Min Kota or Motor Guide?

kenshomi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Min Kota or Motor Guide?

Post by kenshomi » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:03 pm

I have always had Min Kota trolloinh motors. But need to replacement.
After looking at what Motor guide has to offer they have the perfect spec motor for me one of their new Digital models. Should I make the switch or stay?

iangler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Min Kota or Motor Guide?

Post by iangler » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:11 pm

Motorguide all the way for me, especially since they went digital.

hsu.parker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hsu.parker » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:35 pm

They're both good and viable choices. I'm a Minn Kota man, but digital would be nice.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:47 am

I have a Minn Kota and have no complaints with them at all...My other one which was the original 85 was on there since last year..My buddies lil 24lb minn kota he uses on his Jon boat is 8-10 years old. They are both great, but if you have a minn kota on the boat now you might want to see what mounting is needed for the motorguide. ;)
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:55 pm

I'm a Motorguide man. Others in my club are Minn-Kota men, both brands seem to do just as well as the other, and we really get a lot of use out of them, being our main motors and all :)

In the past, the Motorguides had the button on the right of the pedal, the Minn-Kota on the left, I learned with a Motorguide, so that's my preference. Might have changed, not looked at motors in years.

kenshomi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kenshomi » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:51 pm

Bump

BillyBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BillyBass » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:02 pm

Recently bought a Minnkota Riptide, didn't need a Saltwater motor, but, they quit making the 3X Hand Control Bow Mounts in Freshwater, it has a little longer shaft than I needed, well, I thought, because I can stand all the way forward and bump the handle with my knees, I don't loose my balance like the foot controlled motor I had, the variable speed is great too, already found out the weed whacker prop does what they say, and so far so good, but, time will tell.

Mizmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mizmo » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:14 pm

Just picked up a Minn-Kota 70lb thrust for my 16 foot flat... been running that thing for a month now with out charging the two 12v's. Anyway, never used a MotorG, but would assume that in this day of technology both motors are good. For me, I just like the looks and foot control of the Minn-Kota, just my personal opinion.
Sean
La Crosse, WI

iangler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by iangler » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:16 pm

Mizmo wrote:For me, I just like the looks and foot control of the Minn-Kota, just my personal opinion.
I guess I have the same reasons for choosing Motorguide. I prefer the MG Tour foot control.

acar555
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by acar555 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:07 pm

Both companies models are digital as of 2007. Minn Kota made their maximizer feature digital this year.

Simonker
Angler
Angler

Post by Simonker » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:58 am

When I purchased my 2005 Tracker "All Fish" it came with a Motor Guide. I had a MINN KOTA(2004 40 Powerdrive) on my old boat but I thought I would give the MG a try. I used it for a few weekends and found it way to sensitive. The slightest push on the foot control and the direction arrow would be all over then place, also The steel shaft on the MG bent after hitting some rocks and stumps. The foot pedal on the MK was a lot smoother and far easier to control. The shaft on the MK is a composite material that they claim is unbreakable. Anyway traded in the old motor for a Minn kota 55 All Terrain have hit rock and stumps no problem.. IMO Minn Kota is a far better designed and constructed trolling motor.

misr12
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by misr12 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:29 am

Simonker wrote:When I purchased my 2005 Tracker "All Fish" it came with a Motor Guide. I had a MINN KOTA(2004 40 Powerdrive) on my old boat but I thought I would give the MG a try. I used it for a few weekends and found it way to sensitive. The slightest push on the foot control and the direction arrow would be all over then place, also The steel shaft on the MG bent after hitting some rocks and stumps. The foot pedal on the MK was a lot smoother and far easier to control. The shaft on the MK is a composite material that they claim is unbreakable. Anyway traded in the old motor for a Minn kota 55 All Terrain have hit rock and stumps no problem.. IMO Minn Kota is a far better designed and constructed trolling motor.
Min Kota has got to redesign their foot pedal. I posted elsewhere to all that is considering a new trolling motor purchase. The motor works great no complaints there but I constantly am missing the activation button on the foot pedal. The problem is the foot pedal is so big and the button being on the left makes it difficult to depress the activation button to engage the motor. It's past getting old. It's to the point that there is a guy on our BFL tour that is selling a cross bar to cover the complete width of the foot pedal so it fixes this problem. If you are on the water all day fishing you need the instant response. This is not a motor guide is better issue but rather a MK needs to fix and redesign their foot pedal! I have own both 70lb thrust motors from MK and MG. It's a matter of personal preference in most cases i thought until I purchased and started using the MK. Until MK addresses this on their future motors I will be going back to MG. It simply easier to operate the steering with their foot pedal.

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:32 am

blew up 2 motor guide s in 5 years and have been using the same min kota since (7yrs) hmm go minkota :D

nsfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nsfisher » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:00 am

I recently prurchased a motorguide Varimax from sportmans guide, it was one of the factory reconditioned ones so it was less than half the retail price. I have no complaints i got the same warranty as a new one, plus it runs just like it should people just shy away from them because they were sent back. but i would recommend looking into it because it saved me over $250 bucks which alot on a 400 dollar motor

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:07 am

Mixed on this one. Have a MG which shorted out in the lower unit due to a manufacturing fault. Question was repair MG or buy a new MK. I was pretty pi$$ed that the MG shot craps like it did. Improperly wired at the factory....but out of warranty.

Looked at the MK and liked their motors a lot..but the foot pedal wasn't functioning as smoothly for me as the MG. Specifically the on and off button was too recessed into the pedal. To actiavte it, I'd have to really press down and this would force the motor head into a different direction. Had the MG repaired and it's functioning fine now.

Guessing that had I started with a MK, I'd have gotten accustom to the pedal and on/off switch. MG is much easier to operate for me. Next one will probably be a MG.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><