ETEC 115 vs. Optimax 115 which one

seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: ETEC 115 vs. Optimax 115 which one

Post by seasicknes » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:33 pm

The etec would be quieter than the optimax.
Both deliver good miles per gallon compared to the older carburated engines.

The etec and optimax are two stroke motors and you get alot of torque with these motors compared to 4 strokes. Four strokes are slow getting out of the hole (hole shot) and are heavier motors.

The etec is still new on the market. Basically a up to date ficht motor. The older generation ficht motors were problematic with the 150/175hp V6 motors. All other fichts were ok. But, due to extensive out in the field upgrades trying to repair these problematic motors the company (OMC) went bankrupt.
The optimax had problems early on also, but faired better. There problem motor was the 200/225hp range. All other optis were ok.

Ken (90hp 4 stroke / 225hp etec / 15hp honda 4 stroke / 6hp merc 4 stroke)

misr12
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by misr12 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:03 pm

Ken,

Great post! I am getting close to my decision. Everyone thanks for your comments. Any other last comments are welcomed. I am ready to start my purchase inquiries for my engine upgrade. 07' will be much quicker on the water! :D

seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by seasicknes » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:21 am

Mercury has not been sitting on there as*. They been watching the etec sales closely. Mercury invested more money on there R&D for there optimax. Heard that the new generation optimax may be coming out soon, just don't know when.

Mercury purchased a bunch of 4 strokes from yamaha. Mercury didn't have a 4 stroke of there own. Now, there contract is over with and mercury has there own version of the 4 strokes.
Mercury calls it verado a supercharge 4 stroke and a non supercharge version is available for the smaller horsepower models.
Again these motors are pretty heavy and some of the older boats cannot handle this weight.

Because of weight factors on older boats, the etec is very attractive. Plus the hole shot is outstanding.

Both the optimax and etecs start instantly. Both require a large battery however. Etecs are pretty quiet compared to optimax. Four strokes are the quietest, but out of the hole is the slowest.
Fuel economy is pretty close with the newer tech motors (2 stroke dfi versus 4 strokes). Four stroke carbs eat more gas compared to an efi version.
With todays gas prices. I would go either with a 2 stroke dfi or a 4 stroke efi. Don't get the carburated 4 stroke !

Good Luck in your decission,
ken

Jurgo68
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Jurgo68 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:47 pm

I have an etec 115 on my boat and wouldn't trade it for any motor on the market. As far as the fichts and the older opti's they both had the same problems and all the problems were with the V6 motors. Merc did a lot better job covering up the problems in the media though.
Either way, they both are good motors now. I do know a few people that have the smaller opti's and overall the performance is less than could be desired. They seem to not perform power wise with hole shot and top end speed. However they have not had any mechanical problems with these motors so that is a good thing.
To the 115 etec, it is one of the best running motors that I have ever used. It sips gas, and barely uses any oil, which is a good thing since the XD100 costs around $40 a gallon. The one problem that I did have was that the dealer set my boat up with a prop that was no where near what the motor should have been set-up with. Once I switched this the motor showed its true potential.
Comparing price of the two motors, the etec will cost you more, but in my mnd it is well worth it. If your budget allows go with the etec.

Flippin Pigs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Flippin Pigs » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:17 am

Some very knowledgable posts here. My opinion is that you will be happy with either motor..the only issue is the added cost of converting to a RUDE setup...there were problems with the OLD opti's but they are great now. You wont have any problems with a 115 being dangerous.....a jackplate on a boat of this size will add minimal performance. Most important is the prop. Dont just get any stainless prop. Be sure that you get the right # of blades (3 blade is most likely what you will want on a boat of this size, 4's and 5's are for greater grab in rough water, they also give you a better holeshot) and correct pitch. Many places will let you try out props before you buy...I would STRONGLY reccommend trying several props before you buy...they arent cheap. bassboatcentral.com is a great resource. I would also recommend selling your old one privatly.

Good luck and all the best

houser
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by houser » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:27 am

Hi,

Sorry to drag this thread back from the past, hope you all don't mind...
I am going thru a very similar decision on the same 115hp Merc/Rude engines and boat and wanted to know if there are current/up to date comments to this topic?
My boat is probably a bit flatter than the one in this thread and weighs only 1800lbs/800kilos and is a 20 footer.
Any comments much appreciated..
Great forum BTW!

TA and regards
jtm

seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by seasicknes » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:44 pm

You really can't go wrong with either of these two motors.
The optimax will be noiser for sure. Has more parts also.

The etec is quieter and has less parts to go wrong.
Only negative thing I see is the cost of XD100 oil. A gallon of that stuff is about $40.00 a gallon !!!
If you want to use the less expensive oil (xd50), however you are going to use more of it. The tech has to program the on-board computer to tell it what kind of oil it is using.

Both get good gas mileage. Both starts instantly.
Now a days, all these outboards that is efi / dfi will get pretty good mileage even the 4 strokes.

Just to let you know, I have the etec 225hp. My buddy has twin 135 opti's. I can tell you that they are LOUD ! I can hear him at least a mile away maybe more.

Overall cost. The etecs are pricey. However, it all depends on your exiting wiring harness and binnacle controls.

Good Luck in your decission.
Ken

houser
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by houser » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:42 am

Thanx Ken,

I do appreciate your input!

The ETEC will put a bit less weight on the transom which is important
on a small boat. Optimax probably cheaper and has a few more years of experience. ETEC is more quiet...
It's very much a toss-up for me right now...
Think I will just look for the best deal...
One dealer I spoke to hinted that Mercury will give up on the Optimaxes sooner or later and focus on 4-strokes...where Evinrude/Bombardier have plans to go all 2-stroke for the foreseeable future...
Ah well, I just want to go fishing and get back home safe ;)

Thanx again!
jtma

seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by seasicknes » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:01 pm

Just heard from a friend that in 2008 all the NEW whalers will not have optimax's on the transoms. It will be all 4 stroke motors.

So maybe optimax's are phasing out ????

ken

FearNoFish1337
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FearNoFish1337 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:05 am

they both suck go with a yamaha HPDI VMAX

houser
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by houser » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:37 pm

HPDI vmax eh?
Well, there is only a 150hp model and it weighs 468 lb so it's not an option on my boat. If you mean the 2 stroke 115 V4 it's a carb loop charged.
None of them are an option in my case...but thanx anyway.

FearNoFish1337
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FearNoFish1337 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:27 am

uhh the hpdi is a 2 stroke lol. i would never put a 4 stroke motor on a boat

NW Fisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NW Fisher » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:11 pm

Just curious,.....why would you never put a 4 stroke on a boat? There are lakes over here in Washington that will not allow two stroke motors because of pollution.

Thanks

Jake

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:11 pm

cause the weight a ton and have less power to them..Optimax pro XS all the way.. ;)
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:40 pm

i have a 2000 triton tr18 w. a 150 efi, ten years NEVER a problem , my brother has an ETEC on his 07 ranger z 20, and blew it up once and lost a lower unit twice. sounds like he abuses it but he actually treats the boat better than his wife. although what fisherman doesn't