12/24 volt trolling motor?

aclark609
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

12/24 volt trolling motor?

Post by aclark609 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:52 pm

I'm brand new to bass boats. I mean brand new. I have a trolling motor that has a 12 volt setting and a 24 volt setting. Also I have three batteries in the back. One is set alone by itself. It's a 12 volt. The other two are connected together and look like 12 volt batteries. Does this mean that my trolling motor uses the two batteries that are hooked together, and my boat solely uses the other battery? The trolling motor works on both settings so I would think it either uses one or both of the batteries depending on if it's set to 12 or 24 volt. Also, I don't have a lot of electronics on my boat so the motor could just use one 12 volt battery, right? I know that cranking batteries are used for starting the motor and deep cycle batteries for trolling and duals are for both, but nothing is labeled. The two batteries that are connected are interstate workaholics and extreme cycle life is labeled on both so I guess these are the deep cycle batteries? Please Help.

Imavol
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 12/24 volt trolling motor?

Post by Imavol » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:28 pm

It has been a while since I had a 12/24 trolling motor but if I remember correctly there is a jumper hooked from the positive of battery one to the negative of battery two. These two batteries run just the trolling motor more than likely, the other battery runs everything else. Make sure that you unhook the jumper when you charge your trolling motor batteries. Also if you run the trolling motor on 24 volts your batteries will last longer.

aclark609
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: 12/24 volt trolling motor?

Post by aclark609 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:03 pm

Thanks for the info and the tip. It's much appreciated.