Hiro's pic of a modified lure:

We have been using diving jerkbaits and drag them in the bottom even at at 1 foot of water. One disadvantage though is that there is a chance that you will lose the lure lip when a lure hits a rock or something hard in the bottom -- but it will not snag. :D

Deaknh
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Deaknh » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:18 pm

next size down with the trebles.