Just a plain 'ole fish'in boat

kyangler52
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Just a plain 'ole fish'in boat

Post by kyangler52 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:42 pm

I'm not a bass pro, or a boat racer. I don't need 200 hp or a cabin cruiser. I've never owned a boat and have rented them most of my life. Now, I want a boat, but a very modest one at that.

The lakes around here contain endless little coves to explore and I just need a boat large enough to handle my 6'5" frame and a small but reliable motor to get me there and back. I'm thinking a used Lowe jon boat or something along those lines that will last me until I throw my last cast. I'd like quality, but I'll settle for something I can simply rely on. I really don't want a split-hull or platform boat. A decent trailer is also a must.

Any recommendations to steer me in the right direction?

518bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Just a plain 'ole fish'in boat

Post by 518bassin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:55 pm

I have a 1992 bass tracker pro guide v16. It's an aluminum boat single console with a 40 HP 2 Stroke and a 45lb thrust trolling motor. I didn't buy it new but have had it since 98' or 99'. I think I paid about 5 grand for it. It has been great for what it is. It's not a basscat but it will still do 32mph and I have been on Champlain with it in all sorts of crap weather. I would say go with any of the aluminum boats if your not gonna tournament fish there the best bang for the buck and you can beat the hell out of the hull a lot more than fiberglass.

kyangler52
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by kyangler52 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:37 pm

I was thinking more along these lines, but not necessarily a boat as old as I am. :?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage- ... 46012072fc

518bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 518bassin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:48 am

That will work just fine. The bass don't know what kind of boat you have :D you can still do a lot to a boat like that. You can put a gps/fish finder on it and install a trolling motor on either the front or the back.there is also a web site that some guys on here are part of.i think it's called tin boat.com or something like that. Anyway it's all about the type of boat your interested in and they have a forum talking about different things you can do to customize them. I'd say as long as you can stand up in it you will be good to go.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:43 pm

kyangler52 wrote:I was thinking more along these lines, but not necessarily a boat as old as I am. :?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage- ... 46012072fc
Perfect. =D>
That was going to be my suggestion. It's nice to be able to remove the motor and store inside for the winter or take it into the shop without having to trailer a rig.

You can add a trolling motor later if you choose (or use the oars). You can muscle that entire rig around without breaking a sweat. Launch from unimproved ramps. Get back into areas other bigger rigs can't. Pick up the trailer tongue and put it on the hitch ball without having to back the vehicle right up to the trailer. Not worry about a nick or a ding or staining carpet.

The perfect choice for the type fishing you described IMO.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

kyangler52
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by kyangler52 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:56 pm

Ok, thanks again for your comments. That one came up when I did a 100 mile radius search on eBay but I'm still going to see what's in the immediate neighborhood. Maybe Craig's List, too. That one is a bit on the high side for what it is, I think.