Flats Boat

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Flats Boat

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:28 am

Im still debating on what boat I'm going to get to fish primarily Lake Okeechobee. Because I live in South Florida, I also have options for back country fishing and why I'm thinking Flats versus a dedicated Bass Boat. I'm not a tournament fisherman and prefer to chase one trophy versus making 100 hook ups. Tend to fish the afternoons and into the evening versus getting out on the water at the crack of dawn and want options that will allow me to fish shallow but survive a trip home should I get caught in one of our frequent afternoon summer thunderstorms. The Big O is big and I'm told it can get quite choppy out there.

So, what are my limitations as it pertains to bass fishing the Big O and should I get the urge to fish a tournament then what will I give up because of this decision?

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Flats Boat

Post by USA-RET » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:29 am

GARRIGA wrote:Im still debating on what boat I'm going to get to fish primarily Lake Okeechobee. Because I live in South Florida, I also have options for back country fishing and why I'm thinking Flats versus a dedicated Bass Boat. I'm not a tournament fisherman and prefer to chase one trophy versus making 100 hook ups. Tend to fish the afternoons and into the evening versus getting out on the water at the crack of dawn and want options that will allow me to fish shallow but survive a trip home should I get caught in one of our frequent afternoon summer thunderstorms. The Big O is big and I'm told it can get quite choppy out there.

So, what are my limitations as it pertains to bass fishing the Big O and should I get the urge to fish a tournament then what will I give up because of this decision?
Given a choice I'd opt for a flats or bay boat over a dedicated bass boat. I fish Istokpoga and flats boats work well for nearly every situation.. They are shallow draft, have similar characteristics of a bass boat (although with a different interior lay out) and are easy to keep clean.

Unless you go with a big bay boat or a Hurricane deck boat getting caught on Okeechobee with strong winds can be horrible. Istokpoga is smaller but can churn some huge waves with the winds we get nearly every day down here. The Flats and bay boat can run like a rabbit to keep you ahead of a storm.

Initially I was looking at a Flats boat that I could use in SW as well as fresh. Got a great deal on a new BB so I bought it. Problems with bass boat, carpeting. It's a mess, Can't use it in SW (you can but be prepared to replace some very smelly carpeting frequently). Flats and Bay are a "Hose it out" affair. I'm forever tracking the sandy dirt into my boat when launching. When getting back into the "Jungle" the boat get covered with the bugs and plant material. Bass boats can be a pain to keep clean down here. Flats boat gives you a poling platform to get back into area otherwise denied the bass boat.

You can set the Flats boat up with trolling motor and seats like a bass boat..so you lose nothing. I'm not a tournament fisherman, so I can't comment on all the intricacies there (aerated live wells, etc). But if you buying something primarily for personal fishing outings in SW Florida, the Flats/Bay boat would be my recommendation.

Just my $.02
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:15 am

I'm not fond of carpet either. Prefer to be bare footed on fiberglass, sun permitting. Also thought it would be convenient to pole around the Monkey Box area when water levels were down and why my other choice was going to be a pimped out Jon boat just for the lakes and a Bay Boat for the rest.

You're going to think I'm crazy but if I can save up, I'm seriously considering a Yellowfin 24 which would loose some shallow atributes but way more practical if stuck on the otherside of the Big O and needed to get home plus it opens up so many more saltwater opportunities that include running 50 miles into the Gulf for those summer time wreck Permits. It's only money but there so many other things that need to get paid. Lol

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:12 pm

GARRIGA wrote:I'm not fond of carpet either. Prefer to be bare footed on fiberglass, sun permitting. Also thought it would be convenient to pole around the Monkey Box area when water levels were down and why my other choice was going to be a pimped out Jon boat just for the lakes and a Bay Boat for the rest.

You're going to think I'm crazy but if I can save up, I'm seriously considering a Yellowfin 24 which would loose some shallow atributes but way more practical if stuck on the otherside of the Big O and needed to get home plus it opens up so many more saltwater opportunities that include running 50 miles into the Gulf for those summer time wreck Permits. It's only money but there so many other things that need to get paid. Lol
Yep, I'm a barefoot fisherman also. Amazing how fast your feet get sunburned :lol:

Talking to a few of the local guides, the biggest fish are usually so far back into the "jungle" you need to pole back in to get them (an excellent argument for a jon boat as you said). I also see many guys using the bay boats (with the higher gunnels) to navigate through the nastier waves (much drier rides than us with the pad bass boats). The flats boat is kind of a happy middle ground. I really like the Triumph 19' Bay..a nice compromise between the traditional flats boats and a deeper bay boat. Drafts only 11 inches of water. With all all things there are always trade-offs.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:06 pm

I have a buddy down there that has his Ranger boat outfitted with a fiberglass deck, so he can take on the Big O, Istokpoga, Placid(not that its shallow), Glades and out on the flats. It's pretty awesome! A little heavier then a carpeted boat but if I could tell you the places he's gotten us back into it on the Big O you'd be amazed. However a Hydraulic Jack Plate is a MUST HAVE!

I fished with a guide, Mark Rogers, who is taking a brake from being a BASS Masters Elite Pro Angler and is guiding "O" and the Glades. He swears by his flat's style boat. So much so he told us that if he started fishing the Elites again it would be from one.
MegabassUSA.com

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:34 pm

Sounds like a Flats boat isn't such a bad idea.

Wondering if that Ranger with the fiberglass floor is a Coastal. Saw one at the Boat Show and it was pretty neat. They were like $37 in 07/08.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:16 am

GARRIGA wrote:Sounds like a Flats boat isn't such a bad idea.

Wondering if that Ranger with the fiberglass floor is a Coastal. Saw one at the Boat Show and it was pretty neat. They were like $37 in 07/08.
If it looked like a un-carpeted bass boat it probably was their Inter-Coastal model. Not sure you can get a poling deck with that model though. :-k
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:05 pm

I can't remember off had what Ranger boat he has but I'm pretty sure he had the top of one of their Bass models Fiberglassed.

I was looking around and found Big O Boats, they have some different looking boats like this one.
The Twister is also kind of amazing.
MegabassUSA.com

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:31 am

vArm wrote:I can't remember off had what Ranger boat he has but I'm pretty sure he had the top of one of their Bass models Fiberglassed.

I was looking around and found Big O Boats, they have some different looking boats like this one.
The Twister is also kind of amazing.
Yeah, I spoke with the owner of Big O Boats a while back. Neat how they have several floor plans and customize to one's needs.