Megabass Vision 110 broken bill fix

Can't find what you're looking for in a catalog or in the store shelves? Ever think about just making it yourself? Come share your inspirations and creations with fellow tinkerers in TackleTour's Garage Baits forum!
earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Megabass Vision 110 broken bill fix

Post by earthworm77 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:32 pm

The Megabass Ito Vision 110 broken bill fix
by C. DeFronzo
Let's get past the notion that a hard bait that costs 24.00 a pop should not have the all too common problem of its bill breaking off.........under any circumstances. I know it happens a lot and I know that guys are furious because it happens. I have fished the 110 but never had this issue. I became interested in a fix because I acquired a broken bill Vision 110 as an "extra" in an Ebay deal in which the seller took an unusually long time to deliver and he threw in a couple of them to keep me happy. I felt I could fix it and it would help someone down the road who didn't want to throw out such an expensive bait. I used my time machine to take on two baits at the same for this writing. I wanted to be sure I could do it more than once.

The patients:

Upon receiving the broken (blue)bait I figured I'd try to experiment a little. Seeing that gap of missing plastic, I decided to epoxy the whole area to give me a little "meat" to work with. I re-sculpted the area as close to what I felt "normal" would be and set the bait aside for a few days. When I picked it up again, I did a little sanding to even things out. Then I picked up the dremel and carefully made as straight and level a cut as possible. Had I decided to simply lay the bill in the hole left by the "incident", I certainly would have had to put a lot of effort into getting it straight. I think rebuilding and then cutting the slot was the best way to do it. As long as the cut is straight and level, it should be GTG.

Cutting and angling the slot for the bill

Sanding and smoothing in prep for cutting a slot for a circuit board bill

In making the slot for the bill it has to be angled correctly and straight....as it applies to being perpendicular to the fixed line tie. It seems easy enough but I am sure this is where many would be repairs go awry and dreams and egos are broken. It looks to be very easy to botch this. I might have gotten a little lucky and it worked for me the first time out.(2 times actually)

The slot cut straight and the circuit board replacement bill prior to trimming

Once the bait has been excavated, I found a solid circuit board bill that I trimmed into a square bill for this bait. I wasn't sure if I would keep it as a square bill for this particular bait or if I would trim it further at the reconstruction to get it as close to the original bill. I have since decided to keep the square bill but I took off the sharp edges on the corners.

This is the trimmed circuit board bill, notice the top bait with the split belly. It is a 110 that apparently has heat damage.
It imploded, shrunk approximately 10mm and the belly split. I don't think I can fix that one. Upon shrinking, if the bait curved even slightly, it might not run straight.

Once you determine the slot is correct and the replacement bill is suitable, epoxy it with Devcon 2. Again, I'm never in a rush to get these baits wet, I let them sit and set for a couple of days.

This is the finished product:

I hope this helps someone in preventing them from jumping off a ledge due to a broken Vision 110.

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Megabass Vision 110 broken bill fix

Post by smallies » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:08 pm

Have you considered shaving the bills down to match the shape of the 110 bill, or do you leave them like that?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:16 pm

Clever idea, well done.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:56 am

The bill can be trimmed to virtually any shape.