New Lure

Can't find what you're looking for in a catalog or in the store shelves? Ever think about just making it yourself? Come share your inspirations and creations with fellow tinkerers in TackleTour's Garage Baits forum!
Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

New Lure

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:59 am

Decided to start on something new a few weeks ago, so I jumped right in and went for for it, and think the first prototype turned out great. Definitely need some finish to smooth things out before paint, but that’s not important while testing.

Started with making a master out of clay, then made a mold out of silicone, and finally poured plastic into the mold. Easy process, and pretty cool being able to make any size or shape you can think of. These Suspending twitch baits work really well in the inshore fisheries, and for me, they shine in the winter when I’m working baits slowly.

Being able to weight these to sink as slow as possible and then suspend off the bottom was a big reason I started this project. Controlling every aspect of the lure is something you can’t do with off the shelf lures. Weight amount and placement was an interesting process, and was able to figure out how to add some extra action on the fall depending on what was used.

Color is supposed to imitate a Menhaden Shad which is a major part of most inshore species diets. Next version will have the gill plates and lips carved in, weight transfer system and full thru wire construction.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Lure

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:18 am

Nice work! I'm a huge fan of the purple/black shad color. My favorite jerkbait color for sure.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:00 am

Really nice! How long did it take you from making the master to being able to pour the resin?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:14 am

Very nice looking lure =D>

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:11 am

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:18 am
Nice work! I'm a huge fan of the purple/black shad color. My favorite jerkbait color for sure.
Thank you. Purple seems to get bit well al over the country, I know we have lots of species with purple colors around here. Purple is a fun color to spray with too

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:28 am

mark poulson wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:00 am
Really nice! How long did it take you from making the master to being able to pour the resin?
It was a process, but only took a couple days. Cure times are the only thing you will have to wait for, and the silicone cures pretty quickly. I made a mold around the clay master, and used that mold to make a rough version of the finished product which is what is seen here. I then used that with hook hangers and line ties installed to make a nicer 2piece mold. The 2piece mold will be critical to allow for a harness to line up correctly.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:29 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:14 am
Very nice looking lure =D>
Thanks, it’s been a fun process

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:11 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:28 am
mark poulson wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:00 am
It was a process, but only took a couple days. Cure times are the only thing you will have to wait for, and the silicone cures pretty quickly. I made a mold around the clay master, and used that mold to make a rough version of the finished product which is what is seen here. I then used that with hook hangers and line ties installed to make a nicer 2piece mold. The 2piece mold will be critical to allow for a harness to line up correctly.
That makes perfect sense. Thanks.