Alternatives to carpet

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Alternatives to carpet

Post by Katron » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:34 pm

It just dawned on my last night when I was thinking of the jon boat conversion that I am planning that in homes instead of hardwood or carpet for floors they use cork. It is about 1/4" thick and very comfortable to walk on. The way the idea came about is that I was thinking of a way to solve the whole treble hook in carpet conundrum. I went from considering more of a hard plastic on the sides of the deck, then to more of a rubber, then to the cork. Turns out after doing some searching on the web I have discovered that it is used on really upscale yachts. What do you guys think?

Kaleb
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

518bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Alternatives to carpet

Post by 518bassin » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:52 pm

They also use cork in home flooring but I had heard it has durability issues obviously because of its softness. I have seen boats with Tuff or Rhino spray in bed lining used. The guys on Wired2Fish have a flats boat they converted to use on horsepower restricted lakes and they lined the boat with it. Its nonskid and durable. I think there is a brand named Hurculiner that comes in a can you can roll on yourself.

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:39 am

My G3 river jet boat has a vinyl floor covering and it is great. With all the sand and dirt my dog and I track in the boat along the river all I have to do is wash it out with the hose and it's clean. I've had quite a few bass boats and river boats and I'll never have carpet in a boat again if I can avoid it.

antinthis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by antinthis » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:45 am

My buddy did a tuff coat paint on his center console. Even though center consoles dont have carpet to begin with, it made it a non slippery.