Mule Anchor

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mule Anchor

Post by USA-RET » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:50 am

Way back in 1979 I took a guide trip in Florida on West Lake Toho. The bass guide had an anchor in his boat called a "Mule" Looked like it was made out of lead and was a triangle with "MULE" molded into the actual anchor. It was shaped like a scalene triangle (as close as i can describe), with one very short side and two very long sides). The eyelet to tie to was on the very short side.

We had some horrible winds during that outing (not uncommon down here) and his boat never moved after the anchor was deployed. It would dig into the bottom and hold fast as the wind pushed the boat, when retrieved it would pull straight up and not have any debris attached. Basically washed clean and very easy to pull up.

When stowed for travel, it would sit flat on his deck and not move or roll around. I spent forever looking for one of these and never could locate one as they were discontinued. Until today.
mule-anchor.jpg
mule-anchor.jpg (20.23 KiB) Viewed 4981 times
he LAST ANCHOR you will ever NEED or OWN!! THE MULE

Convenient, Safe, Reliable.

No more Dings, Nicks or Scratches to your Gelcoat and Fiberglass with those bulky tedious sharp tined anchors that are difficult to get to hold as well as to remove from the bottom. Then try to store the things-- NO MORE HEADACHES.

13lb's of Environmentally safe holding power

RELEASES when you want it to, easy to store, safe reliable, efficient.

Will hold a 30 foot boat in 3 foot swells with ripping current.

THE ABSOLUTE BEST AND LAST ANCHOR YOU WILL EVER OWN is back due to constant requests by you (past owners and satisfied customers).
LIFETIME GUARANTEE

Any current users out there now. Want to see if my memories are still accurate on the performance aspects of this anchor :?:

At $80 and 13lbs., being able to deploy and retrieve from the front deck while not having to worry about storing it when running, I was thinking this may be worth revisiting after pricing Power Poles and Talons.

Aww what the heck, I ordered one. :lol:
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Mule Anchor

Post by DUZBASS » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:26 am

very interesting :-k

I am an avid shallow water guy and I would love a powerpole but the price is too high for what it is, this seems like a good option, but $80 is still a little high for an anchor. But, if it works as well as you say then it is worth that for sure.

does it work best tied up to a stern cleat? different bottom types (rock/sand/muck/weeds)?

thanks for the post
Düzbomb's Custom Jigs www.facebook.com/DUZBOMBS

Weedsnager
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Weedsnager » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:58 pm

the best anchor these days is hitting the spot lock button on your minnkota terrova trolling motor...this is the best invention in the last 10 years....try using the anchor you desricbed on lake michigan, in 50 FOW while perch fishing.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:20 pm

FWIW, I was contacted by the company and notified that they discontinued making the anchor due to the high cost of Lead.

Agreed, 50 ft water is not the ideal situation for this type of anchor, but in the shallow water lakes I fish, 8'<, it would have been idea. Using my Trolling Motor to fight the wind usually wears out the battery in 4-6 hours.

So, on to the Power Pole option. I can see my wallet shrinking now. :crying:
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:24 pm

Could you make a drawing of this anchor, or supply approximate dimensions? I have lots of lead and have made several anchors for my own use. I have found a foot long 2" diameter aluminum tube filled with lead, and spikes sticking out the sides to be the best river anchor I've used. My current one weigh 12 lbs. I'd like to make a "Mule" type anchor and try it out.

The mule anchor is available on Doug Hannon's website:
http://www.bassprofessor.com/elite/mule.php
Last edited by Reel Old Geezer on Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:50 am

Reel Old Geezer wrote:Could you make a drawing of this anchor, or supply approximate dimensions? I have lots of lead and have made several anchors for my own use. I have found a foot long 2" diameter aluminum tube, with spikes sticking out the sides to be the best river anchor I've used. My current one weigh 12 lbs. I'd like to make a "Mule" type anchor and try it out.

The mule anchor is available on Doug Hannon's website:
http://www.bassprofessor.com/elite/mule.php
This was the company I was referring to. Very pleasant folks to deal with.

I wish I could get my hands on one. The last "Mule" I saw was back in 1979. It was rather small. No more that foot -14 inches or so on long side and pretty low profile as the picture shows. I have tried anchors with spikes, and while they do hold the boat well, the lake I fish is hydrilla choked and extremely weedy, meaning the anchor brings up a gob of bottom that would gag an elephant. In the wind my plan was to raise and lower the anchor while leaning against the pedestal seat on my front platform. I could do this with one hand and not have to worry about snagging the bottom each time.

The mule retrieved clean every time due to the design. Amazing anchor and the reason for my near 35 year quest for one.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

Bryanp292
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryanp292 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:46 pm

Have you seen the Dig In Shallow water pole and mounts for boats? I've been looking at them on Tackle Warehouse and they seem to be a cheaper alternative to the Power Pole and Talon. Granted, the pole itself is the cheapest component, as the mounts are around $200. But, I like the fact I can use it at the front of the boat, also as a push pole, and just store it by my casting deck. Here is the link if you want to see it.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shallow_ ... e-SWA.html

http://diginanchors.com/

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:07 pm

Bryanp292 wrote:Have you seen the Dig In Shallow water pole and mounts for boats? I've been looking at them on Tackle Warehouse and they seem to be a cheaper alternative to the Power Pole and Talon. Granted, the pole itself is the cheapest component, as the mounts are around $200. But, I like the fact I can use it at the front of the boat, also as a push pole, and just store it by my casting deck. Here is the link if you want to see it.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shallow_ ... e-SWA.html

http://diginanchors.com/
My buddy bought one for the front of his boat. Problem is as the boat moves a bit laterally from the wind and the wave action causes the up and down motion, the pole pinches in the tube and will pull free from the bottom.

The do work in less windy and wavy conditions, however in those conditions the trolling motor can keep you positioned or even let the boat drift as you fish.

My problem is with 20 MPH winds and 15 inch waves, If I drift over a spot holding fish, I'm lucky to get two casts in before I'm past them. :lol:
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><