1st Time Boat Owner. Need tips.

aclark609
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

1st Time Boat Owner. Need tips.

Post by aclark609 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:59 am

I just bought my first bass boat. I'm extremely excited to get out on the water, but I'm pretty much ignorant when it comes to boat maintenance. Here are some questions that you guys might be able to answer. How often should I run a stabilizing agent or ethanol treatment through my engine? How do I know when the water pump is about to go out? What is the best 2 cycle oil to use? If I take my boat out once or twice during the winter, should I still go through all of the steps of winterizing the boat? Is there any other tips I should know that could prevent my motor from screwing up out on the water? If my boat is running will it charge my trolling motor battery as well? The trolling motor battery is hooked up in the back by the other two batteries but I can't tell if they are connected in some way. Sorry to be such a noob but any suggestions regarding my questions or anything else would be greatly appreciated. The boat is a 93 18' Ranger Comanche 485V dual console with a 150 Johnson Fast Strike if that helps any.

Imavol
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 1st Time Boat Owner. Need tips.

Post by Imavol » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:28 pm

If you use gas with ethanol in it you should always use a stabilizing treatment, if you take your boat out during the winter you should not winterize it, but you should make sure that you drain all of the water out of the the lower unit and change the lower unit oil before it gets below freezing. Also make sure and keep your batteries charged all winter they can freeze if they are not. And your motor will not charge your trolling motor batteries. You will need a charger for them I recommend an onboard charger I leave mine plugged in all the time.If you keep it in a garage that will help tremendously. Also if your boat does not have a water pressure gauge on it get one for it. You will know immediately if your water pump goes out. And welcome to boat ownership.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:01 am

Imavol wrote:If you use gas with ethanol in it you should always use a stabilizing treatment, if you take your boat out during the winter you should not winterize it, but you should make sure that you drain all of the water out of the the lower unit and change the lower unit oil before it gets below freezing. Also make sure and keep your batteries charged all winter they can freeze if they are not. And your motor will not charge your trolling motor batteries. You will need a charger for them I recommend an onboard charger I leave mine plugged in all the time.If you keep it in a garage that will help tremendously. Also if your boat does not have a water pressure gauge on it get one for it. You will know immediately if your water pump goes out. And welcome to boat ownership.
Ditto on all of the above. Also recommend you have a battery power switch installed between your batteries and boat motor and other elec6tronics. This disconnects the batteries from the motor and all accessories when not in use. They are inexpensive and can save a lot of headaches.

Also keep a pair of heavy duty cable cutters in your boat. If something shorts out you will not be able to disconnect the batteries by hand. You can snip the battery cable before everything melts or catches fire. Less expensive to replace a battery cable than a boat.

Check your local gas stations and see if any offer "No Ethanol" pump gas. We have a station that does and although price per gallon is higher, you get a higher octane rating and no need to use an additive.

If you store the boat outside....buy a boat cover and pull your drain plug.

Congrats and good luck
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:06 am

Ethanol: treat every tank if you can

Water pump: you must run a water pressure gauge! Some people change the pump out every year or so. Not a bad idea.

Oil: this is always debatable. Most run quicksilver. Always run the highest grade. For example don't run quicksilver premium but run premium plus or synthetic.

Winterizing: before it gets cold change your lower unit oil. This is a good time to pull the prop and check the seal and see if there's any fishing line on the shaft. Put fuel treatment in the tank and fill the tank up. More gas means less moisture can get in. Charge the batteries. Grease your wheel bearings while your at it.

Charging: Your trolling batteries won't charge while running. There is a charger made that will do this though. I can't remember what its called. By good batteries (not everstarts!!!!) and an onboard charger and your batteries should be good on any trip. Try to charge your batteries as soon as you get home from the lake.

Wheel bearings: these are my worst enemy. I hate them. Take care of them. When you stop for gas feel your hubs and make sure they aren't hot. If they are and you keep going be watching your mirrors for smoke or tires flying off!

Mechanics: find a good one and become his best friend. Invite him over for thanksgiving, send him a Christmas card, if you deer hunt give him some summer sausage and deer jerky, help his elderly mother across the street.

Hope this helps!

One last thing, never ever never never ever run out of gas. Especially during the winter months. You will learn that not many people that own lake houses actually live in them. The ones that do either have large angry German shepards or are wondering just what the heck you're doing on their property. What I'm saying is its tough to find gas and someone willing to share it.

518bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 518bassin » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:13 am

For the charger aspect they are called stealth chargers and they are wired to the alternator in your boat so you can charge the trolling motor battery every time your making a run with the gas motor. Theres also a company called Stay-N-Charge that sells there own version which does the same as described above but also is hooked up to your tow vehicles alternator so you can charge your batteries while driving too and from the lake.

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:58 am

I live in Chicago and therefore have brutal winters. I didn't believe the people when they told me but I personally experienced it. If you do indeed have a water pressure guage make sure you to disconnect it during winter if you live in freezing temps. Mine froze over this past winter and hasn't worked since then.

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:39 am

I have the stay- n-charge equipped on my boat. A great investment. Its worked well this past season, but I still hook up in the garage after an outing to a battery tender to check it out- and it has minimized the amount of time I actually spend recharging by half

mattfish11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mattfish11 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:41 am

Always, Always, ALWAYS put your drain plug in before you put the boat in the water! :big grin:

Tips above are excellent!!! =D>

Imavol
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Imavol » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:24 am

mattfish11 wrote:Always, Always, ALWAYS put your drain plug in before you put the boat in the water! :big grin:

You know you can fish all day without a drain plug I have done it more times than I care to admit. I finally broke down and bought one of those automatic drain plugs. Great investment.

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:41 am

Imavol wrote:
mattfish11 wrote:Always, Always, ALWAYS put your drain plug in before you put the boat in the water! :big grin:

You know you can fish all day without a drain plug I have done it more times than I care to admit. I finally broke down and bought one of those automatic drain plugs. Great investment.
I never heard of that before. How does it work?

Imavol
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Imavol » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:56 am

Works on a lever same as a livewell. It is great.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Bass_Boa ... DPSDM.html

518bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 518bassin » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:51 pm

Imavol wrote:Works on a lever same as a livewell. It is great.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Bass_Boa ... DPSDM.html
I saw a video on Wired2Fish also that shows how it works. It looks like a great idea.

1600tf
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 1600tf » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:27 pm

x2, you'll eventually forget to one day. everyone does, but man is it funny as ever and scary if its your own boat. :D :big grin:

1600tf
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 1600tf » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:31 pm

oh also, make sure your rig is all setup according to dnr regulations before hitting the water. battery boxes, life vests, etc.... would suck to get a fine while be spot checked.

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:32 pm

When you launch the boat make sure to unhook the boat from the trailer....not the trailer from the tow vehicle... :lol: :lol: :lol:

A friend of mine who works in boat sales told me a story about a customer who bought a boat and then tried to return it because he couldn't get it to go up on plane...